Shower drain backup

• Moderator+

You need to check that backflow valve and make absolutely sure it is open. You will have to look under the front dinette seat and physically look at the valve there. Make sure that the control cable has not slipped. Does the shower pan back up if water is running into the shower drain?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Happened to us in Texas. We went away for the day, and left the bathroom sink dripping somewhat.  By the time we got back to the site we had flooded the bath and upper hallway with water running out the upper hallway (at least it was clean water). A neighbor had noticed the water and turned off our water supply. From that day, to this, I turn off the water supply when leaving for an extended time.

• Thanks 3

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

Glad you figured it out.  But this raises an interesting point.   Given that Oliver has a long flat gray tank, and the front (tongue) end of the Oliver is where most of the “wet” stuff is such as the bathroom sink, shower drain, toilet, and the kitchen sink is kind of in the middle, and the gray and black water drains are at the back end of the trailer, does anyone keep the tongue elevated slightly, maybe just 1 degree or so, as standard practice when leveling at the campsite, to help keep the tank filled mostly towards the back end of the trailer, to avoid this kind of overflow issue, and to help with draining?  This would still be well within the level requirement for the fridge operation.

I never felt the need to raise the front routinely. There have never been drainage issues, even when I overnighted off-level without running down the stabilizers or unhitching. I do not recommend raising the tongue, unless you have issues. If that happens it might make sense to cure the plumbing problem rather than to minimize the symptoms.

OTH early trailers without the fresh water pickup tube mod will greatly benefit from a nose-high posture so you can use some of the trapped 12 gallons of unusable water.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

The reason I suggested checking for level is because this happened to us once. The shower would not drain. I thought we might have a clog. My bubble on the front jack showed level. I pulled out my “trailer level” and checked inside the trailer and found the front low. Once I leveled the “clog” disappeared. I also adjusted the jack bubble level, something that needs to be done periodically. I have raised the front when dumping to speed the process but keep the trailer as level as possible for camping. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I always raise the front of the trailer a few degrees. I want any rain water to run off the rear and not near the door. Also the bath sink and shower drain better. The refrigerator door does not swing open against the hinges either. Also makes for better dumping if you have full hookups.

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Being new to trailers and will pick up Hull #444 in April 2019, leveling has been much on my mind. Have researched Andersen levers, lego blocks, LevelMate Pro, but still unsure about leveling. Reading this recent discussion, it occurs to me a simple carpenter level might be a good purchase. Please recommend best length and type level to add to my stash. Other suggestions are most welcome.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

This works really REALLY great, after you seal the ends to prevent leaks.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-install-a-big-bubble-level-no-drilling/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
Being new to trailers and will pick up Hull #444 in April 2019, leveling has been much on my mind. Have researched Andersen levers, lego blocks, LevelMate Pro, but still unsure about leveling. Reading this recent discussion, it occurs to me a simple carpenter level might be a good purchase. Please recommend best length and type level to add to my stash. Other suggestions are most welcome.

I’ve got a 12” level that fits in a canvas tool bag that is stored in the closet. It’s small enough to be used at a variety of locations.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Unless you are particularly sensitive to things being exactly on level I wouldn't worry too much about this prior to delivery.  After I took delivery of my Elite II I placed a couple of small bubble levels on each side and on the front nose primarily because I found that the level that is located on the front jack just would not stay adjusted properly, and, it was simply easier to see and use these others from various locations without the need to have to always go back to the front jack.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We added two bubbles to the front, one on the tow bar and one on the propane box.  That gets us 90% level in both axes.  I just mounted them with VHB tape - no screws.  After I do the initial leveling, I check the bathroom door swing and fine tune the jacks so that the door doesn't budge.  That's actually a bit off-level for us, side to side, but not enough to notice so having the door stay put is the better trade off.

To get the last two gallons of fresh water, I'd have to tilt the trailer back and to the curb side.

• 10 months later...

We just experienced a gray tank backup into the shower pan (we can see the water level right at the top of the drain).

We've been in the same camping spot for a week. The tank level was at 88%, so we weren't worried.

Found this thread with the forum search.

Checked the level on the trailer and found that during the week, the trailer had settled into a nose down (1" low) position.

I raised the front into a 1" high orientation, and after some initial gurgling into the shower pan, the water level dropped back down the drain.

Noticed the other tank levels also changed significantly in the nose-up position. Didn't appreciate how sensitive the tanks would be to leveling and will be paying more attention to that in the future!

• Thanks 1

2019 Legacy Elite II #488 - Delivery July 24, 2019
2018 F150 Platinum SC SB EB - Leer canopy