I am now the proud owner of a Legacy Elite!

cmdmom286

Just took possession of my Ollie Elite.  So excited.  Thanks to the Morey family for making this dream a reality for mey.  Starting to plan trips for the upcoming fishing season.  It will be so so nice to be comfortable, having been used to minimalist camping in a teardrop.  Have a question.  I am having to store my Ollie in a RV storage area.  Right now it is outside.  I am torn about spending the extra money to store inside or buy a high end cover.  Living in Colorado weather conditions are obviously going to be hard on the camper.  I am open to suggestions.  C

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!

Several of us have fabric covers for our Ollies, so you could think about that.  The CalMark covers are about $700 for the Elite II and are custom fit for the trailers.  I don't know if that qualifies as high-end for you or not, but for me it's the best option at the moment.  They're a bit of a pain to put on and take off, so they're best for people who put up their trailers for a season at a time.  You could also just use a cheap tarp from Home Depot, if you don't care about the looks.  I imagine that would be somewhat more cumbersome to use, and you'd have to make sure that it's secured well and won't blow away in a storm.  I'd think it would also be more likely to scratch the trailer.  Some people keep theirs under cover but not completely enclosed, and of course that's a cheaper option than a fully enclosed garage.  Long term, the primary concern is just keeping it out of the sun, but of course in the short term any sort of cover will help keep it clean and free of gunk from trees and such.

If it's just snow you're worried about, I might think that would make for a nice protective cover in itself.

I'd also say that using a good UV protective wax a few times a year goes a long way toward keeping your trailer like new.  I've seen a few older Oliver-owned units that look rough, but I suspect that's due to never waxing them, as I don't recall seeing any owner's trailers that didn't still look bright and shiny - even the oldest units.

• Moderators

Congratulations!

I'm sure you are looking forward to spring! Just around the corner...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thank you for such a fast response!  When you say you have a cloth cover, are you talking about the CalMark?  I am a short old lady and I am worried about taking it on and off myself.  I hope to be out a lot , a lot more than last year (fly fished 82 days last year).  I am worried about a tarp or other cover scratching the fiberglass.  Being in Colorado I am mostly concerned about UV damage and the occasional hail storm.

The CalMark cover is surprisingly soft.  It's also pretty light, imo, considering the size.  My wife and I put it on together so I don't know how hard it would be to do it alone - not impossible, for sure.

Someone made a neat cover for their trailer out of PVC pipe.  I can't remember who, or I'd point you to their post about it.  But if I remember correctly, it was just a frame that formed a peaked roof and was tied to the awnings on each side.  Then a tarp went over that so that it didn't rub on the fiberglass at all.

• Moderators

Yes, the CalMark is a cloth cover.  But, as Overland states, this and similar covers are a bit of a chore to put on.  The taking them off is a bit easier, but it still involves a ladder and a bit of a reach at times.  The "old" part is not that big a deal, but, the "short" part certainly will not help you in getting any cover on and/or off.  Sounds to me like a storage facility that is either fully enclosed or with just a roof over your Oliver would be a good bet.  On the other hand, a good wax job a couple of times a year will mostly protect it from the elements.  Of course, you should also cover your tires when in storage - particularly at higher altitudes.

Welcome and congrates on your new Ollie.  It really is a fly fisherpersons dream.  If you would ever like to compare notes on places to fish - just shoot me a PM.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I think Anita mentioned to me that you are a fly fisherman.  I live to fly fish. Am a guide and a leader here in Colorado.  Backing off that stuff this year to have time for myself to fish.  Do have six trips planned this season already.  I am leaning to inside storage.  The problem is I have one of those Anderson sway bars and there is not room in the inside storage facility for me to back up directly in front of the camper to load it up.  I would need to buy an electrical dolly to maneuver it in and out.  Campers I am sure are a lot like boats in the amount of $$$ you sink into them. Which leads me to another question, what wax do you use/recommend on the camper? Thanks for your comments. Celia

Hope you love your new Ollie. I'm scheduled to pick up my new Oliver Elite on March 7 and am very much looking forward to it. Curious to know what you think of the size? I was torn between the Elite and Elite II, but went for the smaller one mainly because it will be easier to tow. I would love to hear what you come up with for a cover/protection system as I am wondering the same thing. Happy travels!

My biggest gripe with a cover is dirt. If your trailer is dirty you can’t use the cover without trapping a layer of abrasive grit between the shiny gelcoat and a moving cloth cover. In winter you often cannot wash your trailer before covering it. If you drag the inside of your cover on the ground, it gets dirty. Cleaning the cover itself is very difficult.

Installing is only slightly difficult but you have to periodically check it to make sure it is OK and the straps are secure. Taking a wet one off is very unpleasant. Folding a wet or dirty one is a PITA. You can’t just crumple a wet one up into a bag and store it for the summer or it will mildew. So you need a flat area to lay it out to dry, and that exposes it to even more dirt.

If you have solar, the corners of the panel are sharp and very likely to abrade holes in a cover, especially if the area is windy.

I had another trailer long ago and tried a cover one winter and scrapped that idea. I figured out how to put it onto a fence to pressure wash it, and then when it was nearly dry it blew off into the dirt. Bad words ensued! Too many downsides and few upsides....

If you can afford the covered storage and ESPECIALLY if you can plug in your shore power cord, go for it. You will not regret it. Out of weather makes it so much easier on the trailer and you. If you can get a unit that is fully enclosed with a lockable door, so much the better. No thief will go after what he doesn’t see. He will head for the ones left by themselves outside....

My ideal approach if I had to keep mine outdoors: keep the trailer as clean as practical, park it where it will receive some direct sunlight, tilt the solar panel to 30 degrees so snow will slide off, remove heavy snow from the roof periodically , plug it in, and always coat it with a good protective film like Rejex at least annually.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Congratulations on your new Elite!  I was lucky and found one on the Forum,  new but pre-owned, a long story.  I saw one while out fishing last September and just fell in love with it.  Didn't even consider the Elite II for several reasons; one - the $$$, two -its only me, 3- bought a Tacoma and didn't want to purchase anything beefier (may regret it having to go over the continental divide as many times as I do).   As far as a cover, I think I am going choose to have it stored inside, but the one made in California looks really nice.  It is expensive keeping it inside but overall I think it is better for the camper and worth it in the long run.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Celia -

While there ae many good waxes on the market, I believe that you will hear the most about either 3M products and/or a wax called Rejex.  I used Rejex until a year ago when I tried Duragloss products.  I use a 4 to one mix of their product 923 (4 parts) and 952 (1 part) on everything inside the Oliver.  Yes, this includes the counters, mirrors and fiberglass.  I simply can't say enough good things about it.  On the exterior I use Duragloss product number 501 (Marine & RV Polish & Cleaner).  Duragloss lasts as long as Rejex but is easier to apply and remove and leaves a "slicker" finish - in my opinion.

Bill

edit:  John is correct - an enclosed storage facility certainly is much easier and one should be sure to only cover a clean surface.  The CalMark cover has three straps that go all around the Oliver plus a "rope" in the hem that allows one to tighten the cover around the bottom.  I've never had any of these straps loosen while in storage - but, I do check on them every 6 weeks or so just in case.

• Thanks 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My husband and I found an indoor storage that we used until we bought a new house for the Ollie!  And we LOVED them!!  Our new house is out in Hudson, CO, and most houses out in this subdivision have RV garages.

If you are close to Wheat Ridge, CO, check out The RV Garage at 303-484-9528.  Tell them Rob and Rolayne Volpe sent you.  But I vote -- keep 'er inside!!

Congrats CMDMOM,

You will enjoy the Ollie Perhaps we will see you this summer in CO.

Duragloss lasts as long as Rejex but is easier to apply and remove and leaves a “slicker” finish

Wow, any slicker than the Rejex I put on my Ollie and it would almost be invisible. I will try it after I use up all my rejex

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I used Rejex until a year ago when I tried Duragloss products. I use a 4 to one mix of their product 923 (4 parts) and 952 (1 part) on everything inside the Oliver. Yes, this includes the counters, mirrors and fiberglass. I simply can’t say enough good things about it. On the exterior I use Duragloss product number 501 (Marine & RV Polish & Cleaner). Duragloss lasts as long as Rejex but is easier to apply and remove and leaves a “slicker” finish – in my opinion.

Bill

Is that mixture for the inside your idea or is it in the directions?

Thanks

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Congrats CMDMOM,

Duragloss lasts as long as Rejex but is easier to apply and remove and leaves a “slicker” finish

Wow, any slicker than the Rejex I put on my Ollie and it would almost be invisible. I will try it after I use up all my rejex

RB

I've been using the rejex, too, and so far I haven't seen anything special about it.  I think this spring I'll switch to Duragloss and see how that works.

I’ve been using the rejex, too, and so far I haven’t seen anything special about it. I think this spring I’ll switch to Duragloss and see how that works.

Depends what you were using before. I was a firm believer in Meguires Ultimate paste wax, used it for many years and loved the way it lasted and looked.

I tried  Rejex and it simply blows a regular wax out of the water. What impressed me most is I can take my truck or trailer into a quarter car wash and blast it 95% clean with just high pressure water, no soap or scrubbing needed. Dried bugs don’t “fall off “but they come off with very minimal effort. I could never do that with a regular product. In winter I hose off my truck to remove the road crud, low pressure only (60 psi), and it comes out much cleaner than previous winters.

If you have an older or desmogged diesel, use it on the rear fender and bumper and the black exhaust crud comes off very easily, no staining. It was noticeably better on my ‘06 ram Cummins than waxes.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
I was lucky and found one on the Forum, new but pre-owned, a long story. I saw one while out fishing last September and just fell in love with it . . . bought a Tacoma and didn’t want to purchase anything beefier (may regret it having to go over the continental divide as many times as I do). 

cmdmom,

It was nice to run into you while camping in Colorado last fall. Congratulations on finding an Oliver Elite to replace your teardrop and make life much easier on those days of constant rain!  Overall, you will find yourself much more relaxed and refreshed with the amenities and space in your "new to you" rolling palace.  Those trout don't stand a chance!    We are only as old as we feel, and, having met you in person, I would not consider you as old.  (Now, BILL, on the other hand . . . )

If you cannot have a covered shelter built on your property, covered storage is the way to go, if it is available.  Various great products can help maintain the shine on your Elite.  The key is to give it TLC and a shine on a regular basis . . . say every 6 months or so and it will always look brand new.

Your Tacoma will be sufficient for you, even in the mountains.  If you have the newer 3.5L engine, you might need to be patient with it on the steeper hills.  But the product is bullet proof and should serve you well.

Enjoy your newfound luxury as you attack those fish!

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Tom & Cheryl -

Actually, Bruce and Cheryl Norton (fellow Oliver owners) demonstrated Duragloss products for me at last year's Owner's Rally.  Cheryl is the one that recommended using that mixture.  Using a microfiber cloth you spray this mixture on, wipe with one side of the cloth and then give the area another wipe with the other side and you are done.  No streaks - just sparkle!  I've used so many different "wax" products in my life that all the claims of "easy", "best ever", "no streaks", "like new", etc. have created so many callouses that just leave me numb.  But, when someone actually shows you - on your Oliver - how this stuff works, it is difficult to not become interested.  No, neither the Norton's nor myself get a penny or anything else from Duragloss for saying these things.

Bill

• Thanks 3

So many questions.  Thank you for all your advice and recommendations.  Here is my latest issue.  Today I moved my Elite into indoor storage. I have read the manuals about the batteries and it might as well be written in Russian. Here is my question. Where I have it stored there is only the standard three plug 20amp plug, no 30 amp. Could I buy two trickle chargers and hook each  battery separately up to one of the chargers? I really don't want to or have the confidence to physically remove batteries or disconnect them.