Outdoor propane grill and griddle recommendations

hobo

I’m sure there are exceptions , but for the small grill and Little Red Campfire that I use it has not been a problem. I have this setup on our Casita at the present time with no problems. For appliances that require a larger volume of LP gas to power them correctly you would be right on the regulator setup.

Our campfire also works right off the quick connect with no problem. I forget the brand. But I’ve noticed that the flames are lower than when connected directly to a bottle. Our charbroil grill will light but it won’t get hot enough unless I swap its regulator for a simple valve.  Then our partner stove won’t even light unless it’s connected directly to the bottle. So it does depend on the particular appliance and for grills I suspect it depends somewhat on how hot of a grill you prefer.

I removed the regulator from our Weber 1200 and replaced the hose on our Little Red Campfire to eliminate the requlator on it and run both off the camper quick connects and they run great. I use the shut off on the quick connect to control the height of the Campfire. The Weber has its own valve to control the heat. I think you will have a problem running through 2 regulators.

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

I am old school and love cooking over real fire/charcoal. I would not trade my Char griller sidecar for any grill. The one I have has lasted over 10 years.

We also use an original two burner coleman camp stove (20+ yrs old)

789792224244.jpg

2019 Elite II Hull 435, 2022 Toyota Tundra

• 4 months later...

I just tell about our experience. We bought gas charcoal grill combos. And it turned out to be very convenient. we also always have an extra gallon of gas, but several times we have already been helped by the opportunity to cook on coal in unforeseen situations. Our last purchase (and we believe it was successful) grill combo model Char-Broil Gas2Coal. But an inconvenience you will have to contend with is the lack of height adjustment grates to control heat when charcoal grilling. This is particularly grating, pun unintended because the charcoal tray sits very close to the grates which may cause burning or flare-ups. The gas tank is also placed at the back of the unit, which requires more effort to access it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I contemplate how I will use my Ollie in the future I know that I too will be doing as much grilling outside as possible and therefore my experience using my Marine Grill, MAGMA, is my first choice of grills.   While this cooking surface area is somewhat small, the efficiency of this powerhouse marine grade stainless steel grill makes up for its size.  I’ve used this on my 1950 Chris Craft boat ? on Lake Michigan.  Wind does not adversely effect it.  You can use 1 lb propane canisters or best of all direct connect to the Ollie’s Quik Connect.

17770650-805B-458D-A28E-ACEBF4BEBE97.thumb.png.989e8513a2460392cd6f91f42d357d9b.png

My understanding is that the regulator installed between the LP tanks and the “device”, i.e., refrigerator, furnace, hot water, or outdoor grill provides the proper pressure. Simple attach an appropriate sized LP hose w/ fitting to the MAGMA grill.

Something like this is what I've used with my trailer and a simple conversion from the "bottle" style connector to quick connect.

From Amazon:

Grill-hose.thumb.jpg.767539ca6ad5c2fd9aa043924db47f44.jpg

And I would be using this type of bottle to NPT connector.

https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Propane-Adapter-Accessories-Connection/dp/B07MTZW866/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=1%2Blb%2Bpropane%2Btank%2Badapter&qid=1570546407&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-19&th=1

In this case you would replace the connector on the end of the extension hose, with this "Small Tank" connector.

61FsR0AXaYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg.7b12abd2e3d97ac5698f94d3dd260db0.jpg

• Thanks 1

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

I have such good luck with Weber grills that I opted for the Weber Q1200 and purchased the low pressure conversion kit for it. I installed it yesterday and everything works as advertised. I hope we have the same good luck we have with our other Weber grills. We have had our original Spirit grill for 25 years and I replaced the burners for the first time last year as a precaution and not because it was required. I have gone through a few grills grates and flavorizer bars until I settled on the stainless for both, one in NH and one in PEI.

• Thanks 2

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

I used a Weber Q1200 for a couple of seasons but replaced it with a Cobb Premier Grill for a number of reasons. The Weber didn’t fit in the basement of the Elite II and the Cobb does. The Cobb uses charcoal rather than propane. The Cobb is also much more versatile—check out the website and see what you can do with a Cobb. I also like to cook outside on a propane stove. I opted for a Partner Steel stove. It’s very powerful and easy to keep clean.

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
On 10/12/2019 at 2:17 AM, donthompson said:

I used a Weber Q1200 for a couple of seasons but replaced it with a Cobb Premier Grill for a number of reasons. The Weber didn’t fit in the basement of the Elite II and the Cobb does. The Cobb uses charcoal rather than propane. The Cobb is also much more versatile—check out the website and see what you can do with a Cobb. I also like to cook outside on a propane stove. I opted for a Partner Steel stove. It’s very powerful and easy to keep clean.

I’ve been very happy with my Weber Q1000 modified to run off of the trailer quick connects.  The only annoyance is not being able to have two heat zones.  I’ve been researching propane camp stoves to supplement my Weber, mainly Coleman and Camp Chef.  Unlike the old days, they are all made in China.  Don mentions Partner.  Another Oliver friend, Ken C, also mentioned Partner.  Research shows Partner Steel is in Idaho and their camp stoves are hand made there and very durable.  They are also a bit pricey.  Does anyone else have experience with Partner?  The 22” double burner looks like a nice unit.  I don’t mind spending more for quality that will last.  Thoughts?  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Mike, I  saw a Nexgrill today at Costco, about the same size as the Weber q1000, but two 304 stainless burners, shielded by horsehoe shaped covers, piezo ignition, cast aluminum body. Cast iron grates, which weren't super heavy, but probably close to the weight of the Weber's.

So, theoretically,  two zones, 6500 btu each,  much higher btu than the q1000. $129 in my store, $139 delivered, including shipping from costco. Com.

Recent reviews were overall good, even from Weber owners. Older reviews complained about the unshielded burners, and food sticking to the grates, primarily. I suspect they've made some changes to the product,  at least for Costco. With Costco's generous return policy, I don't think I'd be afraid to give it a try. I  didn't look, but I'd guess it's made in China. Or elsewhere offshore.

Anyone bought a Nexgrill Fortress portable grill recently?

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have a Partner 2-burner. The quality is unbeatable but there are two issues that I think make it a problem: 1) it requires high pressure lp, so if you want to run it off your Ollies propane you’ll have to split off a line before your regulator; and 2) it’s very hard to get a low simmer flame on it. 

If neither of those bother you, then get one without hesitation. But if they do, then I think the Camp Chef would be the better buy. 

For us, I’ve found that the low pressure issue isn’t a big deal since we’ve decided it’s easier to just use canisters rather than pull out hoses for our grill and stove. The simmer issue bothers my wife more than me, and I believe it’s more a problem with not being able to see the flame in bright light than not being able to get a low flame out of it at all. 

Having said that, the truth is that as it turns out, we don’t use the parter stove that often. Generally I’m outside manning the grill while my wife prefers to stay inside and cook on the stove. 

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1

I let everyone know I have changed to a direct LP hose from the trailers LP ports and not going thru two regulators as was my first setup. I did find that the Little Red Campfire did work ok mainly because we don't run it on full open, but our grill I could not get max LP flow thru two regulators, thus I changed my setup to direct flow from one regulator (the trailers regulator) to the appliance being used. 

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.