Bigfoot to an Oliver

MoHillbilly

Has anybody here gone from a Bigfoot TT to an Oliver?  If so I was wondering what your thoughts are after the fact.

I'm in the market for a travel trailer and basically have it narrowed down to Oliver, Bigfoot, and Lance.  Would like to get an Oliver but the time frame to get one delivered isn't really an option for me.  So I am forced to look at other options and seeking knowledge.

Thanks

Welcome, I know nothing at all of Bigfeet.... OTH are you aware that there are a number of used Ollies for sale here in the Classifieds? You could have one in a matter of days or weeks, not many months.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/oliver-campfire/classifieds/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thank you.  I am aware of what is available in the classifieds here.  It is one of the reasons I finally stopped lurking and registered.  I still have many questions waiting to be answered from the Oliver sales department which will influence future decisions.   I recently lost my motorhome to a fire incident so my plate is pretty full right now and I am back working on the road again to boot.  I'm not giving up on Oliver yet.

Thanks again - MoHillbilly

The OTT Sales, Delivery Team and Service staff are all very helpful, and I give them high marks.

However, I suspect that most prospective OTT Owners spent far more time here on this Forum getting the info they need and want.  I know this to be the case for me last winter and spring.  This forum and the "Oliver University" (Located under the Travel Trailers tab), provided answers to my questions that can't possibly be covered in a brochure or sales web site.

The OTT forum is graced to have eight designated "Moderators", and several hundred owners that give their time to share experiences and knowledge from an owner's perspective.  None of us get paid to do so, it is simply the nature of our owners to willingly want to help out new and future owners.  In one respect, I think that the owners take as much pride in our trailers as does the OTT team does in making them.

To this owner, one of the aspects of the OTT Forum that is most valuable is the depth of experience that our fellow owners have.  We may not all agree on everything, but odds are the person asking the question, and many of us newer owners as well, will get several wise and usable responses to a question.  In reality, to just about any question imaginable.  I know that this has been my experience and hope that it is yours as well.

So, welcome to our forum and ask away.  I think you will be amazed!

• Thanks 4

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
Has anybody here gone from a Bigfoot TT to an Oliver? If so I was wondering what your thoughts are after the fact.

I’m in the market for a travel trailer and basically have it narrowed down to Oliver, Bigfoot, and Lance. Would like to get an Oliver but the time frame to get one delivered isn’t really an option for me. So I am forced to look at other options and seeking knowledge.

Thanks

Bigfoot makes a very nice trailer. You’d get more living space and a dry bath if you went with the 25 foot model. Lance is one of the better stick built trailers but is entirely different from the Oliver and Bigfoot. With the Oliver you get a double hull, smaller footprint than a Bigfoot, and more dry camping capability. Oliver also has great factory support and a growing user community that is available to help when needed. There seems to be a surge of used Olivers for sale right now, it might be a good opportunity to get one without waiting. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I seriously considered a BigFoot 25 foot trailer but after actually looking at one, although good sized, it is your traditional wood frame, wood this, wood that...ect. trailer.  Wood floors with vinyl covering.   It's also wide.

When I looked at the underside it was a mess.  All in all, a heavy duty version of a traditional maintenance plagued trailer.  The unit I saw was less than a year old and there was rust and peeling paint on the frame already needing attention.

I was leaning heavily toward the BigFoot until I saw an Oliver.  Game over.  My wife and I both agreed immediately that the Oliver was a much better product.  Also, the BigFoots are built in Canada (west coast) so support would be poor for those of us on the east coast.

NO CONTEST!  Oliver is a much better unit at the start and will be so for many years to come.

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Thank you for the info.  I have looked all over the internet for bigfoot videos showing at least some of the components, frame, etc.  None to be found.  Even called them up and requested some basic information regarding construction.  Zero response and I do not expect any.  So I removed them from my list of potential travel trailers.

Thank you Mike.  I have been putting a lot of time and effort into researching new RV's as I was unexpectedly put back into the market.  I have quite a bit of time into researching Bigfoot products and had a list of simple questions I sent them.  Zero response.  Called them up this morning and was basically told to look at their website.  I no longer have a desire to research their product further or make the effort to find one to look at.

I get the Oliver's are a great unit.  I understand there are some used ones here in the classifieds as well.  For the money they are asking for the used ones I am of the mind to order one with the options I prefer, etc.  That brings the issue of waiting for one to be built into play and I may not have the time to wait.  I kinda settled when I bought my motorhome due to logistics and the time crunch I was under.  I don't plan on doing that again.

I haven't given up on getting an Oliver just yet.  There are many things I like about the Oliver but a few things I do not.  I'm just not going to rush into anything at the moment.

Thank you Mike. I have been putting a lot of time and effort into researching new RV’s as I was unexpectedly put back into the market. I have quite a bit of time into researching Bigfoot products and had a list of simple questions I sent them. Zero response. Called them up this morning and was basically told to look at their website. I no longer have a desire to research their product further or make the effort to find one to look at.

I get the Oliver’s are a great unit. I understand there are some used ones here in the classifieds as well. For the money they are asking for the used ones I am of the mind to order one with the options I prefer, etc. That brings the issue of waiting for one to be built into play and I may not have the time to wait. I kinda settled when I bought my motorhome due to logistics and the time crunch I was under. I don’t plan on doing that again.

I haven’t given up on getting an Oliver just yet. There are many things I like about the Oliver but a few things I do not. I’m just not going to rush into anything at the moment.

Thanks again – MoHillbilly

I would recommend a trip to the factory for a tour.  You're talking significant $$$ for anything you're considering so a quick trip to Hohenwald is time and money well spent.  I believe once you have gone through the factory and seen one up close and personal, you will be able to make an informed decision.  Again, I was sold on a Bigfoot as was my wife (due to size and purported "quality") but when we actually saw an Ollie, the decision was easy.  Sounds like you're an experienced RVer so you will instantly see what the Ollies are all about.  Doesn't mean you'll decide to purchase one, but at least you'd know the product.  Just a suggestion.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

They have the factory tour on this website so you can just stay put and watch it.  Also, the Oliver factory had 2 or 3 of their 23' campers for sale at the plant.  You could add any option you wanted on them..just saying, because they are already built so that would cut some construction time out.

• Thanks 1

They have the factory tour on this website so you can just stay put and watch it. Also, the Oliver factory had 2 or 3 of their 23′ campers for sale at the plant. You could add any option you wanted on them..just saying, because they are already built so that would cut some construction time out.

Hello - thanks for the input.  I do not think they have anymore Elite II trailers built and ready for sale.  The last one I was aware of was sold recently and it had too many options for my liking.  For me - the less holes and wires they put into the roof the better.  So I did not even attempt to buy it.  I have been cruising the classifieds and find many the same way and asking/wanting more money than I can order one to my own liking.

Thanks again for your input and happy travels - MoHillbilly

They have the factory tour on this website so you can just stay put and watch it. Also, the Oliver factory had 2 or 3 of their 23′ campers for sale at the plant. You could add any option you wanted on them..just saying, because they are already built so that would cut some construction time out.

Hello – thanks for the input. I do not think they have anymore Elite II trailers built and ready for sale. The last one I was aware of was sold recently and it had too many options for my liking. For me – the less holes and wires they put into the roof the better. So I did not even attempt to buy it. I have been cruising the classifieds and find many the same way and asking/wanting more money than I can order one to my own liking.

Thanks again for your input and happy travels – MoHillbilly

From my limited perspective (only been into the Ollies for about three years doing research), seems most buyers (almost all) pretty much max out on the factory options relative to what goes on the roof.  The only item we didn't order for ours was the satellite dish.  If you're looking for a semi-clean roof, you're not likely to find it in the used market.  Knowing how the Ollie is constructed (double hull fiberglass) I for one wanted the factory to install anything that I might ever want up on the roof vice me having to worry about it later.

Howdy Hobo,

I understand that train of thought regarding everything installed. From my view all of those roof top options are available in a portable form and can be bought and used as needed. To each their own. The Oliver is a great unit but Logistically it’s not an option for me at those time.

Thanks - Mohillbilly

Howdy Hobo,

I understand that train of thought regarding everything installed. From my view all of those roof top options are available in a portable form and can be bought and used as needed. To each their own. The Oliver is a great unit but Logistically it’s not an option for me at those time.

Thanks – Mohillbilly

At this juncture, sounds like you've ruled out the BigFoot and the Oliver.  Seems as though the issue is resolved; your only other mentioned option was the Lance.

As you say, "To each their own."   See you on the road.

You might take a look at Black Series campers. They’ve been in Australia for a while, and they just started up a factory in SoCal. I toured some of them earlier this year and they seem well made.

Thank you.  I had these campers bookmarked but haven't researched them a whole lot.  I will give them another look.

Happy Trails - MoHillbilly

You might take a look at Black Series campers. They’ve been in Australia for a while, and they just started up a factory in SoCal. I toured some of them earlier this year and they seem well made.

Thanks for suggestion.  Those are pretty darn cool.  If the RV was just for me, that is what I'd be looking at (or their toy hauler version).  The other unit I was contemplating is the Conqueror off road RVs.  However, Conqueror doesn't have an internal shower, only an external one.  Not real appealing to most women.

I think if the quality of the Black Series proves to be good, they should do well within that market.

Conquerors are heavy duty, but personally I don’t think they’d work well for travel in the US. Too much to set up every day, too much canvas for use in a wet climate, and like you mentioned, no indoor kitchen or shower for cold nights and mornings.

I had a chance to buy a used one from someone who actually lived near us, but I declined after watching their setup video - lots of insert tab A into slot B sort of stuff.  I think in daily use it would be too much of a pain to set up the entire kit.  And with all that canvas, I couldn’t help but think we’d be buying a big box of mildew.

I think they’re probably great for warm and dry climates like South Africa.