Protecting the front of our Oliver

Is the automotive clear paint protection film easy to remove

I don’t recommend that you install it yourself, it is very difficult for larger areas, especally for compound curves. Plus you lose the warranty. For headlights and small flat sections like between the spare tire and hull, it is really simple for you to do.

You need to understand  that protecting the front of the trailer with a coating or film does NOT stop stones from shooting back at the TV, nor does it stop damage to the trailer chassis, axles and the trailer’s rear bumper and back part of the hull (and rear lights). You can still expect some TV tailgate and bumper paint damage, or worse yet, though very rare, a busted rear window in the hatch or canopy. So it might be prudent to also install film there before you start to see paint chips....

I guarantee that after only an hour or two on gravel or fresh chip-sealed highway you will see some chips on the rear of the truck... and stones lying on top of the TV and trailer bumpers. The only sure way to really protect everything is by using a Stone Stomper, and mudflaps and guards under the trailer.

533386E5-ABA7-46C2-8499-2CCA5B26B2F5.thumb.jpeg.7eeeaec1922afc36a469edff1f25ff96.jpeg

0D80C82C-914D-4FCA-9708-9E45DB756DAD.thumb.jpeg.b82770e9a661a6cb195b9555e528c4ba.jpeg

For 95% of owners this is completely unnecessary, but I suggest at the very least rear mudflaps on the Ollie if you plan to regularly tow off pavement.

John Davies

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Is the automotive clear paint protection film easy to remove

Yes, is very remove easy to remove using a hair drier or a heat gun. Contrary to what John says it is also easy to install and goes around bends very easy. It's made to apply around bumpers and mirrors on cars and you can pull it around almost any curve. The curves on the Oliver are easy to go around. It applies like window tint. I had never installed it before so bought a little extra to experiment with. I made a pattern out of paper for my templates. If you follow the instructions and use the proper soap mixture it just slides around until you squeegee it down. If you look close at the picture I posted above you can see the line in the middle. I used 18" bulk material so it is 18" up from the bottom. I also installed it along the bottom behind the tires. The bulk material can be bought in many widths. Like I said it has been on for a year and still looks great and no road chips. I have no need for something as complicated as John installed as we don't travel the kind of roads he does.

https://www.invisiblemask.com/imask/index.php?route=common/home&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMDiBRDNARIsACKP1FFhTmefn6lgAAQUFvkL9MiMMxnIsPNCYmWZvvCjFPDOxWUlasd9F04aAgVnEALw_wcB

• Thanks 4

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

I used the same stuff on my mountain bike...it's a lot cheaper in bulk!   Very forgiving to apply going around the curves of a bike frame.  How much did you end up buying to do the front end of the Ollie?

Tow with 2018 Chevy Colorado baby Duramax, plug-in solar--dual awnings.  

I used the same stuff on my mountain bike…it’s a lot cheaper in bulk! Very forgiving to apply going around the curves of a bike frame. How much did you end up buying to do the front end of the Ollie?

Also, Which brand?  3M or Suntec?

In the 3M world, I think there are different grades, thicknesses.  Can you touch on that point if you happen to know?  I heard there are some 3M products that don't yellow as much as others.  Thanks

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel