Fresh water tank drain

Going

We took possession of our Oliver Elite II in May of  this year and as we departed the factory, Hunter, who had just de-winterized it that morning, opened up the fresh water holding tank valve so that the contents would drain out on our way to David Crockett.  We have only used city water since we got the trailer but the status display shows that there is still quite a bit of water in the fresh water holding tank.  I want to actually flush this tank and am wondering the safest way to do this.

I am thinking to simply hook up the city water supply line to the tank fill and slowly fill the tank while also opening the drain valve.  Knowing that it will fill faster than it will drain, is there any down-side to doing this?  Also, how many hours would it be recommended to run this flush procedure to ensure it's clean?  Once clean, I would continue to let the tank drain completely and just fill it up before we go out again.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

You could do that.  As you flush it, most of the water will flow out of the overflow rather than the drain.

But if I were you, I'd fill and drain it once, sanitize, and then flush with another full tank.  Also, instead of just draining the chlorine solution out of the tank, run it through the faucets into the grey tank and let that sit overnight.

• Like 1

Mike

Where are the plumbing schematics located? I cannot find any schematics in my manual.

Thanks

Neil

Neil & Diana

Living full time in our Oliver traveling North America

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II Raised Twin Bed. Hull # 138

2020 F250 4x4, Supercab, Longbed, 7.3 gasser

• Moderators

Neil -

Go to Travel Trailers in the blue banner above, then go to the bottom of the page under Oliver University.  Next click on Legacy Elite II, find your model (2019 models are first up on the list) and click on that model.  Under the index will be a list of items to include plumbing and under that you will find the page where the plumbing schematic is located.

Bill

p.s.  I just noticed that your Oliver is a 2016.  There is no schematic in that owner's manual.  However, while there have been some "slight" changes, the schematic for the 2019's is really not all that different from the 2016 model.  At least it should give you a good general idea of what is where.

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
But if I were you, I’d fill and drain it once, sanitize, and then flush with another full tank.  Also, instead of just draining the chlorine solution out of the tank, run it through the faucets into the grey tank and let that sit overnight.

This is an excellent practice, as it also helps sanitize your water lines.

We don't use chlorine anymore. We use Purogene instead in the rv and the boat.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Bill,

Thank You. I will download the 2019 plumbing schematic.

Neil

Neil & Diana

Living full time in our Oliver traveling North America

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II Raised Twin Bed. Hull # 138

2020 F250 4x4, Supercab, Longbed, 7.3 gasser

• Moderators

[postquote quote=177210][/postquote]

Sorry I missed your question about the plumbing diagram.  Let us know if you have any trouble finding it.

Mike

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

In addition, Cedarforks did some really nice schematics of the plumbing system.  You might want to PM him in this regard.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 year later...

Well reading this thread, I found out the slow drain is normal.  Mine is Hull #246, Elite II, 2017.  Did not realize the valve opening was only a pea size.  Kept thinking well maybe its a 1/4 turn valve and not a 180.  No difference.  I was going to blow air back up in there thinking it was clogged too.  Saved me the trouble.  Not sure why Oliver didn't use a larger drain valve.  If I knew the answer to that, I might try replacing it with a larger valve.

• Wow 1

On 6/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, fritzfrangle said:

Bill,

Thank You. I will download the 2019 plumbing schematic.

Neil

Neil,

Here's an updated diagram I created to augment the 2019 EII Manual.
This "might work" for your 2016, but given the changes often made, you may want to use it as a reference.

I can send you a version for yours marked up if you find it's different in a 2016 after inspection.

I have this as both a PDF and JPG...and can edit it for you as needed.

Craig Short

Valve Diagram 2019 Elite II.jpg

• Thanks 2

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

On 6/25/2019 at 3:53 AM, fritzfrangle said:

Forgot to mention this thread on Alternate Plumbing Diagrams has some good updates from various Forum Members...

• Thanks 2

Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle

On 9/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, Going said:

Well reading this thread, I found out the slow drain is normal.  Mine is Hull #246, Elite II, 2017.  Did not realize the valve opening was only a pea size.  Kept thinking well maybe its a 1/4 turn valve and not a 180.  No difference.  I was going to blow air back up in there thinking it was clogged too.  Saved me the trouble.  Not sure why Oliver didn't use a larger drain valve.  If I knew the answer to that, I might try replacing it with a larger valve.

Installing a bigger valve will help, but just a little; the problem is not really the size of the opening, it is the lack of head pressure. If your water tank were located up high, say on the roof, the water would shoot out of that little valve like a fire hose.... well, almost.

To get a really fast drain you would need a great big dump valve, like 1/2”. Big, expensive, clunky, heavy. Raising the front of the trailer helps a little to increase the head pressure (at first) and gets rid of those few last gallons. Since the Ollie tank is so very low, maybe the best solution is to accept it for what it is and just go do something else productive while it dribbles out. Mine takes 22 minutes. Irritating, but not the end of the world. If yours takes much longer than that, there may be a blockage in the outside line, like a dead bug. If the water is a little stale, rather than drain it, I just let the fill hose run for an extra five minutes to flush the old tank contents out the big vent line. That is nearly as effective as a drain and fill, and lots quicker.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, Going said:

Craig, thanks for the diagram.  Mine is the 2017 Elite II.  I knew the accumulator had been added but wondering what it does?  Might add it to mine.

An accumulator tank is a water chamber which has a pre-pressurized internal air bladder. They are installed on the pressured side of your pump and dampen water pressure 'spikes', reduce pump cycling, help increase the pump's life and also save battery power.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, Overland said:

Do you have the Truma with the circulation pump?  If so, the second valve is to drain the circulation line for winterization.

Regardless of which water heater you have, I think you still need to bypass it when winterizing.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Hi John.  Good point. One thing you said is "22 minutes".  No way mine drains in that time.  More like 5 hours.  I remember shortly after I picked it up, I had to replace the pump and there were a lot of plastic shreds in the filter.  I also seem to remember the first time I drained the tank prior it did drain faster.  I have a strong suspicion I have some plastic filings caught in the drain valve.  I will blow it out from the bottom with air, but likely that will be temporary as they will just float back down there. Probably will have to cut the line behind the valve, then blow out and reconnect with alligator clip.  Thanks for mentioning 22 minutes!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Installing a bigger valve will help, but just a little; the problem is not really the size of the opening, it is the lack of head pressure. If your water tank were located up high, say on the roof, the water would shoot out of that little valve like a fire hose.... well, almost.

To get a really fast drain you would need a great big dump valve, like 1/2”. Big, expensive, clunky, heavy. Raising the front of the trailer helps a little to increase the head pressure (at first) and gets rid of those few last gallons. Since the Ollie tank is so very low, maybe the best solution is to accept it for what it is and just go do something else productive while it dribbles out. Mine takes 22 minutes. Irritating, but not the end of the world. If yours takes much longer than that, there may be a blockage in the outside line, like a dead bug. If the water is a little stale, rather than drain it, I just let the fill hose run for an extra five minutes to flush the old tank contents out the big vent line. That is nearly as effective as a drain and fill, and lots quicker.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Are you saying the tank drain is less than 1/2"?  Seems small to me.  Great idea, running the fill hose longer to flush the tank.  

Regarding draining the tank:  I seem to recall reading that another RV owner ( I think it was on a 5th-wheel) installed a fitting in the tank drain so you can connect a hose and divert the water to a drain or at least away from where you are parked.  Has anyone heard of this being done?

Ray and Susan Huff

33 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

Are you saying the tank drain is less than 1/2"?  Seems small to me.  Great idea, running the fill hose longer to flush the tank.  

Regarding draining the tank:  I seem to recall reading that another RV owner ( I think it was on a 5th-wheel) installed a fitting in the tank drain so you can connect a hose and divert the water to a drain or at least away from where you are parked.  Has anyone heard of this being done?

The hose is 1/2” inside. The actual hole in the ball valve is less, tho I have never actually looked at it. This is pretty common, look at your garden hose squirt nozzle or shutoff valve sometime - it is pretty restricted unless it is made by Eley.

Extension hose...... hmmmmm, let me think. Oh yeah.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4267-how-to-fresh-tank-drain-line-extension/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

The hose is 1/2” inside. The actual hole in the ball valve is less, tho I have never actually looked at it. This is pretty common, look at your garden hose squirt nozzle or shutoff valve sometime - it is pretty restricted unless it is made by Eley.

Extension hose...... hmmmmm, let me think. Oh yeah.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/4267-how-to-fresh-tank-drain-line-extension/

John Davies

Spokane WA

Yes . . . . .that's the idea.  Thanks

Ray and Susan Huff