How to block rear compartment light intrusion?

Bobfirst

• Moderator+

Apparently you have the translucent doors? The other three options (black, white and mirrored) don’t have that characteristic. The only solution would be to change that door’s ability to transmit light. You could paint the backside!!!

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Piggy backing on Steve’s assumption of the translucent doors you could try some cling type window film.  Or go really low tech and tape an old shoe box lid over the breaker panel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725G9KS2/ref=sxts_kp_bs_1?pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=xgUW9&pf_rd_r=JXDABXDFKB5RZJZJNHB5&pd_rd_i=B0725G9KS2&pd_rd_w=QW0ZZ&pd_rd_r=23a27c43-3f73-4b38-84c8-1ea78f084cf5&ie=UTF8&qid=1546363365&sr=1

Have fun,

Mike

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I would first try placing a small piece of light translucent film/tape over the LED light sources that offend.  If one does not darken it enough, add a second over it.  Much easier than film/painting the cabinet doors.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I painted the back of ours, then covered that with some black vinyl to protect the paint.  Looks like a chalkboard because of the matte finish of the plexi. I’d post a pic but it doesn’t really come through in a photo.

At first I thought it looked out of place with all the gloss finishes in the trailer, but I decided to live with it for a while to see if it will grow on me. I’d prefer to put a mirrored door there but my wife objects. If I don’t like the look after a while, then I'll ask Oliver if I can get one of their black doors.

By the way, if you spray paint it and don’t like it, you can take the paint off with acetone and it won’t hurt the plastic, so it’s reversible with a little effort and time. I’ve considered repainting mine with silver paint to see what that looks like.

Also, for those of you who have mirrored doors, the vinyl trick works well on those to protect the mirror finish.

• Thanks 3

Thought I'd try taking another photo to see if it would show the matte black better - this is just generic black spray paint applied to the back of the frosted door.  I still get some light around the edges at night, but it's much better than before.  I have some additional equipment in there with LEDs that make it a bit brighter than stock.  I could probably experiment with some weatherstripping to see if I can get it all blocked.

I think you could use any color, so long as you covered it with vinyl to make sure no light gets through.  I told my wife that I might paint each door a different color and she threatened to hide the keys.

IMG_2721.thumb.jpg.710c1a781e9bd39c3e5fd4847ec1794c.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

Overland -

Exactly what did you use for the vinyl on the back of the doors?  How did you get the vinyl to stick - spray glue, contact cement?  Or, did you just use "Contact" paper to start with?

I'm thinking about covering the back of my mirrored doors with clear "Contact" paper.  Guess I could use a patterned "paper" but I happen to have some clear on hand that I've been using for laminating.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Search for Oracal 651 vinyl on Amazon.  It’s utility grade vinyl used by sign shops, often as a mask for sandblasting. It’s thicker and much more protective than the stuff they use for actual vinyl graphics. Very similar to contact paper but it has a stronger adhesive.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

All of the LED lights for electronics, etc are annoying!

For those of us with thin eyelids, as my husband describes me. Yes, they are. I like sleeping in a cave, I guess. 

I will say, I  sleep better in our Ollie than I  do, anywhere. 

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.