Tools for an Oliver

hobo

I don't have our unit yet but am wondering in the "tool box" are Olivers primarily SAE or metric?  My guess is major structural components are SAE but many if not most accessories are metric.  Probably need a complete set of both but wanted someone to confirm my suspicions before I start piecing it together.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I don’t have our unit yet but am wondering in the “tool box” are Olivers primarily SAE or metric? My guess is major structural components are SAE but many if not most accessories are metric. Probably need a complete set of both but wanted someone to confirm my suspicions before I start piecing it together.

I carry both SAE and metric; they come in handy when needed.  A multi meter comes in very useful at times and I never travel without it; you should obtain a spare set of fuses.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Another addition that's handy, and we hope to never need it, is a "short" 2 ton bottle jack that will fit under an axle if you have a flat or a blow out.

Most taller jacks won't fit when the tire is flat.

I also carry all previously mentioned. Don't forget the screw drivers.

Best, Bob

• Thanks 1

To be precise, all the equipment made by OTT is SAE.  They have zero metric.  However, the other items made by others may be a mixed bag.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

MODERATOR:  Please feel free to move this side topic to another area of the forum if appropriate.

The topic of Ollie's jacks or "On-Board Leveling Devices" (OBLD's) that are used to level our Ollie's" is discussed elsewhere on our forum.   For legal reasons they are no longer referred to as "jacks" so as not to be confused with real jacks as suggested above by Permit Bob.

Personally, I call a John a John and a Jack a Jack.  Ollie's "Jacks" (OMG, did I use that word?) err..... "On Board Leveling Devices" (OBLD's) are the same ones that OTT Owners have used for years to level Ollie, fix flats and rotate tires.  Nowhere on our Forum, or for that matter anywhere else have I seen or heard  of any information about Ollie's OBLD's failing when properly used.  Nor have I any indication that the Ollie's OBLD's capacity have had their design compromised over the years.  It does appear that due to Supplier liability concerns, their documentation was changed to discourage such uses, and as a result, OTT documentation had to be changed as well.  I can understand the legalities.

That said, our Oliver OBLD's appear to have far more capacity than that needed to raise up a side of our trailers when properly used.   I suspect that many Olive owners continue to use their OBLD's as Jacks.  I would wager that this renegade group of Owners also tears off their mattress tags even though the lawyers tell us not to do so!  I would submit that the majority of this group does not carry an extra jack for this purpose.  I suspect that if forced to, as a last resort, we would get creative with the one in our TV.

Should you chose to use your Oliver OBLD, there are some safety thoughts that I believe prudent when changing tires.  Some are:

Pick an area that is "Side to Side" as level as possible with firm ground/pavement to change your tires.  Doing so helps prevent "Side Loads" on the Oliver Jacks.  Side loads can compromise most jacks including Ollie's!

Keep Ollie fully hitched to your TV when changing tires.  Put the transmission in park and FIRMLY set the parking brake of the TV.

Chock the opposite trailer tires.

Lock the trailer entry and instruct travel partners to not enter the trailer or come near the tire change process.

I do NOT recommend deploying the front jack when changing Ollie or TV tires while connected to the tow vehicle.  Deploying the front Oliver jack would likely apply additional stress to the trailer frame, and add little additional safety to the process.

Break and final re-torque lug nuts (A Two Step Process) with tires are on the ground and at least partially loaded.

Use dunage under the jack, especially in softer ground surfaces.

Finally, keep all parts of your body out of harms way at all times.

Whether you use your OBLD, or a bottle jack to change a tire is a decision every owner needs to think about.  From a risk management perspective, I put more faith in the OTT OBLD's than I do a bottle jack under a frame or axle.  Regardless of which "Jack" you chose to use, the process has hazards that must be managed.  Think it through and work smart.   Most importantly, if the situation is beyond your experience, play it smart and get help.

Geronimo JOHN, not to be confused with an outhouse.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg