7 pin connector

snowlakemike

I broke my connector. I THINK I plugged it in, but after possibly 400 miles dragging on the road there is not much left of the actual plug. The wires are still there (mostly).

Wondering how to know which color wire goes to which connection after I get a new plug. Is there anything special about ours that a mechanic should know?

I know I saw a diagram of the unit somewhere online but can’t find it just now.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• Moderator+

Try this, Mike. If that’s not suitable, google 7 wire trailer wiring.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Hi SnowlakeMike.

I am not an electrician under any circumstance! Several years ago my seven pin connector was not working properly and I was afraid to pull Revilo to an RV dealer to get it fixed with lights not working properly. I asked many questions and then bought a new plug.  I took pictures  and carefully noted how it was hooked up.  So far so good.  I disconnected the faulty plug and installed the new plug according to my notes.   Again, so far so good.   Until     I tested the turn lights, etc.   Hmmmmm.  And the lights worked.   But     the right turn light turned on the left turn light and the left turn light turned on the right turn light.  I knew I had hooked up the new plug exactly like my notes said.    But     what I didn't know to ask was the direction of the plug when hooking up the wires again.   I asked more questions and discovered that I had hooked the wires in the opposite direction.   After making several changes to the wiring on the new plug, I succeeded in getting the wires connected correctly and finally,   all lights worked.  I tell you this because, as I stated previously, I am  no electrician but I managed through trial and error to change the 7 pin plug by myself.   It works perfectly now.   Since I gained a little bit of confidence from this adventure, I decided to tackle the problem of the electric jack no longer working. After a few calls to the manufacturer to try and determine if I needed a new expensive electric jack, the most helpful person told me how to change the part in the top part of jack. It was about $25 as opposed to $450???   Anyway, long story to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT by yourself  (change the 7 pin plug) if you so choose.   Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

Take some extra time and do it the way it should have been done at the factory....

F86B6DEC-5DA3-44C0-84CF-8617FFA029B8.thumb.jpeg.6d53546d0e44253808008c7f31cb934e.jpeg

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-junction-box-for-trailer-harness-repair-or-extend-the-harness/

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Take some extra time and do it the way it should have been done at the factory….

F86B6DEC-5DA3-44C0-84CF-8617FFA029B8

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-junction-box-for-trailer-harness-repair-or-extend-the-harness/

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,  I agree.  I recently re-wired my BriMar equipment trailer removing all original wires, replacing all lights with LEDs and best of all, replacing the crappy little house-hold metal junction box (yes the factory did that) with the box you used above.  Neat, easy to read what goes where and not a box full of wire nuts, weird colored wires, and who knows what. else.  Nice job.

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Thanks to each of you who responded for the help with my connector. With your help and the grace of God, I was on #10 east by 9:30 am.  Currently traveling from South Texas to South Carolina.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)