half-ton trucks

cptdondo

Please excuse the drool – I am a sucker for the old Power wagons, any old vintage workhorse 4WD of that era. I’ve almost always stop and inspected them every time I drive past one. I remember a few in CO, a couple between here and there, and a really cool one – somewhere in AK.

Have to admit, we like Toyota pickups, but would like to see a Vintage truck towing an Ollie, too! :)

Bill #75 LE2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our longest Tundra/Ollie tow day was 720 miles so far

Do you use the Anderson hitch? (We also tow with a Tundra and own an older Tacoma. Love them both.)

No, we do not use the Anderson WDH.

Our LE2 weighs close to 4950lbs with 460lb tongue weight, empty water tanks. The Tundra's operators manual requires WDH when towing trailers above 5000lbs.

Guessing the majority of LE2s come in over 5000lbs to 6000lbs ready to camp, maybe heavier. We do not have solar panel system with 4 batteries and do not carry as much LP gas as most folks. We use 110V portable induction cook top, 110V 1500W portable heater, and rarely use LP gas. We're not Boondockers yet, camp with shore power 99% of the time while traveling around the nation.

Keep Ollie's spare tire in front portion of the pickup bed with Tundra's spare tire.  We use the Hayes electronic Sway Master and it activated (applied trailer brakes) a couple of times when traveling down mountains entering curves too fast, learned my lesson and slowed down. The Sway Master cannot be used on all vehicles.

Weight is balanced nicely between the front and rear axles of the 5.7L 4X4 Tundra with Ollie connected with 460lb tongue weight and full 38 gallon tank:

Maximum Front Axle Weight 4000lbs Actual Front Axle Weight With Ollie connected and two people on board: 3420lbs  

Maximum Rear Axle Weight   4150lbs Actual Rear Axle weight with Ollie connected and two people on board: 3460lbs

Plan to install rear axle air bags on the Tundra next.

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

.Keep Ollie’s spare tire in front portion of the pickup bed with Tundra’s spare tire.

I get carrying the truck spare up front, that is nifty. What is your reasoning for carrying the Ollie one there?  Taking it off the normal location will increase tongue weight a little. Or do also you carry extra stuff on a rear rack?

Thanks

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

.Keep Ollie’s spare tire in front portion of the pickup bed with Tundra’s spare tire.

I get carrying the truck spare up front, that is nifty. What is your reasoning for carrying the Ollie one there? That will increase tongue weight a little. Or do also you carry extra stuff on a rear rack?

Thanks

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

We carry less LP gas, so keeping Ollie's spare tire in the pick up bed with reduced LP gas load, reduces Ollie's weight. Tongue weight is at 460lbs, still within Tundra's recommended trailer tongue weight. Keep Ollie's fiberglass spare tire cover installed for looks even though there's no longer a tire under the cover. We don't carry gear on Ollie's rear bumper. Could also mount a full size spare tire while keeping Ollie's spare in the back of the pickup bed, but have not acted on that idea, yet. :)

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

I'm reading this thread and I'm actually a bit nervous about picking up our 2019 Ollie in May.  We have 2017 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi engine.  4x4 crew cab with the 6'.4" bed.  Towing is 9830, tongue weight maxes out at 1100 lbs.  Payload max is 1450 and we have a fiberglass shell thing (I'm female, don't know what it's called, LOL).  3.92 rear end/axle ratio.  Gross cargo weight rating is 15,950.  This info is from the spec sheet for the truck.

Is this light duty truck possibly not up to the task of pulling an Elite II with most options including the box in front with a small Honda generator.  I don't know that my husband will have much sense of humor about buying a new tow vehicle, he was under the impression that the truck would be more than adequate.  Our priorities are safety first, and I'm now concerned.

I would appreciate some input on our tow vehicle.  Thanks!

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

Steph -

Relax!  Primarily, the basis of this discussion has to do with those people that tend to carry a BUNCH or stuff with them (i.e. a lot of tools, extra propane, extra kitchen sinks, etc.).  If you are not full time living in the Oliver, are not pack rats and/or do not carry a bunch of extra stuff all the time, I would not worry about it.  The basic issue is the payload.  Since you have stated that you have 1450 pounds of payload to work with then simply add the weight of the passengers (people and animals) plus all of the other "stuff" that you are carrying around in the truck and if it is below that figure - you are good to go.  If it is above that figure then look for "stuff" that you really don't need to carry.  For most of us this is not a problem.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Steph, your truck should be fine for towing an Elite II, make sure it has an integrated brake controller and go with the Andersen hitch (Oliver will set it up) and you can have many years of enjoyable towing. Before I had a clue, I towed mine with '13 Sierra 5.3L without any hitch setup and it did fine. Don't plan on racing people up the passes on the way home and dial up the brake controller for going back down and everything should be great. Any extra weight over what the truck payload can handle can be placed in the trailer as that would be where your extra numbers will be found.

As to performance TFL Truck has a new video comparing the 5.0L F150 vs Ecoboost (turbo) when dealing with the pass, while not the Dodge it can give you an idea

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Steph and Steve,

Your Dodge Ram 1500 pickup is more than adequate and will serve you as a safe Ollie tow vehicle!!!

We have towed our LE2 out west from the Carolinas with our 1/2 ton pickup and do not need a larger tow vehicle. We plan to tow Ollie with our Toyota Tundra for years to come!!!!!

Congratulations on your new Ollie!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

I recommend that you reconsider the front cargo tray. If you delete that option and instead carry the generator inside the truck towards the front of the bed, it lightens the tongue weight significantly. Plus you get more maneuvering room since you don’t have to worry about jackknifing the tray into the truck. Your generator will be out of sight, out of the weather and dirt, and MUCH safer from thieves.

I think carrying lots of weight on the tongue of the trailer is a mistake, regardless of tow vehicle. Especially if your TV has marginal payload. If you must carry heavy stuff on the trailer a rear rack works better, keeping the tongue light.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I didn't mean to highjack cptdondo's thread but I also didn't want to begin a new one.  I appreciate the feedback received regarding our Ram 1500.  Good thoughts and suggestions, thanks everyone!?

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

Since you have stated that you have 1450 pounds of payload to work with then simply add the weight of the passengers (people and animals) plus all of the other “stuff” that you are carrying around in the truck and if it is below that figure – you are good to go.

Don't forget to add the tongue weight of your trailer to the payload calculation, which on the E2 is north of 500 lbs. (460 on website). The other "stuff" could include toppers, bed mats, spare gas/water, and all after market accessories. That said, you should be fine and safe in your Ram, at least to get you going.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter