How to Repair Outside Courtesy Light

MandD

I am under the impression that those lights are leds. That being said I would guess you replace the whole unit. Evidently the new units do not have that gasket that leaks black streaks, so I would call Oliver and order a new one. Also ask what they seal it with. Guess you could swap with one you don't use?

• Like 1

I apologize for the confusion. The LED light I am having trouble with is below the main body of the trailer. I call these lights the courtesy lights as opposed to the bigger porch lights on the side of the trailer body I think you are referring to.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture of the courtesy light to post.

I call those puddle lights, like the ones in some cars that illuminate the ground as you exit the door. They are exactly the same lights as those inside the cabin down low, and they are LED with two dinky wires coming out the back. If you have a dead one it most likely has failed internally and you just need to replace the assembly. OTH maybe a spliced connection has failed, you could remove the light and test the power wire with a voltmeter, and check the ground wire with an ohmmeter.

Use a flat screwdriver to CAREFULLY pry the steel cover off the light, don’t damage the gelcoat. (Put some duct tape or a few layers of masking tape on the gelcoat if you want some protection.) Take out the two screws and the light and wires will slide out of the hole.

Good luck..

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I like these outside courtesy lights. They allow one to see what might be on the ground at night on both sides of the trailer, whether it be a puddle or a snake. One upgrade I would have liked to have is two more courtesy lights--one at the back and one at the front of the trailer, enabling one to see the ground all around the Ollie.

• Like 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• 1 year later...

Great information.  Does anyone know the part number or where to order a new puddle light?  I have a puddle light with only 2 of the 3 LEDs working.  It appears the lens has a crack in it.  Not to big a deal but would like to replace.  I also assume the puddle light is the same for all Olivers as mine is a 2015 Elite II. Thanks!

Edited by WandR

Walter & Rebecca| 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II | Hull #104 | "SoGo" | Nissan Titan SL 5.6L w/ Tow Package

ALAZCOIDIAKSKYLAMIMSMOMTNENVNMOHSDTNTXUT

• Moderators

This looks like my lights and at $15, your not going to go broke ordering a pair.  You might also call the service department for a replacement.

Mossey

https://www.pactrademarine.com/courtesy-lights-c-47_29/2-pcs-led-rv-trailer-white-oblong-courtesy-light-p-1588.html

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 4/20/2020 at 10:46 PM, mossemi said:

This looks like my lights and at $15, your not going to go broke ordering a pair.  You might also call the service department for a replacement.

Mossey

https://www.pactrademarine.com/courtesy-lights-c-47_29/2-pcs-led-rv-trailer-white-oblong-courtesy-light-p-1588.html Transfers Orly

Thank you very much

I wanted to share that the outside courtesy (puddle) lights that Mossey recommended. They are a perfect fit.  I have attached some before and after pics.

Thanks Mossey!

-Walter

fullsizeoutput_4e84.jpeg

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

Edited by WandR
  • Like 4

Walter & Rebecca| 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II | Hull #104 | "SoGo" | Nissan Titan SL 5.6L w/ Tow Package

ALAZCOIDIAKSKYLAMIMSMOMTNENVNMOHSDTNTXUT

• 2 years later...

The outside courtesy light on the front passenger side (under the refrigerator) of our LEII has failed. I took it out, and one of the wires (not the red one) apparently separated at the splice because it is cleanly cut about 4 inches away from the light assembly, and the splice it pulled away from is not at all accessible with finger or pliers. 

Jason said that I can take the refrigerator out (um, no thanks) or fish a wire to the back courtesy light and splice it in there. 

I ordered a new light, but I can't reach the old wire, or the main wires bringing power to the light, so I bought an endoscope. Using the endoscope and also using a fish tape, I cannot locate an opening from that tiny outside compartment under the refrigerator to the area inside behind the kitchen drawers. 

Has anyone had to re-run a wire like this? 

MBALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRRISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg

One thing to remember about those lights, our 2019 model lights are not as bright as our friends 2021 lights are, so when ordering you can get different brightness and your lights may not be uniform. Oliver may be able to help with that, but not sure.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Wonder if they have a "Bug Light" replacement version?

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Thanks, trainman. 

Geronimo John, what Bug Light are you referring to? Is that something from Oliver? 

I talked to Mike yesterday, who went out in the shop and spent quite a bit of time looking at units under construction, and he said that my only real option is to remove the refrigerator and the refrigerator floor. He didn't recommend that, and I wouldn't go through all that for a light anyway. 

So now I'm looking for a battery powered, motion sensor driven LED light to put there. The motion sensor will trigger it when going in or out and hopefully the batteries will last a while that way. I'm sure the light will be brighter than the courtesy lights, and Mike recommended an auto parts store film or cover to dim it down. 

This is turning into quite the research project. 

MBALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRRISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg

• Moderator+
1 hour ago, MattE said:

I talked to Mike yesterday, who went out in the shop and spent quite a bit of time looking at units under construction, and he said that my only real option is to remove the refrigerator and the refrigerator floor. He didn't recommend that, and I wouldn't go through all that for a light anyway. 

So now I'm looking for a battery powered, motion sensor driven LED light to put there. The motion sensor will trigger it when going in or out and hopefully the batteries will last a while that way. I'm sure the light will be brighter than the courtesy lights, and Mike recommended an auto parts store film or cover to dim it down. 

This is turning into quite the research project. 

If you're traveling in the vicinity of Tupelo any time soon, I can show you how to run a new wire for that light or if you have an afternoon we'll just fix it.

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 11/4/2022 at 9:39 PM, Geronimo John said:

Wonder if they have a "Bug Light" replacement version?

You can try using an amber Lamin-X film:

https://lamin-x.com/universal-products-automotive/

I have done this for my porch lights, and it seems to reduce the level of bugs. I have not attempted to install this film on the courtesy "puddle" lights. 

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

I had a brake light failure, curbside upper. Oliver sent me a new one, and that was an adventure to install, considering that the procedure was conceptually simple. To get the light off, I had to figure out how to pop off the chromed-plastic ring (Jason didn't know exactly where the clip points were). Then I had to remove the screws and peel the fixture off of the caulk/sealant. Wires were very short, and I had to cut them as close to the old light as possible just to have 2" of working length. If I had lost the wire inside the hull, I would have had to either crawl into the trunk or try to access it from the heater opening under the mattress, and either would have involved removing and replacing the insulation. Then I had to scrape off the old sealant without losing the wires, butt-splice the new light, stuff the butt splices and most of the wire into the hull, apply new sealant, and finally screw the light back into place, snapping on the new chromed ring. Jason was very helpful during all of this.

I was fortunate that it went this "easy", and I do not envy your need to run a new wire. Please post your experience in doing so. It's great that we have such an experienced set of owners to help, and a company that will also go the extra mile for its customers.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 1:38 AM, MobileJoy said:

You can try using an amber Lamin-X film:

https://lamin-x.com/universal-products-automotive/

I have done this for my porch lights, and it seems to reduce the level of bugs. I have not attempted to install this film on the courtesy "puddle" lights. 

Mobilejoy:  It was your post about not finding an actual amber LED replacement light and having to do a covering film that prompted me to ask if anyone has found an amber light we could use instead. 

My experience with films has been good, but over time, especially in a stone hazard zone (like under Ollie), they eventually start "leaking" white light rays.  i would rather replace the white light source with an amber one and not have to mess with it again.  Hence my question. 

I'm not an outdoor low wattage LED expert for sure.  However, surely someone knows of a small LED low wattage 12V amber light that would fit into these fixtures  or better a fixture such as Mossey's for this application.  If not, then MobileJoy's  amber Lamin-X film solution would be acceptable I think for the Porch light as it is not in a flying rock zone.

GJ   

Edited by Geronimo John
Added clarification.
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Mobilejoy:  It was your post about not finding an actual amber LED replacement light and having to do a covering film that prompted me to ask if anyone has found an amber light we could use instead. 

My apologies for confusing courtesy and porch lights!

Mossey

Edited by mossemi
Correction
  • Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

10 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

My experience with films has been good, but over time, especially in a stone hazard zone (like under Ollie), they eventually start "leaking" white light rays.  i would rather replace the white light source with an amber one and not have to mess with it again.  Hence my question.

GJ, I do not remember posting this. I have checked my past posts and cannot find one in which I mentioned searching for an amber LED replacement light. I used the Lamin-X film having read the thread linked above by Mossey (and other threads). I have not used this film on the courtesy lights. It is holding up well on the porch lights (although it has only been one camping season and about 5K miles; as you said, time will tell).

I would also prefer to replace the lights.

• Moderators

Certainly there are a number of automotive suppliers that have 12 volt LED lights - think marker lights, grill lights and the such.

There are even LED lights that come in a strip that can be cut to length and I assume that the amber color would be available.  Like THESE perhaps?

Let the search begin!  Good Luck!

Bill

Edited by topgun2
spelling
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks MobileJoy, Mossey and WandR!  

Some terminology confusion between Courtesy (Puddle) lights and Porch Lights.  Regardless, the idea on the table is to locate both Courtesy (Puddle) AND Porch "Bug" lights.  From Mossey we have the below recommendation.  At .5 watts, that would seem to be a great solution to 50% of the effort.  thanks Walter for sharing Mossey's find.  

In my case, I would like to  replace the Courtesy (Puddle) light at the door entrance with one of these.   The other Courtesy (Puddle) lights don't give me much concern from a bug intrusion.  If you see any down side to this logic line I would appreciate your thoughts.  

image.png.191e3594b433b8e37de4272e7d8f0591.png

Moving up about 6 feet, I suspect that the porch lights are a higher wattage than the Courtesy (Puddle) lights.  Any suggestions for a suitable wattage LED Bug Light for this application?

Many thanks,

GJ

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 4:17 PM, MattE said:

Geronimo John, what Bug Light are you referring to? Is that something from Oliver? 

Matte: 

I often think that our Owner's Forum IS the heart and soul of the OTT Research and Development Department.  Seems that they do implement our ideas and solutions on a regular basis.  Sometimes takes a while... but they do pay attention to our musings.  This is yet another GREAT part about owning an Oliver.  SO... if we are their advanced R&D team, then I would say yes, it likely having a "Bug Light Option" will be something from Oliver.    🙂  LOL!  

PS:  Love your traveled map.  Impressive!

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

If you see any down side to this logic line I would appreciate your thoughts.  

Only for the sake of symmetry is the one out of three lights "questionable".

Wouldn't it be nice to get those LED's that change color via a remote?  That way you could have your "bug" light and "holiday" light and "light" light and "red" (night vision) light or whatever.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"