Elite II Twin -Dimensions and location of Access Hatches?

Galway Girl

I've recently put ourselves in line for an Ollie Elite II Twin later this summer.

I'm investigating having custom mattresses built that have a hinge, like those on boats.

That way I don't have to lift the whole mattress off to get to the access hatches.

To do this I need the measurements for sizes location of the access hatches under the twin bed seats.

I've seen files on measurements in Ollie University for various doors, drawers etc.

I've also spotted a photo of the Outlaw Ollie modifications showing the shell without any covers on the access ports.

Anyone already have those location / dimensions?

I need these so I can't tell where to put a "hinge" on a custom twin mattress. *Hinge like those on boat beds.*

Oliver-LegacyFloorplan.thumb.jpg.bc6742534ca64b177af8489e2f9b3cf8.jpg

I would guess half way would be OK..but it would be nice if anyone has the actual dimensional drawing (top down view) of where those hatches lie.

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

@ctshort09's idea of a hinged mattress is an interesting one. Having spent little time on boats, I had not heard of a hinged mattress. If you go through with this project, please post information on the supplier and pictures of the finished product.

Based on Mike's photos, I do have a suggestion about where to place the hinge. Instead of at the the halfway mark (37.5 inches), I suggest put the hinge at 46 inches, just behind the forward hatch. My rationale is that having a smaller hinged piece would be less unwieldy than half of the mattress. Also, I essentially never access the two rear access hatches. The curbside rear hatch, which is screwed down, gives service access to the water heater and furnace, and I only went in here when repairing the water heater. The streetside rear hatch provides access to the basement; when I saw Wincrasher's video before purchase, I thought I would be using this access hatch all the time. Wrong. Never used it.

In contrast, the forward hatches get used regularly. The curbside forward hatch provides access to the plumbing valves, which I access every time when boondocking that I use the water pump to add fresh water to the tank. You will need to regularly access this compartment to get at these valves, unless you replace the valves with electric ones; this is on a future ToDo list. You also need to access this compartment to open the fresh water tank drain.  I access the streetside forward hatch only to access the Surge Protector display. Also on my ToDo list is to move this Surge Protector Display. I think newer Ollies have other electrical components in this compartment.

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Thanks for the tip...I can see exactly where the hinge could be placed.  Your notes about which hatches are most accessed is very helpful.

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

Thanks for the pix.  The first one showing the full run of the bed makes it very clear.

The other one I'm not sure what it's showing...but I think if the hatches on both sides are at the same point, then putting the hinge around 45" from the back of the trailer makes sense.

CS

• Moderators

You might want to check out Coy’s post about after market beds from Southern Mattress.  We also purchased two twin mattress from Southern Mattress for our twin bed conversion based upon his experience.  They shipped them to Hohenwald for us at a reasonable rate.  We are very happy with our SM mattresses.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/custom-made-mattresses/#post-41614

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”