6 gallon milk crates - do they fit?

Frank C

Based on dimensions (19” x 13” x 11”) the 6 gallon (24 quart) longer size milk crate should fit well in the basement storage of the Elite II for keeping things organized.    3 of them should fit according to the published Oliver storage size spec of 49” x 22” x 16”.  But before I order, has anyone used these?  Not sure they would actually fit through the door of the storage compartment.  Might just have to use the standard 4 gallon square milk crate since others here have said those fit fine.

24qt 4 Pack Black, Blue, Red, & Green Milk Crates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IUPR0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_k0qkCbMNKSVYV

F7F44D94-723C-433E-B724-BBA385314EF9.thumb.png.b657ee1574127dce9669a81baf21c1cf.png

Frank:

I have a SUV TV so my storage for "stuff" pretty much has to be in Ollie.  As such, I took great care on what I carry and selecting storage containers for the hold that I can use for multiple purposes.  Milk crates are less valueable on the road for most needs.  Also, the 6 gallon ones are often too heavy to move when out of reach in the back storage hold.  As such, I use only one "4 gallon" milk crate for the very heavy items in the hold.  It is placed in the far back of the rear storage area.  I also have one in the back of my TV.

As suggested by Phil at OTT, the Fortiflex 20 QU FB-120 Bucket works perfectly in the Ollie hold.  I highly recommend getting them at the Tractor Supply Company, 608 EAST MAIN ST, Hohenwald, TN 38462,  931-796-2528  Store #1346) after you pick up your Ollie.  Be sure to get the Fortiflex buckets with the FLAT BACK.  They are designed as a feed bucket that can be hung a wall.  That flat section allows you to dense pack several of these buckets very efficiently in the hold.

When I arrived at tractor supply, they very graciously allowed me to bring outside to Ollie some of their 20 qt and 8 quart Fortiflex buckets.  I went with a mix for flexibility.

I recommend getting buckets sized for different contents and sized to fit in the hold.  For example I have a large blue one for my garden hoses, water filter and the collection of clean water related fittings you will end up with.  I have a red large one for the Furion electrical cord, and a 27 foot 12 GA 20 amp extension cord coiled up.  In this red bucket I also have all the electrical connectors you will end up with.  I have two stacking 8 quart buckets for washing Ollie.  Stacked they fit in the hold, and I use them for the cleaning supplies you will end up with.

Granted the milk crate works great for my heavy stuff (Bearing supplies, spare brake pads, sockets, ratchet etc.), but the cords, hoses and cleaning/waxing supplies work best for me in the Fortiflex's.  Hence I recommend more buckets and less milk crates.  (Note:  You will want two buckets for washing Ollie.)

The pearl is to go to Tractor Supply with your stuff you want to store in the hold.  Then play with their buckets to see what works for you best.

Also suggested is getting a Home Depot/Lowes trash picking up wand before going to Tractor Supply.  This tool has a gripper on one end and a long handle.  The gripper works well to get the milk crate that I keep at the far end of the storage area.  It also works OK on the bucket rims as well.  It would be very handy to have while you are at Tractor Supply playing with your buckets.    :-)

I hope some of the above helps.

• Thanks 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

John, thanks for all the great advice.  I’ll check out Tractor Supply.  I have a very large SUV, a Ford Expedition EL (Extended Length version) as my TV and a roof rack cargo box on that.  My wife and I did a lot of car camping in the Expedition so we’ve learned to pack pretty efficiently.  The Expedition fits a full size mattress in the back so it was great for car camping, very comfortable.  But we decided it was time to upgrade to a travel trailer with a bathroom and shower instead of having to use the campground facilities.  So that storage in the Expedition plus the Ollie basement, closet, overhead bins, etc should give us plenty of options.  Looking forward to our delivery in the Spring.

• Moderators

Yes they do fit nicely.  The crates themselves are pretty light weight but you can load them pretty heavy as they are very sturdy.  I use a boat hook attached to a piece of pvc pipe to pull them out.

Good luck,

Mike

601AF75E-A1C8-4131-AB17-841F9CA07963.thumb.png.2e1cc69825b7028893b142d0aa517f1c.png

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

We tie a light line (rope) to the crate to pull the crates out. We have an extendable boat hook we use to push them in. The boat hook has the double benefit of being able to screw on a brush to wash the Oliver with. You might want to consider having at least one standard milk crate. A 20 or 30 lb. LP tank will fit in there securely. The crate keeps the tank from rolling around when you take them to refill.

• Thanks 1

Those crates fit pretty much perfectly in the basement. I use three plus some smaller containers from amazon to fill the space behind them (four milk crates wont fit).  Those small ones I access from inside, while the milk crates are easily retrieved from the outside hatch. Electrical in one, hoses in the second and larger spare parts in the third.  The small containers are for electrical bits, plumbing, nuts and bolts, and misc. repair parts.

So generally I only get into the two milk crates that sit by the outside hatch. If I have to get to any of the others, something has gone wrong. Camping gear, first aid, tools and recovery gear go in the truck, since we might need that stuff when away from the trailer.

Like Maniac said, a couple small crates in the back of the truck work great for storing chocks and stuff like that.

The ones on amazon aren’t as well made as what we used to procure from behind the grocery when in college.  I’ve broken two of the handles on mine already. I wish I could find some of the old wire ones.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all for your input.  Looks like I’ll be using a couple 6 gallon crates in the Ollie II basement (now that you guys have confirmed that they fit well) and a few 4 gallon crates that I already have in the back of the Expedition to keep everything organized.

Frank C:

Don't forget two buckets for washing Ollie!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Frank C:

Don’t forget two buckets for washing Ollie!

Why two?

I bought a cool folding Camco bucket, cleaning stuff, wash brush, cleaner, rags, etc etc etc,  and carted it all around for two seasons. I never did use it, not even once. I guess if I was on a long trip I might need it.

But with the outside coated with Rejex, a quick spray with fresh water at a quarter car wash, with no soap, gets it clean in a few minutes. Driving away blows off most of the water, so no spots.

No need for washing stuff IMHO. I would rather have the space for other gear... all that is needed is cotton rags and detail spray to get off bugs and small stains.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.