3 Great Oliver videos. Elite, Elite II and Factory tour

ackcr500

Thanks, I had not seen the trailer tour.

It continues to PISS me off that the hidden storage areas are shown to the world in videos and mainstream magazine articles... With enough exposure they are no longer secret, which was the whole point of putting them there. These should only be shown to future owners or on a private tour.

Anyway.... that horse has left the barn, thanks again.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 5

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I've only watched about twenty minutes of this, but, I've already learned a bunch more than I knew.  Nice job by Phil and the camera work.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for bringing this up John! There is absolutely NO reason why this should be known to anyone not in the Oliver family. Do people reveal these hidden spots when showing there trailers? I sure as hell don’t. No need to know EVERYTHING till you put down your money!

• Thanks 1

Have a GREAT day!

2017 Oliver Elite II (Hull #278)

2017 Chevrolet Suburban 

Nice video, though I agree with the above.  I realize that it's part of the sales pitch but Oliver staff should definitely ask people to not video those compartments.  Perhaps also, Oliver could ask Dori & Mena to edit those bits out (are they forum members?).

I'm curious about the new drawer clasp - would like to see it in person and see if it can be retrofitted.

New fridge is nice.

Just go ahead and store whatever in these compartments labeled "Warning: Not Storage".  (I do, lol.)

I'm not a fan of the shower curtain track - the stainless rods are just a far superior solution.  And why Oliver doesn't put a mirrored cabinet door in the bath as standard is beyond me.

Generally, it's always interesting how many of the features they tout were pioneered by owners.

• Thanks 1

And why Oliver doesn’t put a mirrored cabinet door in the bath as standard is beyond me.

They did on ours when we ordered black cadinet doors for the rest. Also put a mirrored on the rear that I did not want and would not allow me to change it to black to match the others. Im sure they have there reasons but never gave me a answer why but I have got use to it and kind of like it now.

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• Moderators

These are good videos and should help the Oliver cause.  I agree about the hidden storage, not so hidden anymore.  The random thief probably doesn’t watch YouTube videos on Oliver trailers so probably not too big of a big deal.  The new trailers look nice and I like some of the upgrades.  A lot has changed in the last few years.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I just watched the factory tour video and have to say that's the best tour video I've seen by a long shot.  Tons of good info for prospective buyers and current owners alike.

I had to laugh at the Casita guy who doesn't like the Oliver because it's not modifiable.  That poor man has a serious lack of imagination!

• Thanks 2

To Oliver the compartments are a selling feature.   This has been brought up many times and they will just not stop letting these be filmed and photographed.  Makes me want to sneak in to all the demo trailers with a tube of liquid nails!

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Well it definitely doesn’t require a crowbar to gain access! But what would be ‘neato’ is having a few places that really are not that obvious to the local thugs to keep items in. With that being said, I would think that the odds of having your trailer being broke into would be pretty small. So your saying there’s not a chance of “ the type of person that would break into your trailer would be watching videos”? Well, a google search on YouTube shows that there are quite a few bored individuals watching everyday in the US. 70% from a mobile device. What’s your neighbor watching while enjoying there campfire;)

Have a GREAT day!

2017 Oliver Elite II (Hull #278)

2017 Chevrolet Suburban 

At least once when in a campsite, someone stopped by our trailer in the evening and told us that after they saw our trailer they went on youtube and looked up videos about it.  I'm used to telling people about the trailer, not having them tell me about mine, so that was a little weird.

The problem with those compartments is that if someone knows about them, then they also know that's where the valuables are to be found.  Then all it takes is waiting for you to take a walk around the campsite without locking up, or maybe hanging out by the campfire distracted - 15 seconds later and they're in and out with whatever they find.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
At least once when in a campsite, someone stopped by our trailer in the evening and told us that after they saw our trailer they went on youtube and looked up videos about it. I’m used to telling people about the trailer, not having them tell me about mine, so that was a little weird.

The problem with those compartments is that if someone knows about them, then they also know that’s where the valuables are to be found. Then all it takes is waiting for you to take a walk around the campsite without locking up, or maybe hanging out by the campfire distracted – 15 seconds later and they’re in and out with whatever they find.

Has anyone figured out a way to secure the tops with something other than Velcro that would make them more secure?  Some kind of hinge with a hidden pin?  I like these areas not just because they aren’t obvious but because they are nice extra storage areas.  Seems like there should be a way to secure them without advertising what they are.  I’m going to give this some thought, there has to be a simple yet effective solution....

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Mike, at one time, I looked into using some solenoid activated cam locks that would hold the lids down.  Release would be accomplished through a hidden switch.  I didn't pursue it so now I just store stainless steel hardware, extra batteries, fuses, suction cups, and lots of little misc stuff in there divided among seven little plastic totes.  Nothing valuable. The valuable stuff is stored behind the M18A1 Claymore mine.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Thirty  years ago,  we lived in a smaller home without a dedicated office. We had a cabinetmaker build an 8 ft long credenza with four long filing drawers. To keep the front cleanlined, and prevent our child from opening the heavy drawers, the cabinet maker installed latches operated by a separate magnetic knob that we hid inside a clock case. No power source required.

I've seen newer rfid electronic versions since. These require a battery or a low draw power source.

Either might work to make your top seem permanently attached, but remiveable with a magnet or key card. .

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Not trying to be confrontational but I am curious.

You all must carry a lot more valuables then we do. Most of mine fit in my pocket. We carry computers and tablets in the truck which is more secure then the trailer and has a alarm on it. We even leave our camper door unlocked most of the time because if someone wants in I would rather they just go in and take what they want then rip our door open. We leave nothing of any value in the camper. Opening the camper door is so easy if they don't care about damaging it that's its a joke.

What kind of things need to be so secure?

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Not trying to be confrontational but I am curious.

You all must carry a lot more valuables then we do. Most of mine fit in my pocket. We carry computers and tablets in the truck which is more secure then the trailer and has a alarm on it. We even leave our camper door unlocked most of the time because if someone wants in I would rather they just go in and take what they want then rip our door open. We leave nothing of any value in the camper. Opening the camper door is so easy if they don’t care about damaging it that’s its a joke.

What kind of things need to be so secure?

Those spaces aren't for locking things up securely.  They're more for just keeping things out of sight in case someone does come in or peeks in the window.

Campground theft is about opportunity.  It's unlikely anyone is going to bother prying open your door unless they know for sure that there's something in there worth getting.  But if a bad guy sees you head to the bathroom with a magazine and a roll of toilet paper, or he sees you and your spouse socializing with someone three spots down, then he might pop by your trailer and check the door.  In just a few seconds he can scan the place for a camera or iPad, he might check the closet and take that nice Patagonia jacket, maybe grab the spare set of keys you left on the table, or he might just grab a beer from the fridge.

• Thanks 2

Campground theft is about opportunity.

and I would suggest - risk vs reward.

I understand the concern around theft, personal injury, and the like. I will keep doing what's worked for the last 61 years.  Use common sense, take appropriate precautions, and go enjoy the day.

When young, we had little of value to others, now, older, somewhat more prosperous, we try not to be ostentatious with our stuff. Inside the Ollie, we put valuables - where ever- but out of sight. The really valuable - wallets, "puters" and such go into the truck, hidden and locked. Casual campsite attendance - similar - unless in use. If we leave for a time. lock the door - it keeps the honest - somewhat honest.

I will admit, for years I rarely if ever worried about crazy, desperate people - who may pose a personal health risk. And as such, we now carry the appropriate defense hardware.  My spouse is trained on hardware use, as am I, we both have and carry appropriate documentation, and have no qualms sharing this predilection.

One thing I have come to discover is the fear, or perhaps its dislike, that many people have towards big, health looking dogs. Although our Chessie is a big lovable, muscled  up, powerful  - powder puff- some people are very "attentive" when he is around. I'll take it, its like one of those Security company signs - visible, but, not really actionable.. I must admit- I wouldn't want him pissed at me - as he has never shown to be an angry dog... well there was once this Fed Ex guy... What Harley does - is few get close without a warning signal or two.

Secret hiding areas - ok, I doubt few casual crooks know about them - how many Ollies are out there- compared to the rest - well its not in my wheelhouse of concern.

Instead of one of those "ask me about my Grandchildren" signs, perhaps I'll post a recent target practice sample and a small metal sign: "Ask me about my Glock".

As far as the Tour video, I appreciate the effort, but to a recovering manufacturing addict, it just leaves me questioning their methods and processes. Not hating, it is just reality. As well as the products appear to turn out, Oliver has a long way to go in the manufacturing arena. I went on the tour, was satisfied they had a decent handle on small scale production, however,  little if any documentation, visible  process verification, etc.  I digress. I like my Oliver, I appreciate the design, and I like showing it to others. Now if we can just get more time, free unfettered, time.

Well, have fun all, life is short - enjoy it.

• Thanks 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

As far as the Tour video, I appreciate the effort, but to a recovering manufacturing addict, it just leaves me questioning their methods and processes. Not hating, it is just reality. As well as the products appear to turn out, Oliver has a long way to go in the manufacturing arena. I went on the tour, was satisfied they had a decent handle on small scale production, however,  little if any documentation, visible  process verification, etc.  I digress. I like my Oliver, I appreciate the design, and I like showing it to others. Now if we can just get more time, free unfettered, time.

I mostly agree, though they've definitely improved the past few.  The one thing that gets me is that they don't physically separate their fiberglass production, cutting, and assembly areas.  There's dust everywhere and you can even see in the video where the guy has to stop and pick out dust when spraying the gelcoat.  It's all over the parts shelves and the floors and follows the trailers through delivery.  And there's no way it's healthy for the workers.

• Thanks 2

“I have valuable things inside, including a nice gun.” ?

I am still to trusting, nonchalance - If you will. For "camping", or whatever one calls it, The firearm is usually in the area - but not "handy".  Each time I hear about a "close by"  incidence where personal protection would have been advisable, I tell myself - you should carry more often. But I haven't so far. Near home, to town, around the home place, I just don't, - headed to the beyond, we bring the Glock, or whatever is necessary.... unless its 'BIG" bear country, we don't carry when hiking. Bear spray fits in the pack nicely, suppose it works on humans?  My son, the Alaskan, has this really cool, large caliber handgun - now that gets ones attention - he carries it on all his hiking in the back country.  Due to his "career" he's rarely not within reach of a firearm.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I did very much enjoy those great videos!!  Thank you so much.  Just a thought, but since the hidden storage cubbies being shown have given many owners pause...would it be an easy fix to simply make those spaces lockable? Without a key, they would be very hard to get into and take much time.  If the locking mechanisms were centered in front, the owner would have easy access to open with their key, but the lock would be hidden underneath the lip.  I am not an owner YET, but it would seem like an easy fix to give owners peace of mind and deter those who seek to steal.  Again, I did so enjoy these videos!

“I have valuable things inside, including a nice gun.” ?

I am still to trusting, nonchalance – If you will. For “camping”, or whatever one calls it, The firearm is usually in the area – but not “handy”. Each time I hear about a “close by” incidence where personal protection would have been advisable, I tell myself – you should carry more often. But I haven’t so far. Near home, to town, around the home place, I just don’t, – headed to the beyond, we bring the Glock, or whatever is necessary…. unless its ‘BIG” bear country, we don’t carry when hiking. Bear spray fits in the pack nicely, suppose it works on humans? My son, the Alaskan, has this really cool, large caliber handgun – now that gets ones attention – he carries it on all his hiking in the back country. Due to his “career” he’s rarely not within reach of a firearm.

What I meant was that thieves love to steal guns.  Advertising that there might be one in your trailer is a big invitation.

• Thanks 1

Just two things....... then I will shut up.   <for a bit anyway>

1.   The whole hidden compartment debate centers around Oliver “advertising” their existence over the objections of quite a few loyal owners. at least imho.

2.  Some well meaning advice for those who choose to carry firearms (really.... I am writing this with the best of intentions).

Don’t advertise that you have them in any way.  It’s not only keeping the bad guys ignorant, it’s the good guys too.  There are states (NEW JERSEY) that will send you to JAIL for being in possession of your legally owned pistol that is unloaded and locked in a case.  Yes, even though federal law allows this and is supposed to “pre-empt” state law. It’s happened, look it up.  Don’t answer questions from law enforcement about firearms and NEVER consent to a search of your vehicle.  I am not anti-cop and am an ex-LEO.

‘Next up on guns.   Educate yourself on the use of deadly force in self defense.  An excellent book is the Law of self defense by Andrew Branca.  No one ever “wins” a firefight. If you do everything right you are still looking at about five years of hell,  possible financial ruin, and loss of career (if you are still working).

Off my soapbox for now.  Happy and Safe travels my friends.   Hope to see you at the rally.

Scotty

• Thanks 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg