Honda 2200i generator(s) Which one first?

hobo

Have pretty much decided on the Honda EU2200i generator for our Ollie but was at an outdoor show yesterday and was talking to the vendor and he said I should purchase the EU2200i first and then purchase the EU2200i Companion later if I needed the additional power.

I questioned why I wouldn't purchase the "companion" model first as it already has the 30 AMP female built into to it.  He tried to tell me why using the 30 AMP plug would only give me half of the rated power and that I could use an adaptor on the standard model to use a 30 AMP cord.  I said "OK" but when I do that, doesn't the "standard"model also only the deliver half the rated power??  He admitted "yes".  Then I said, "then why wouldn't I purchase the model that has the female receptacle built-in vice purchasing the one that I would have to use an adaptor?"  He was perplexed since I had taken him out of his comfort zone since I was taking him off of his rehearsed script.

Now having said that, I did note that the standard model does have a 12V DC charging port which the Companion model does not.  In my mind, that would be the only compelling reason to purchase that one first.

I'm new to all of this;  can someone tell me which way to go and why?

BTW:  The "Show" price for the standard was $899.  The Companion price was $999.  This is the lowest I've ever seen for these units.  Does anyone else know of a source for these at this price?  I would have to drive 2 hours each way to  go back and purchase.

Thanks, Hobo

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

The 30 Amp plug on the companion model will still require a adaptor to plug your trailer 30 Amp plug into. The standard model has some features like 12 charging the companion does not have. Normally the companion is bought 2nd if you feel you need more power. We have the 2200 and have converted it with the Hutch Mountion propane conversion that allows you to run on either gas or propane. Great generator. 20190101_090759.thumb.jpg.c38e62157ad43a294b09bb7b7fade0da.jpg

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Tom is correct. Both require an adapter, so the real question is whether you want to spend $100 more just to use (and carry) a different adapter.

I also think someone posted about a problem bonding the ground and neutral on the companion model.

The ground bonding issue is with both models.  I purchased the companion model first and do not require a second generator.  The companion model has the heavy 30 amp three wire twist lock connector.  To correct the bonding issue just purchase a 120 VAC standard three prong mile plug, then connect the neutral and ground post together; this will correct the generator grounding issue with the trailer.

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I have never used the 12V DC 8A unregulated output from a generator to do anything, it is there I guess if you want to put some juice into a stand alone battery like a trolling motor battery..... or try to charge a dead battery on your truck, which would take many hours. But a jump box makes 1000% more sense for starting, and a cheap constant voltage automotive charger works better for a battery, so I would not place ANY weight on that feature. Your Ollie’s built in charging system will put out 40 amps DC from a generators 120 VAC input.. if you have solar you rarely will ever need to do this

I also would rather buy a single larger unit than two medium ones, for the smaller footprint, easier refueling and half the maintenance. I never accepted any of the conventional reasoning for using two..... like a gun for bear defense, bring a big one...

The Hondas are among the best, no doubt about that. But have you ever considered the Yamaha 2400? It’s a beaut and the perfect capabilities for an Oliver or emergency home use. ... https://blog.mygenerator.com.au/best-caravan-generator-yamaha-ef2400is-vs-honda-eu20i/

If the extra weight is a factor, carry it in the bed of the truck and run it there. You rarely have to lift it. A generator carried in the Oliver tray will have to be moved every time to use it. For storage at home my Yamaha goes straight from the truck bed to a small wheeled work table from Harbor Freight and I can easily roll it anywhere, and it stays on the table when not needed. ... https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-x-30-in-industrial-polypropylene-service-cart-61930.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

You will need an adapter no matter which generator (2000i regular or companion).  Here is why (with reference to the attached figure).  The Oliver is equipped with a TT-30 P, which is a plug (not a receptacle) on the side of the rig (and the aux if you have that option).

The 2000i regular comes with NEMA 5-15 receptacles (like a standard 15A home receptacle).  Thus, you would need a TT-30R (receptacle connector) to NEMA 5-15 (plug connector) adapter cable.

The 2000i companion comes with a NEMA L5-30 receptacle (which delivers only 15A unless you tandem another 15A generator/inverter).  Thus, you would need a TT-30R (receptacle connector) to NEMA L5-30 (plug connector) adapter cable.

800px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg_.thumb.png.7fa2b9a7640999a168e20c3e4df5a1c0.png

Looking forward to years of exploring in our 2019 LE II, pulling with an F150, V8, 3.73 rear, 4x4 Off Road, tow package . . . All I need to do is retire first!  Matthew   <><

The Yamaha 2400 comes with two 20A 110V outlets, you can use a 25' super heavy duty 15A style extension cord (10AWG wires) on one outlet with no worries and you can pull a constant 18 or 19 amps with this setup, with no signs of overheating whatsoever. If anyone offered a 20A rated extension cord, that would be better but I have never actually seen one....

The trailer to cord adapters are another story, the cheap ones can and do fail. I replaced my old generic 15 to 30 A adapter with this high quality Marinco one and it will hopefully be trouble free. It has a five year warranty, and that includes salt-water boat applications. It is visibly better put together with more features and it weighs more (heavier wires and connector pins). It has a thumb depression - position it at 1200 and the plug aligns with the socket perfectly - twist to lock, spin down the ring to secure it. The red LED is super bright to tell you the circuit is hot.

61j9FYVYnHL._SX522_.jpg.fc2ea546800bdc4747211ce329f7db0f.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NHZV54/?coliid=I105OLS3NXU8WE&colid=305M5TXY22I7S&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:  the picture you included shows the 30A receptacle on the adapter being a NEMA L5-30; however, isn't the plug on the LE2 a NEMA TT-30P?

Looking forward to years of exploring in our 2019 LE II, pulling with an F150, V8, 3.73 rear, 4x4 Off Road, tow package . . . All I need to do is retire first!  Matthew   <><

The Hondas are among the best, no doubt about that. But have you ever considered the Yamaha 2400? It’s a beaut and the perfect capabilities for an Oliver or emergency home use. … https://blog.mygenerator.com.au/best-caravan-generator-yamaha-ef2400is-vs-honda-eu20i/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Weight is a big deal at my age. 47 lbs compared to 74 lb is lot easier to handle. You have to hook it up and fuel it so you have to handle it. Smaller foot print, great propane conversion packages available, and it runs anything I need and barely ramps up even when our A/C starts with the easy start installed.

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

John: the picture you included shows the 30A receptacle on the adapter being a NEMA L5-30; however, isn’t the plug on the LE2 a NEMA TT-30P?

That is the correct picture for my adapter and trailer:

62F26E40-F824-4506-86BD-0D220CB94CF9.jpeg.c43b66a8170d1835462321dc4d029e3d.jpeg

I know it is correct because I hooked it up a few days ago. My trailer- hull # 218  - has a Furuno stainless marine 30a shore power connection.  I can’t comment on what they are using now.OTH I don’t think they have changed. The twist to lock marine version is the very best variation you can have.

The OTHER “upstream” end of my factory supplied 30A cable has the standard RV configuration.

“...they can still become fire hazards simply by being inserted into a twist-lock receptacle without the added twist or engaging the locking ring. Those partially inserted plugs have been the source of many shore-power cord failures and several resulting fires.”

https://www.cruisingworld.com/shore-power

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

"I know it is correct because I hooked it up a few days ago. My trailer- hull # 218 – has a Furuno stainless marine 30a shore power connection. I can’t comment on what they are using now.OTH I don’t think they have changed."

John:

I think you're right - that Oliver probably still uses a NEMA L5-30P on the rig.  Since that is a marine configuration, the power cord that Oliver gives you is probably an adapter configuration, going from the NEMA L5-30P on the rig to a NEMA TT-30P for plugging into the shore power at an RV site.  Furrion makes such a cable.  They also make straight TT-to-TT and L5-L5 versions.  Since the NEMA TT-30 plug/receptacle system was specifically designed for travel trailers (i.e., the "TT" in the acronym), I assumed that Oliver would use the NEMA TT-30P on the LE2.   Perhaps they really really like marine equipment!   I asked our rep in the sales department at Oliver to clarify all this, but I think they thought I was nuts.  Admittedly, my thinking is well in the weeds.  Anyway, thanks again for your posts.

• Thanks 1

I have a fairly new Honda 2200i (gasoline) and really like it. What about the conversion kit to run on gasoline or propane? Is the kit easy to install? I ordered the propane quick connects front and rear for my Oliver Elite II (to be delivered April 4) - will the Honda Generator 2200i with kit installed run on these propane quick connects? Seems pretty cool, but, I am not too mechanically-inclined and would need the kit install to be fairly easy (would hate to blow up my new Oliver with a propane leak while running the generator). If anyone has experience installing and using this conversion kit, I am interested. Also, what is easiest kit to purchase. Primarily interested in ease of install and safety of operation, not the most economical way to get this done.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I have never done this but it looks simple enough for somebody with basic skills who can follow instructions. You have to drill some holes, add a kill switch and and hose for the propane. The propane feeds into the engine by way of a thin plate that sandwiches between the carb and the intake port.

Please do not do what the guy in the video does repeatedly - never stick your hand directly under a drill bit while drilling a hole. Use a piece of cardboard to keep out debris, not your skin!!! having drilled into my finger two times in 50 years, all I can say is no injury that size hurts more.

I do strongly recommend that you check all connections using soapy water to make sure there are no leaks before starting the gennie. The guy in the video did not do that.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

I installed a Genconnex Conversion Kit, which runs the generator on propane, but the generator will no longer run on gasoline. My rationale was that my generator use would be very infrequent, and the gasoline would likely go bad. Also, I do not want to carry gasoline container in my tow vehicle. More info here. The Hutch Mountain conversion kit that John Davies’ video uses, allows use of both propane and gasoline, but here the large propane regulator remains outside of the generator, while with the Genconnex the propane regulator is inside the generator.

Be aware that power output from a generator on propane drops by 10% compared to gasoline.

Installing the Genconnex Conversion Kit was pretty easy. No drilling, just opening it up and swapping out parts. This blog post was very helpful to me, and this YouTube video less so. The blog post commented that the photos on the instruction page were quite small, and they suggested downloading the instructions and printing out enlarged photos. That was extremely helpful. It was pretty easy. I spent a couple of hours moving slowly and carefully. I took pictures of my work at every step in case something went wrong, but it all worked fine.

The Genconnex kit is set up to connect with the propane quick connects, and they do have a similar kit for the Honda 2200 model.

Edited by DavidS
Fix YouTube link
  • Thanks 3

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I installed the Hutch Mountion conversion kit.

https://hutchmountain.com/products.html#!/Honda-EU2200i-Propane-Natural-Gas-Gasoline-Tri-Fuel-Conversion-Kit/p/101013131/category=0

It was very easy to install and only took about 30 minutes. It allows you to run on either propane or gasoline. Their service and support are great. I had a problem with one regulator and they walked me through diagnosing the problem and got a new requlator to me in 2 days. They are happy to spend time on the phone with you answering any questions. To run it off the camper quick connects you need to order it with quick connects between the 1st and 2nd stage regulators.

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

I also installed the Hutch Mt kit. Mounted the large regulator on their Extended Distance Bracket and I clamp that to the front storage basket using a large wood clamp. Propane hose plugs into the optional front propane outlet with Honda 2200 in basket. Will run a/c with Micro Air Easy Start at 650 Ft elevation, at less than max rpm. The regulator bracket can also set under the generator if you want to set the generator on the ground or use the generator with a portable bottle away from OTT, or hook up to natural gas at home as a backup generator. If purchasing be sure to get their RV-1/4-to-3/8-Quick-Connect-Adapter. Their hoses use 3/8 inch quick connects and the OTT propane port is 1/4 inch.

• Thanks 3

Scott&Ricki

2017 Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull 225, The Bus 
2007 Tundra 
Prev: 2003 Casita, 2009 Weekend Warrior