Bathroom Door Hack

ShallowGal

• Moderators

That looks like a great way to hold the door open! There are a couple of other ideas at the link below.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-bathroom-door-hold-open/

B21A4144-B5AB-48E4-A76F-FF2647C7804A.thumb.jpeg.fe120c637b89ed42ad6b0c32fbe5f066.jpeg

I did add a couple of stick-on bumpers to decrease the magnet strength.

CF9A6743-DB0F-48FB-AB1F-C5FB47B77482.thumb.jpeg.54e49190a18d2973889011a312a49fd7.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 3 weeks later...

Mike:

I purchased the same SUPER magnet catches.  I am amazed at the holding power and thought they would warp the door frame.

Can you expand on the "Stick On Bumper's" you used?

Thanks!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I purchased the same SUPER magnet catches.  I am amazed at the holding power and thought they would warp the door frame. Can you expand on the “Stick On Bumper’s” you used?

I avoided the problem of the magnets being too powerful: I put one magnet inside the storage area under the dinette seat. You can read more on the link that Mike lists above for other ideas about keeping the door open.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators
Mike:

I purchased the same SUPER magnet catches. I am amazed at the holding power and thought they would warp the door frame.

Can you expand on the “Stick On Bumper’s” you used?

Thanks!

I used the little stick on bumpers (either rubber or felt) that are used to sometimes cushion cabinet doors and drawers. I got them at Home Depot or Walmart. Should be easy to find.

Before we left on this current trip I did Spike’s solution and removed the one on the side of the dinette and moved it inside. Still enough magnetic power but the door doesn’t warp when you disconnect, plus it looks better.

• Thanks 1

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I guess that there might be a few reasons one would want to secure the bathroom door in the open position.  I know that since I travel alone 90% of the time, I prefer to simply leave it open.  Obviously this is difficult to do if the Oliver is "tilted" towards the curb side.  Another reason is you want to leave the bath door open as either you are using the bath and/or getting/putting things in or out of the bath.  And yet another - you want to exhaust air with the bath fan while bringing air into the Oliver with the MaxAir fan.  I'm sure there are more but I'm guessing that you get the idea.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The heat in the bathroom circulates a whole lot better with the door open. It is so tight for air flow in there that with the bathroom door closed the exhaust vent struggles for air unless the door or window are open. That is why we put an additional vent from the main cabin when using the dinette so we could close the door.

Edited by Mainiac

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Just curious why you want to secure the bathroom door open.

As Bill says, sometimes you want the door open and stay open, like after a shower sometimes to get air through.  If you are a little off level it will want to swing shut.  If we’re not sitting in the dinette we have the door open.  At night, especially in cold weather, we want it open so it stays warm for those late night bathroom visits.  With the magnet it detaches easily to close and stays open otherwise.  Mike

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

When our trailer is out of service, parked at the house,  I routinely prop the bath door open, leave the bath vent open a smidge, and our cabin vent open a little for fresh airflow.

While we're camping, I'll often do the same, along with running the fan and opening the bath window to circulate air while we're out exploring or hiking. The trailer is secure, but fresh air is circulating. 

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos. Forgive me, I work from a phone. 😄
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 5 weeks later...

Could someone who installed the magnets - one on the door and one on the inside of the dinette seat post a link for the magnets used?  Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Could someone who installed the magnets - one on the door and one on the inside of the dinette seat post a link for the magnets used?  Thanks

Here you go -install with 3m double sided tape. 

73C25DB8-25B6-4AFF-A3BF-B00A92E07052.png

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

9 hours ago, Patriot said:

Here you go -install with 3m double sided tape. 

73C25DB8-25B6-4AFF-A3BF-B00A92E07052.png

How did you attach?

Ray and Susan Huff

How did you attach?

Please read/look at the post above by Mike and Carol above....Jan 19. I installed one magnet under the inside dining table wall so it is not visible vs the outside wall. Then just installed the other on the shower door as Mike’s photo shows. 5 min install. The magnets are very strong.

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/7/2020 at 5:38 PM, Susan Huff said:

To watch TV when your on the _ _ _. 

trainman

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

56 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Please read/look at the post above by Mike and Carol above....Jan 19. I installed one magnet under the inside dining table wall so it is not visible vs the outside wall. Then just installed the other on the shower door as Mike’s photo shows. 5 min install. The magnets are very strong.

I wasn't clear . . . . I meant to ask how you attached the magnets to the dinette seat and door . . . .  I read a prior post and see they have been attached with tape.  Searching for double sided tape I find: Command strips 3M Double sided VHB foam tape, and another called "nano" gel tape (removable).  Not sure what to use.  Am I making this difficult, or what? 😕

Edited by Susan Huff

Ray and Susan Huff

40 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

I wasn't clear . . . . I meant to ask how you attached the magnets to the dinette seat and door . . . .  I read a prior post and see they have been attached with tape.  Searching for double sided tape I find: Command strips 3M Double sided VHB foam tape, and another called "nano" gel tape (removable).  Not sure what to use.  Am I making this difficult, or what? 😕

No worries, you can just use 3m double sided tape. I did and it holds just fine. Just a dry run without the tape backing removed, match the magnet up with the door when you close it. Check for connectivity, mark the magnet location, then peel and stick the magnet in place. Done.

• Thanks 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

3M Command Tape will be your friend in an Oliver.  We use it to hang paper towel holder, iPhone shelf, door magnets, pictures, hooks, etc.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Am I making this difficult, or what? 😕

A lot of questions have been answered before.  Patriot posted the magnet information above as you requested and said he used 3M double sided tape.  In the other thread on this subject I explained that I used 3M Command Tape.  Most of us don’t mind repeating answers to questions so don’t feel like you are making things difficult, we certainly don’t.  If you do, then you can just review already posted threads before asking.  Otherwise, we’re okay with lots of questions.  Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

A lot of questions have been answered before.  Patriot posted the magnet information above as you requested and said he used 3M double sided tape.  In the other thread on this subject I explained that I used 3M Command Tape.  Most of us don’t mind repeating answers to questions so don’t feel like you are making things difficult, we certainly don’t.  If you do, then you can just review already posted threads before asking.  Otherwise, we’re okay with lots of questions.  Mike

Thanks for your kindness 😊

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, Susan Huff said:

We keep the dogs' waterbowl in the shower.

• Like 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL