Has anyone used Separret Villa 9215 Composting Toilet?

PeteRissler

This seems to be a fairly new to the USA composting(?) toilet but common to Europe. Looks like it was released in the USA fall 2018. I'm hesitant to say it's composting since all it does is dry out the solids but are RV composting toilets truly composting or just hiding the smell. There's no composting material, no stirring mechanism. But it looks easy to clean and it looks like it would be easy to plumb into the black tank. The few reviews that I've seen are favorable.  I'm still researching options for a new trailer.

https://separett-usa.myshopify.com/products/villa-9210-dc

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Interesting.  I haven't heard of that unit, but I can see a few advantages over the Nature's Head.  It looks like it's heavily dependent on ventilation, though, and a 3" vent pipe might be difficult to get to the roof and cap.  I don't think you'd want to vent it out the side due to odor, and in fact you might get a wife or two from a top mounted vent as well.

It certainly looks nicer than the Nature's Head, and also looks like you can go longer before emptying.

• Like 1

Yeah, that 3" pipe is pretty big but the fan pushes a lot more air than the Nature Head does. I found this answer from them for not using some kind of composting agent e.g. coconut coir, peat moss, saw dust etc. which sounds reasonable.

"The Separett system holds the solid waste, separated from the liquid waste, within a compostable liner bag in the holding area. The fan is drawing air over the material serving to vent any odor and aid in drying the material. No other material is added as that would impede drying. No composting toilet on the market brings the material to a safe state within the toilet, as it take a min of 6 months for human pathogens to become benign aerobically. Therefore our feeling is why add additional material in the toilet and make it a mess to empty - when the material needs additional composting upon removal. So - upon removal from the Villa in the compostable bag, the waste goes to a compost area, approved disposal area (as in an RV park) or in an incinerator for disposal. With composting, the bag goes into the compost area in the tied off bag, the bag will compost down exposing the contents for composting with other kitchen and yard materials. Our system allows options and less volume for the method of disposal over other systems. More info on our company site at SeparettStore dot com. see less

By Separett-USA SELLER  on January 7, 2019"

• Like 1

"Therefore our feeling is why add additional material in the toilet and make it a mess to empty..."

Well, I think the answer to that question is that big fan.

If I were considering this for my house, with the vent 15'-20' in the air, I think I'd put this high on the list.  But on a trailer, I suspect that the exhaust is just too close to the ground.  I could be wrong though - it would be interesting to hear from someone who's put it in an RV or trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I did some reading and youtube viewing on the separret today. I doubt that's it's a great alternative to the nature's head in the Oliver (the big vent, particularly), but I  think it could work well in a tiny house on our camping property.

Has anyone here used one in a cabin or tiny home? Or, in an rv?

https://sustainable-solutions.info/separett/

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I would have to agree a great alternative for a cabin tiny home or even a garage,  The 3” pipe would not look very attractive in the small Oliver bathroom. And the redirection of the urine to the grey tank? Sometimes you can get some serious odor from a grey tank vent, add urine to that no thanks.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

2 minutes ago, Landrover said:

I would have to agree a great alternative for a cabin tiny home or even a garage,  The 3” pipe would not look very attractive in the small Oliver bathroom. And the redirection of the urine to the grey tank? Sometimes you can get some serious odor from a grey tank vent, add urine to that no thanks.

If its a short one day trip and its the only place to go a small garbage bag lined in the standard toilet works fine. Nasty but works.

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators

So, I came across this the other day-- Separett's new Tiny composting toilet. As toilets go, it's rather pretty and sleek. And small. But a big capacity. And, like all the other composting toilet, a pretty big price tag. 

Comes in two versions, with a urine hose, or with a urine tank. Vent adaptor from Swedish 50 mm to us 1.5 inch vent pipe.

Seat height is about 3" lower than nature's head.

I wonder if the odor from the fan would really be any worse than the odor from the nature's head fan, or the vent stack from the Oliver black tank?

I'm sure I'll see it pop up on one of the youtuber sites soon.

Screenshot_20210522-202217_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210522-201657_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Although I am not a composting toilet owner at this time it is something I have thought about.  The big reason is probably that the Minister of Finance is not in favor of any expenditures for "the dog house".  And of course her involvement in dumping consist of operating the black tank flush valve and adding Calgon and Dawn to the tank when dump and flush are complete.  And since she is short in stature, the composting toilets all seem a little tall for her.

I guess my biggest concern is probably waste disposal and that seems to be a dirty little secret that doesn’t get discussed much.

SeaDawg's link for the Separett Tiny was very interesting and would certainly be a candidate for me.  The Tiny's manual suggest placing the #2 bags someplace for 12 months and then adding them to my normal household compost bins.  I always thought I would handle it like a dirty diaper and maybe place it in the trash, but I really not sure of the proper procedure.  Anyone who would like to share their disposal process, please chime in.  
I am still partial to the Sun-Mar GTG which is very similar the the Tiny in appearance and footprint, but does seem to be engineered with less potential part failures in my opinion.  Both seem to have an easier maintenance program than the Nature’s Head toilet, but I have never dumped any of these models, so I am not speaking from experience.

What do actual NH owners think of their experience compared to the possible use and maintenance of either the Separett Tiny or the Sun-Mar GTG?

And since I have only thought about the vent plumbing of the GTG and I am not fond of the NH vent appearance, does anyone have knowledge of the standard toilets vent plumbing and would there be clearance above the black tank for a vent running from a composting toilet to the vanity area?

Mossey

• Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

SeaDawg

So, I came across this the other day-- Separett's new Tiny composting toilet. As toilets go, it's rather pretty and sleek. And small. But a big capacity. And, like all the other composting toilet, a pretty big price tag. 

Comes in two versions, with a urine hose, or with a urine tank. Vent adaptor from Swedish 50 mm to us 1.5 inch vent pipe.

Seat height is about 3" lower than nature's head.

I wonder if the odor from the fan would really be any worse than the odor from the nature's head fan, or the vent stack from the Oliver black tank?

I'm sure I'll see it pop up on one of the youtuber sites soon.

I saw this on the Air Forums and thought of you and your post about the Separett Tiny.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/part-l-tmi-review-of-the-separett-tiny-1270-01-a-224421.html

Mossey

• Like 5

• Moderators

Thanks, Mossemi! I'll take a look.

Is this it?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f444/composting-toilet-215449.html

Scroll to the bottom.

Edit to add: Definitely not a "happy camper."

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

I fat fingered that post and you responded before I edited it.  It now has the correct link in it and it is a different link than yours and I believe it was posted the next day.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I truly think most of the "composting" toilets should be labeled "waterless" toilets.  At least the nature's head starts the process with the coir. 

Most of these seem to be designed in Europe, for use in dry cabins, or areas where septic installation is impossible or difficult. Where people actually do complete the composting process...

I'll keep watching for more reviews. Thanks for this one!

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• The title was changed to Has anyone used Separret Villa 9215 Composting Toilet?
  • 11 months later...
  • Moderators

So, update.

We invested in the "waterless" Separret villa for our barn. I personally think it's a waste. (No pun intended. Lol.) I'd be better off with one of my luggage loos, at a much cheaper price. (Free, actually,  I  already own two.)

Thank goodness,  we installed a urinal for the guys. And almost no one uses the separret for solids. The dam for urine isn't high enough,,nor far enough back,  for most women. The urine collection basin is too shallow, and too small, imo. It's too much of a learning curve for those unfamiliar with "odd" toilets. I don't think any guy over 10 years old would want to sit over that small space allowed for urine disposal, seriously. Too small, too shallow. Without getting too graphic, I think you understand. 

Install was simple. It looks very nice, it's highly cleanable, made almost totally of space age smooth and shiny  plastic. The villa 9215 came with all adaptors to work with us plumbing. As toilets go, its rather pretty.  That's the good news.

But, urine is easily transported to the solid collection bucket, if users are not exactly situated and sitting totally upright. (Especially females.)

Good news. It doesn't smell. Not much even near the vent pipe, outside. Unless someone doesn't sit perfectly correctly,  and urine lands in the solids bucket. 

And, it's not "waterless." Instructions are to pour  water after use, down the urine tube. Not a problem in our barn, with unlimited  spring water, but definitely not an option for water saving in a trailer. 

We all make mistakes. This one, for me, was $900+. I read hundreds of reviews, prior to purchasing. 

I'm just  ok with it, after an adjustment time, but I had a really bad experience with visitors last week. Oh, so gross cleanup. Even after an extensive  training session.  I told my husband I wish we'd just put a portapotty or luggage loo in that corner.

Live, and learn.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

Thank you for the very honest and descriptive review.  And it takes a very big person to admit a $900 mistake, kudos to you!  I have a feeling about how frugal you and Paul are from previous posts on this forum and I know y’all put a lot of thought into your decision which must make it a bitter pill to swallow.  I have a feeling that you will make it work in time even if you don’t share with visitors again.

I still haven’t heard anyone talk about their mobile installation disposal methods which should be a different issue from a barn installation.

Mossey

• Like 2

• Moderators

Thank you..

It is what it is.

I'm used to the awkward posture to "get it right." For me. 

I've read dozens of rv installation posts, on other forums and blogs, and I  just don't want Oliver owners to make the big mistake.  If the blog links to a purchase point, probably discount the opinion.

Its doable for us, with the urinal.  And my self training. 

Definitely NOT something I'd consider for the Ollie. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 9:21 PM, SeaDawg said:

So, update.

We invested in the "waterless" Separret villa for our barn. I personally think it's a waste. (No pun intended. Lol.) I'd be better off with one of my luggage loos, at a much cheaper price. (Free, actually,  I  already own two.)

Thank goodness,  we installed a urinal for the guys. And almost no one uses the separret for solids. The dam for urine isn't high enough,,nor far enough back,  for most women. The urine collection basin is too shallow, and too small, imo. It's too much of a learning curve for those unfamiliar with "odd" toilets. I don't think any guy over 10 years old would want to sit over that small space allowed for urine disposal, seriously. Too small, too shallow. Without getting too graphic, I think you understand. 

Install was simple. It looks very nice, it's highly cleanable, made almost totally of space age smooth and shiny  plastic. The villa 9215 came with all adaptors to work with us plumbing. As toilets go, its rather pretty.  That's the good news.

But, urine is easily transported to the solid collection bucket, if users are not exactly situated and sitting totally upright. (Especially females.)

Good news. It doesn't smell. Not much even near the vent pipe, outside. Unless someone doesn't sit perfectly correctly,  and urine lands in the solids bucket. 

And, it's not "waterless." Instructions are to pour  water after use, down the urine tube. Not a problem in our barn, with unlimited  spring water, but definitely not an option for water saving in a trailer. 

We all make mistakes. This one, for me, was $900+. I read hundreds of reviews, prior to purchasing. 

I'm just  ok with it, after an adjustment time, but I had a really bad experience with visitors last week. Oh, so gross cleanup. Even after an extensive  training session.  I told my husband I wish we'd just put a portapotty or luggage loo in that corner.

Live, and learn.

We are also looking to switch to a "composting" toilet, haven't really decided between the NH, Airhead and Separett (Villa and Tiny), but leaning towards the Airhead. Must say I'm surprised with your experience with the Villa, in particular your bad experience with the the urine collecting basin. Now I have never in person seen/touched any one of these so called "composting" toilets, but from what I've seen (I could be wrong!) the Separett Villa and Tiny actually have larger/deeper urine collecting basins vs the NH and airhead, did you maybe forget to insert that separate piece between the liquid and solid section, it creates a ridge between the two? Also, I know with the first batch/release of Separett toilets the paddles weren't functioning correctly, so there was a modification created to improve the functioning of the paddles/flaps based on feedback from customers. 

Anyway, we are still on the fence re which one we will go with, but for all the ladies out there, here's a pretty good review of the Separett Villa from a female user.     

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Rich.Dev said:

Separett Villa and Tiny actually have larger/deeper urine collecting basins vs the NH and airhead, did you maybe forget to insert that separate piece between the liquid and solid section, it creates a ridge between the two

Nope. The barrier is part of the toilet, and too low, imo. No leftover pieces, anywhere. We're pretty good at reading and following instructions. 🙂

I've "mastered " the villa. It's a long learning curve. I would still not recommend it, for an Ollie. And certainly not for a bathroom with many guest users.

It's too big, for one thing. I've not seen the Tiny in person, which would probably fit, but I've read a number of negative reviews.

it's a very expensive portapotty, imo.

If I were you, I'd be looking carefully at the nature's head, as so many people here really like it.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Here's a video review of the Separate Tiny by a couple that live in their truck. They don't seem to be fans.

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators

@Rich.Dev, I'll look forward to your reports if you install it. Amazon reports are quite mixed.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

42 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

@Rich.Dev, I'll look forward to your reports if you install it. Amazon reports are quite mixed.

Oh I haven't decided yet, I know It's a matter of personal preference, but here’s why I’m leaning towards the Airhead..

• Diversion system allows emptying of liquids without opening the solids tank 
  • More comfortable toilet seat
  • Stronger fan
  • In-line screen on ventilation hose
  • Can specify fan housing angle
  • More gaskets around lid to prevent smell
  • Handles/lid on solids tank (no lid I think on the NH?)
  • Airhead crank handle vs NH drill press style handle
  • Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

• Moderators

I will say this about Separret.  The plastic they use is smooth, white, and easily cleaned. I had originally lobbied for the new "tiny", which is probably as close to looking like a modern , attractive toilet as any compost toilet out there. In the barn, we had room for the 9215, with its extra capacity,  so that's what we bought. It's still a decent looking more "residential " style design. I still think it's ridiculously overpriced,  and I wouldn't buy it again. (Overpriced portapotty, imo.)

Another issue, you would still have to raise the seat to empty the pee bottle, if you didn't send pee to the black tank. Even with  the bigger 9215, this is light and easy to do, but it does expose the ick of the black deposit bucket... 

I'm not particularly squeamish, raised on a farm, so no big deal, but might be for others.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

From their online manual: "If used in a wet bath environment, the Villa should be protected from directly getting wet as it contains an electric fan and high humidity will inhibit the drying of solid waste."

Charlie.

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4