Favorite Campground near Bicycling Rails-to-Trails

dbp05ret

We were looking at departing Kentucky for a couple of weeks in February for a warmer and drier climate. We would like to go where there is some decent Rails-to-Trails for bicycling.  An area that came to my attention is the Brooksville/Inverness Florida area. This area came to my attention because of an upcoming event called Bike Florida 25th Anniversary  at the end on March 2019. I found a campground called Trails End RV Park near Floral City, Florida. This campground is about 4 miles away from Withlacoochee State Trail . I spoke to the campground manager and read numerous positive reviews about this RV park. I am not set on any particular area but I would like to stay East of the Mississippi. I have the following questions:

* Does anyone of any favorite campgrounds that are near really good bicycling trails that is in a warm climate during the month of February?

* Has anyone ever been to the Floral City/Inverness/Brooksville area?

Our bicycles are touring bicycles that are ideal for road or Rails-to-Trails.

Thanks!

Darryl

Florida is pretty flat lessening the need for rails to trails. If the opportunity presents itself, I suggest you ride Hwy 30a in the panhandle.  Might be able to reserve a lot at Gulf Shores State Park. I have ridden 30a several times and always enjoy the scenery and activity. Oh, you don't have to ride in traffic, there is a paved trail alongside the road (at least 90% of it). Still, at times, I move onto the highway for purposes of speed.

Enjoy your trip.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• 3 weeks later...

This is not rails to trails, but a nice place to ride in the winter. Enjoy riding bicycles on the beach and trails at Hunting Island SP SC. Been a while since we last camped there, hurricanes took some portions of the campground on this barrier island. Experienced heavy pollen during January, but enjoy the beach while camping there.

i-WjwgMDv-X2.jpg

i-gm7XQhW-L.jpg

The trail area is where some scenes were shot for the jungle portion of the movie Forrest Gump.

i-q59GGqS-L.jpg

Beautiful Sunrises

i-fpsdFmB-L.jpg

LE2

Bill,

Good info on Hunting Island. We lived in that area for 3 years back in the early 80"s. It was my wife's favorite beach. I did some research that there is a Rail to Trail in Beaufort that is a little over 10 miles in length. With grandkids  up the coast in Wilmington, NC, this is a great recommendation. Thank you!

Darryl

• Moderators

Darryl,

In that case be sure not to miss Huntington Beach State Park.  It is closer to Wilmington.  If you go, plan to spend a day right across highway 17 at Brookgreen Gardens.

Bill

1508414122686.jpg.d775908ce80236f80871057de64313c1.jpg

1508249919205.jpg.907c3654354fc677783a380c21d04826.jpg

1508414123109.jpg.0d0ab5dfa53d908ee3d87bc557d0f345.jpg

P1010974.thumb.jpg.47efa19d9a665818621a42043b088ccc.jpg

P1010999.thumb.jpg.0d1872f6052f89efeac22e6db47a2dca.jpg

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Well, the south area just reopened this past year, so, it is new.  However, there is more grass and "open" spaces on the north end.  In either case, try to make reservations as far in advance as you can - at least for the months of April through October.  There are plenty of hiking trails and since it is a gated State Park the traffic is light - particularly before 10am and after 5pm - with plenty to roads to ride (some closed to traffic too).

I know that there are a few sites on the north end that have sewer at the site - I don't know about that for the south end.  There is a very nice dump station just as you exit the north end.

Bill

P1020019.thumb.jpg.a8f18c88789b8d9752dfdd173b52391d.jpg

P1020016.thumb.jpg.02314ac6c93f969fecdedb882fe24d75.jpg

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...

Top Gun,

Thanks for info on Huntington Beach State Park. It is a really nice park. It is easy to get some bicycle riding in and the beach is very nice. I definitely appreciate the recommendation. We will be here a total of 4 nights before we see family in Wilmington, NC. This will be an annual stop.

• Moderators

Glad you like it.  Be sure to go over to the bay side either late in the day or (preferable) fairly early in the morning to see the spoonbills.  Also, if you take a walk or bike ride on what is called the "straight road" or "carriage road" (this is the original road to the castle from highway 17) be sure to look on both edges for gators.

Bill