Hot Water Heater Valve in Open Position?

dbp05ret

We have been dry camping for a week now and today I have decided to fill fresh water tank and de winterize. The first thing I did was place hot water heater anode screw in and tighten I then filled the tank to 90 % and turned on water pump. All is well and water is flowing and pump is pumping. Now my stumbling block. I am not sure if I have water in hot water tank. I have yet to turn hot water heater on due to that anxiety. Attached is a picture of how I have the valve. Any advice if this is correct direction of the valve to allow water into the heater?

Open the temp and pressure valve. The little lever on the brass valve at the top of the heater.  If you get water out you have the valve in the right place. Get any air out. This is the first step. Then open hot water faucet to get any air there out of the lines.

I agree about opening the relief valve to let out trapped air from the tank. It isn’t at all necessary, you can just open the two faucet hot handles.... The water heater owners manual actually recommends that you leave a little air at the top of the tank to act as a cushion, sort of like an accumulator. (It says that if hot water seeps from the relief valve during normal operation, turn off the pump and vent some water from the relief valve, which lowers the water level slightly, then close it.)  The air should not be removed entirely, but if it is, nothing bad will happen except maybe some seepage.

If the winterization valve is in the summer mode the handle will be aligned toward the tank (toward the street side). If it is in the winter mode (bypassed) then the valve handle will be at 90 degrees to the tank, in other words, aligned with the bypass hose that connects the hot and cold lines together. This “aligned in the direction of flow” is standard plumbing practice, so you can see at a glance how a valve is set.

BTW your picture did not load, do you want to try again?

This doesn’t relate directly to your problem but it might interest you. ... http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/hot-water-heater-110v-element-switch-safety-label/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

If the winterization valve is in the summer mode the handle will be aligned toward the tank (toward the street side). If it is in the winter mode (bypassed) then the valve handle will be at 90 degrees to the tank, in other words, aligned with the bypass hose that connects the hot and cold lines together.

So, I got water out of the pressure relief valve and it is warm. Every time I push the water heater button above the galley, it stays on for 15 seconds (red light) and then goes off.

Thanks in advance!

Darryl

I think I am getting somewhere. This is my valve config that I am using is below. It is opposite of Bill"s which is in by pass mode. I remembered to turn on both switches. One at the water heater and the other above the galley. I take it that the one above the galley does stay on red because it quits shining after 15 seconds or so. I have really hot water at kitchen sink and bathroom. However, I believe the one in bathroom has the plumbing reverse. The direction of blue in the bathroom has hot water emitting and red has cold. This is opposite of kitchen sink.

John,

Thanks for the post about the switch at the water heater.  That was one of my mistakes.

pic8.thumb.jpg.d410d6492ef65cc78a507c78a2f2c4a1.jpg

So, I got water out of the pressure relief valve and it is warm. Every time I push the water heater button above the galley, it stays on for 15 seconds (red light) and then goes off.

That's what the light is suppose to do. It goes out when the water heater ignites. Is you electric switch on inside the water heater cover outside?

Edit: We posted at the same time. Sounds like you got it except for the bathroom being reversed.

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

@ John D:

My Ollie has three hot water valves.... counting the outside shower.

:-)

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I just found this nifty drawing, showing the air pocket you should try to maintain inside the heater.... this is for a different brand so the layout is a little different. Same concept tho.

72367FB7-B194-4A30-8AD7-3035C277798B.thumb.jpeg.de8bf696dd73093603ccb6adb66d00ac.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

During our build I had an interior switch placed for the electric aspect of the water heater. The switch controls 12VDC power to a relay which controls 120VAC power to the heater. An LED illuminates to tell me the system is in the mode to provide power to the electric element and reminds me if I have left the system activated. Sure does make it easier than fiddling with a breaker or having go outside to turn it off or on.

image.thumb.jpg.bd363b0cf2bf0997469b9819625339ef.jpg

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg