GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado diesels as tow vehicles for Elite II?

GypseaHeart

My spouse and I are full timers in our fifth wheel but considering going part time and downsizing to a used or new Elite II. We have a Ram 3500 diesel dually tow vehicle but would like something smaller. I realize that a half ton or 3/4 ton truck would be easily sufficient for the Elite II, but I was curious about a midsize truck like the Canyon/Colorado diesels rated at 7,700 lb towing (7,550 with crew cab, 4X4, and long box which I prefer). It would appear to me that it would have enough power to pull a 7,000 lb GVWR Elite II depending on options and truck cargo load (1,420 lb max payload for diesel crew cab 4X4 long box). I believe the Canyon/Colorado diesels have a greater towing capacity than the Toyota Tacoma (6,800 lb max) and I have read on the forum that some people use Tacomas to pull Elite IIs. I also love my diesel engine exhaust brakes and would like to have them on my next tow vehicle.

Any relevant thoughts would be appreciated. I apologize in advance for being new to the site and not knowing how to search previous topics which may have addressed this.

2019 Chev Colorado Z71 4x4 Duramax 2.8L Turbo-Diesel

2020 LEII Twin Bed Hull #586

I think you will find that the general opinion here is that these mid-sized diesel pickups are adequate at low elevations and on relatively flat terrain, but the severe lack of payload makes them a very poor choice for extensive travel, especially for full timers. You need a HD truck that you can load down without constantly worrying about how much stuff weighs, plus you can then tow the bigger Oliver with a simple dead weight hitch which hugely simplifies things. Most half ton and all smaller tow vehicles require the Andersen hitch, which works well but frankly is a PITA to use.

My suggestion is trade your big dually in on a late model 2500 with coil or air suspension and enjoy the vastly improved driving dynamics without losing too much capability.

There are a number of Ollie owners who started out small (with a Tacoma for example) and later traded into a HD vehicle, and I don’t recall any of them saying it was a mistake. Trading down too far would be a mistake for a full timing couple.....

Welcome to the forum.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

I own both trucks. The Silverado 2500 HD diesel is our tow vehicle. The Canyon SLT with the “baby” Duramax is our daily driver around town. Would it pull the trailer? Of course it would. Would I consider using it on a 10K mile cross country trip or to go to Alaska? No way. You don’t NEED a dually to pull an Elite II. But it’s what you have. It would do a fine job with never a worry about weight.  If you want to get another truck go to a SRW 2500. You will have the same capabilities without wearing out two extra tires.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I've heard nothing but good on the baby diesel GMC. But --- what scubaRx said. It is that simple.

Good luck in your search.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Thanks for the input, especially about the hitch issue with which I am unfamiliar since I have been towing a fifth wheel trailer. I think I will forget the idea of a midsize truck like the Canyon/Colorado. I also like excess power and safety. I was a little surprised by the recommendations for a 3/4 ton truck instead of a half ton truck, however. I was interested in the new design of the 2019 Ram 1500, but I understand the diesel engine for that is not available until later this year and the towing specs for it do not look that much better than the mid size trucks. The new Ram 1500 does have the option of a 5.7 Liter V8 Hemi with around 11,000 lb tow rating and about 1,900 payload (using a 3.92 axle ratio). But I will certainly consider the 3/4 ton trucks as you all recommended. Thanks again. I look forward to be towing an Ollie later this year.

2019 Chev Colorado Z71 4x4 Duramax 2.8L Turbo-Diesel

2020 LEII Twin Bed Hull #586

Hello Gypseaheart: I recently purcased a 2019 GMC Canyon Denali 4X4 crew cab long box with the Duramax Diesel. My initial thought when I test drove was "its only 181 hp" however the 369lb ft of torque was the real draw. I have not yet had the opportunity to personally road test the GMC towing I am expecting delivery of my Oliver Elite (Hull #431) late March so the GMC will get its first towing road test of around 700 miles. My previous intended tow vehicle was a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. I did not think the Ridgeline would be up to the task if I decided later to upgrade to an Elite II. So far (1500 miles) combined driving I get 23+ mpg and just over 31 highway cruising at 70 mph. While not a "rocket ship" off the line acceleration is more than adequate. I am pleased with the trade up to the GMC. There are a lot of towing comparison tests on You Tube of the GMC diesel vs the Gas V6. Check out "2017 Chevy Colorado vs GMC Canyon Duramax Ike Gauntlet".

• Thanks 1

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

• Moderators

I had a 2012 Tacoma when we picked up our Ollie 3 years ago. It pulled fine. The issue for me became range with the smallish gas tank and limited cargo capacity of the bed. Our Ram 1500 is a fine tow vehicle, 70K miles so far. When it’s time to get something new I will be looking at the new Ram 2500 or other 3/4 ton.

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS