Chairs; Which ones and how many?

hobo

Looking for specific suggestions for some good quality camp chairs.  We have a pickup as the tow vehicle so space is not a huge consideration but we don't want crazy big either  Secondly:  How many chairs should we have with us?  There are two of us but who knows when someone might swing by to say "hello"?  I would think 4 chairs would be ideal but with the limited space available for the storage for all things camping, do you carry extra chairs (just in case)?  Just wondering what the "norm" is here.  Thanks

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

I carry two even though I travel alone 80% of the time.  I wouldn't worry about "people stopping over" in that there is usually somewhere to sit or they can bring over a chair of their own.  Most camping people understand that we all have limited space and therefore do not expect seating to be supplied.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Timely question, since I'm trying to convince my wife now that we need to rethink our chair game.

At the moment, we have three sets of chairs that we've collected over time.  The first, which we got years ago, is the armless scissors style or quad chair like this one from Alps Mountaineering:

Adventure-Chair-2016.thumb.jpg.6edf4f4899b40f46f4a9fc86acc70a18.jpg

Ours are from LL Bean, I think, from back in the early 90's.  They've held up well and gotten a lot of use, but they're heavy and only good for lounging around; i.e., you wouldn't want to try to eat at a table with them.  They have a relatively low seat height and you slouch back in them when you sit.  They'd probably be difficult to get out of for someone who's elderly.  They pack up into a tube shaped bag, and in that respect are fairly easy to pack.  We don't really use them anymore.

In our later car camping days, we wanted something that wasn't so loungy, and so we got these directors chairs:

Directors-Chair-2017.thumb.jpg.2b7524df84a7c2f07e6694fcdc60cdd4.jpg

I like these a lot.  They're super sturdy with a normal seat height and straight back that makes them great for use with a table.  They're also heavy, and don't pack compactly at all.   They're also steel, and water will get into the tubes - so if you leave them out in the rain, you'll get rusty water dripping out the legs.

When we got our Ollie, we figured we'd have enough space to upgrade to some zero gravity chairs:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_09.00-AM.thumb.png.ed3549073bb29ddb1acc3763f8885dfe.png

These are sort of in between as far as seat height and position.  They're probably too clumsy and heavy to use well with a table, but they make fantastic loungers and are stiff enough that an elderly person can probably get in and out of them without difficulty.  They're great for soaking up the sun or stargazing.  They're also steel tube.  Also heavy - and not compact in the least.

My wife loves the Zero-G chairs, and so do I; but I don't like at all how clumsy and difficult to pack they are.  The directors chairs are a bit more packable, but we've found that we don't eat outside a lot with the Ollie (at least not at a table), so they don't really make a lot of sense to take anymore.  At the moment, I'm into making everything more compact, lighter and efficient, so in my mind, the Zero-G chairs have got to go, but I've yet to convince my wife.

What I'd like to switch to are Helinox Chairs, which are super light and super compact.  And they're also pretty sturdy, despite their appearance.  They're a little on the loungy side, but their Sunset and XL models have a normal seat height and I think that in a pinch, they'd work fine with a table.  To me, their high backed Sunset chair would be a good compromise between our Zero-G's and Director chairs.  I just need to convince my wife.  They're not cheap, either.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_19.50-AM.thumb.png.eaa4e6704675074fc5d1d48d31a2766c.png

In the same vein, Big Agnes has just released their own line of camp chairs, which have a somewhat different design but are just as light and compact (and just as expensive):

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_22.02-AM.thumb.png.e33d925eb4f78615b34fdbc8a94d10bd.png

I'd like to see one in person though before spending that much money on one.

In truth, I'd be fine with a good sized rock, but man are those hard to pack.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10500100-Brown-Sport-Camping/dp/B0036UI1OI

These are comfy, strong and not too large. Two will fit nicely in the front of the closet if you wanted them there, along with a ladder.

Plus they have the cool overland ARB logo that will make folks think you really know what you are doing. Be sure you get chairs with sloped backs. The crap ones for $20 often have vertical backs and those are 100% horrible to sit on.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

But $$$

Overland - Yep, nice.  Certain I couldn't stand the SO's rebuke. :-)

I did Amazon a nice zero gravity lounger.

Will post a review when its gone thru its paces.

Thanks Hobo, you read my mind,

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

We have had several of the cheap chairs that fold up and fit into a bag. We got them years ago at a big box store for probably $10-$15. Their main virtue is that they are inexpensive. I have never found them very comfortable. My major complaint that the arm rests give way when you push on them, making them difficult to stand up from.

So I have been thinking about chairs for a while. On some forum several people recommended the ALPS Mountaineering Lakeside Chair and the ALPS Mountaineering Camp Chair, and I put these into my notes as option. Then, last year at the Oliver Rally someone had a rocking chair that folds up and fits into a bag. They kindly let me try it, and oh my, I was sold. I wrote down the details: It was a GCI Outdoors Freestyle Rocker. When we got home I went to Kirkhams, a wonderful local camping shop, and to REI, so I could see what they have. REI had a different model, the GCI Outdoor RoadTrip Rocker, which I really liked. Amazon had the GCI Outdoor RoadTrip Rocker for $60, but with an REI discount coupon I got it there for $40. I really love it! Very comfortable, and I wondered why I waited so long to get a better chair. The only disadvantage, compared to the cheap bag chairs, is that it is approx 20% longer when folded into the storage bag, and it is heavier.

As to Hobo's other question, we usually carry three or four chairs. And my wife is happy with the cheap bag chairs.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

When we picked up we didn’t bring chairs so we bought a couple of cheap ones at the Hohenwald Walmart. Comfortable if you didn’t sit in them for more than 30 minutes. Very lightweight and small when folded. We still have them and throw them in the back of the truck when we travel. We also have a couple of zero gravity chairs that we don’t use much, while they are comfortable they are big, bulky and heavy. We also picked up a couple of director style chairs with an attached side table at Costco that we don’t use much anymore either, they are lighter weight, comfortable for short periods of time but take up more space in the truck than I like. For the past year we’ve been using these chairs from Core. They were about $50 on Amazon. When folded they take up very little space, are light weight and comfortable.

DEC796B3-F065-4E28-8F2D-E76613B4201D.jpeg.a91d1058b6f892ddcdf1d6bed33ca474.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My wife loves the Zero-G chairs, and so do I; but I don’t like at all how clumsy and difficult to pack they are.

We seem to have the exact same chairs and agree: They are extremely comfy but heavy, clumsy, and difficult to pack. They are, however, worth the trouble if one is planning on staying at any location for some time. (The problem I think I would have with any chair that is not a "lounger-type" is that, after a certain amount of time sitting upon them, they would start to be uncomfortable because they don't support the forelegs and inevitably put some amount of pressure on your upper legs when sitting.)

We also carry two of these. They are not all that comfortable, but we are amazed at how many uses we find for them around the campsite and at home. We are guitarists, so we can carry these and our instruments wherever we want and then be able to sit and play.

However, I find them indispensable for working around the Oliver--for hooking up the cables, checking the lug nuts and tires, for getting into the basement and hooking up the city or fresh water. It sure beats having to stoop or get on ones knees. (The GCI Outdoor Quick-E-Seat Folding Tripod Field Chair with Backrest is low to the ground.)

They are easy to sling over one's shoulder and walk a good distance, which would make them ideal, it seems, for fishing, birdwatching, photography, or just hiking and needing a seat to rest upon. I highly recommend these lightweight chairs as a supplement to any others one would take on their Oliver adventures.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

We've accumulated a small collection of chairs over the years. My favorites have been purchased at Aldi. Only available once or twice a year, in their special purchases section, they're director style chairs with an attached folding side table. Under $30 each, but way better quality than similar chairs in the big box store. One pair is 8 or 9 years old, now. I like the legs, as they're less prone to dig into wer soil than the umbrella chairs.

This year's Aldi model folds in half, so takes much less space in the truck bed.

Screenshot_20190206-061115_Google.thumb.jpg.faf7f25f8ec5231e82230d198cc300a2.jpg

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Those loungers are great for napping,  but too big for me for comfortable seating.

Camping world has a bunch of loungers on sale right now. The tan fern loungers we have had for 8 years are about half price. If you are near a camping world, you can try them out for comfort and size...

Sherry

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Update -

I ended up buying a pair of the Helinox Sunsets that I mentioned above.  I can see why they've become so popular - they really do seem to hit the perfect balance of portability, sturdiness, comfort, size, etc.  They assemble and pack back up with very little effort, and packed up they're an easy to store 18" x 5".  Best part is that, unprompted by me, when my wife sat in one, she said "These can replace the Zero-G chairs!".

I got their little hardtop table to go with them.  Just the right size and hight, and sturdy enough to put your feet up on it if you want.

I also got my wife one of these blankets to go with the chairs - that really sealed the deal.

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

nemo.jpg.800d8c4d7f74239c521b679d18b3c67a.jpg

Nemo Stargaze Recliner Luxury Camping Chair

So After trying this one out at REI, I was impressed enough to purchase one on sale - still expensive at $180.  It arrived yesterday and I really like it- comfortable, light, and packs into a nice smaller package.

Although we also like the zero gravity lounger it is not as easy to load and pack in the rear of the truck.

zero.jpg.1b3d93b625a502ce73e19740fa3b2f83.jpg

Ok, I have spent all the $$  I'm going to on chairs.

RB

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Care 1

• Moderators

Although we also like the zero gravity lounger it is not as easy to load and pack in the rear of the truck.

zero

Ok, I have spent all the $$ I’m going to on chairs.

RB

Agree about the zero gravity.  We like ours a lot, they are comfortable and versatile (sit or recline).  They just take a lot of room and are a bit heavy.  I keep going back and forth on whether to load them or not.  If we’re going to be in one place for a while then it’s probably worth the effort, if not I go for the lightweight, compact chairs.  I’m not spending any more $$ on chairs either!  Mike

• Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I missed the ad, but Aldi had their camping specials a week ago. The folding directors chair is again $29. It's a one werk special, but there were still a dozen of them in my store when I stopped in Friday.

I love the compact size, the price, and attached table. I find it to be fairly comfortable, and really suitable as an " extra" chair for visitors.

Screenshot_20190206-061115_Google.thumb.jpg.806028cc741ff819f7cf38fa28596ca7.jpg

Sherry

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 11 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 3:30 AM, John E Davies said:

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-10500100-Brown-Sport-Camping/dp/B0036UI1OI

These are comfy, strong and not too large. Two will fit nicely in the front of the closet if you wanted them there, along with a ladder.

Plus they have the cool overland ARB logo that will make folks think you really know what you are doing. Be sure you get chairs with sloped backs. The crap ones for $20 often have vertical backs and those are 100% horrible to sit on.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We have the ARB Touring chairs and besides having a lot of great reviews they are quite comfortable and appear well made. Ours came with a nice storage bags. As JD mentioned they and stow nicely for travel. The wide arm rests are notably comfortable. Removable beverage holder/small snack shelf and armchair pockets. I would buy again based on comfort, fit and finish.

-Patriot

C70AFB20-EADD-489E-948F-82E442665969.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

This is a great way to watch the Thunderbirds airshow... my Other Half in a Cabelas branded Zero Gravity lounger. I agree they are too bulky to always bring along, but I usually miss them if I don’t throw them in the truck....

F806BD09-EB87-41BC-9816-CB86EBD5BF7F.thumb.jpeg.ea8afde4e2dafc5c217886b3d27551c9.jpeg

Sometimes I will open one up in the garage and just sit next to “Mouse”, pretending I am off in the real world instead of quarantined.... how very sad and pathetic is that!?

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 4
  • Care 1
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Overland said:

I just saw that Helinox has introduced these comfy looking cold weather covers for their chairs, some with integrated blankets.  https://helinox.com/collections/cozy-comfort 

Pretty neat.

1346224234_ScreenShot2021-03-17at5_12_17PM.thumb.png.15ca6e56dc70ab8ec5458dd96c631d5e.png1126883393_ScreenShot2021-03-17at5_11_57PM.thumb.png.59e6ca7821ab100d0d674b00a0253885.png

I like the quilted cover . . . .  not so much the wrap.  If it's cold enough for that, I'll be inside wrapped in my down comforter.

Note that these would not be suitable around a campfire.

We added this accessory to our Helinox chairs.  Makes them a lot more stable on uneven ground.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 2/5/2019 at 12:23 AM, Overland said:

Timely question, since I'm trying to convince my wife now that we need to rethink our chair game.

At the moment, we have three sets of chairs that we've collected over time.  The first, which we got years ago, is the armless scissors style or quad chair like this one from Alps Mountaineering:

Adventure-Chair-2016.thumb.jpg.6edf4f4899b40f46f4a9fc86acc70a18.jpg

Ours are from LL Bean, I think, from back in the early 90's.  They've held up well and gotten a lot of use, but they're heavy and only good for lounging around; i.e., you wouldn't want to try to eat at a table with them.  They have a relatively low seat height and you slouch back in them when you sit.  They'd probably be difficult to get out of for someone who's elderly.  They pack up into a tube shaped bag, and in that respect are fairly easy to pack.  We don't really use them anymore.

In our later car camping days, we wanted something that wasn't so loungy, and so we got these directors chairs:

Directors-Chair-2017.thumb.jpg.2b7524df84a7c2f07e6694fcdc60cdd4.jpg

I like these a lot.  They're super sturdy with a normal seat height and straight back that makes them great for use with a table.  They're also heavy, and don't pack compactly at all.   They're also steel, and water will get into the tubes - so if you leave them out in the rain, you'll get rusty water dripping out the legs.

When we got our Ollie, we figured we'd have enough space to upgrade to some zero gravity chairs:

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_09.00-AM.thumb.png.ed3549073bb29ddb1acc3763f8885dfe.png

These are sort of in between as far as seat height and position.  They're probably too clumsy and heavy to use well with a table, but they make fantastic loungers and are stiff enough that an elderly person can probably get in and out of them without difficulty.  They're great for soaking up the sun or stargazing.  They're also steel tube.  Also heavy - and not compact in the least.

My wife loves the Zero-G chairs, and so do I; but I don't like at all how clumsy and difficult to pack they are.  The directors chairs are a bit more packable, but we've found that we don't eat outside a lot with the Ollie (at least not at a table), so they don't really make a lot of sense to take anymore.  At the moment, I'm into making everything more compact, lighter and efficient, so in my mind, the Zero-G chairs have got to go, but I've yet to convince my wife.

What I'd like to switch to are Helinox Chairs, which are super light and super compact.  And they're also pretty sturdy, despite their appearance.  They're a little on the loungy side, but their Sunset and XL models have a normal seat height and I think that in a pinch, they'd work fine with a table.  To me, their high backed Sunset chair would be a good compromise between our Zero-G's and Director chairs.  I just need to convince my wife.  They're not cheap, either.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_19.50-AM.thumb.png.eaa4e6704675074fc5d1d48d31a2766c.png

In the same vein, Big Agnes has just released their own line of camp chairs, which have a somewhat different design but are just as light and compact (and just as expensive):

Screen-Shot-2019-02-05-at-8_22.02-AM.thumb.png.e33d925eb4f78615b34fdbc8a94d10bd.png

I'd like to see one in person though before spending that much money on one.

In truth, I'd be fine with a good sized rock, but man are those hard to pack.

We have the Helinox Sunset chairs and find them nicely portable and easy to set up and put away.  One suggestion is that you get the optional ball feet.  These make the chairs more stable on uneven ground and dirt campsites - a must if you boondock a lot.

We have these and they work great.  No need to remove them to put the chairs back in the bag.

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg