RV Traveling through Mexico ?

BackofBeyond

All,

I'm doing some long term planning/thinking - has anyone any experience - recent 1-3 years - RV traveling through Mexico. We would like to do some pacific side camping, beach type camping, looking for surf beach communities, and such.

Seems I find horror stories, but I know people are doing this, without issue.

Just curious.

Thanks

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I have never been to Mexico and won’t for the foreseeable future. With so many wonderful and safe places to visit in the USA and Canada I have to ask why anyone would choose to travel anywhere in Mexico. Sure the odds are that nothing bad will happen, but I guarantee that you will be constantly worrying about becoming a target for theft or worse, or an innocent bystander in a gang shooting.

I won’t ever go into the bad neighborhoods of Baltimore or East St Louis, and I consider the mainland of Mexico to fall into that category: a place to avoid. This particular state is a real doozie:

”Tamaulipas state – Level 4: Do Not Travel. Do not travel due to crime.

Violent crime, such as murder, armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, and sexual assault, is common. Gang activity, including gun battles and blockades, is widespread. Armed criminal groups target public and private passenger buses as well as private automobiles traveling through Tamaulipas, often taking passengers hostage and demanding ransom payments. Federal and state security forces have limited capability to respond to violence in many parts of the state.”

That one and the other Level 3 and 4 states - Chihuahua, Coahuila, and Sonora - are all along the US border. Check your atlas. There is no way to drive into the safer parts of Mexico (other than the Baja Peninsula) without passing through them...

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Mexico.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Wow,

Thanks David,

That is just what I was looking for, first hand recent accounts of travel in Mexico. I suppose Baja was my intended destination, that and farther down the pacific side of the country.

I've been to Mexico on business - was impressed by some things, and not so on others. It can be dangerous in some respects, but as has been mentioned, so can be the US. Heck, I've been to Baltimore, the shady and the decent spots and East ST Louis by day, and a few other less than desirable places. I think it just requires a little common sense for the most part. Yes I have a good deal of the US left to explore, all in due time. Europe, South/Central America all in the mix, one has to have dreams.....

I have some lofty goals on the distant horizon, one being getting back on a surf board - actually surfing agian - and Mexico has some great places. I am not fond of the surf in the Gulf (Florida) and So California is just too crazy. With some additional research, I'm confident the plan will fall into place just as I'm fully healed, and retirement a normal day.

I can see a few winter months on the BAJA peninsula - its penciled in.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Well, Baja is a different beast, I wouldn’t hesitate to go there directly from California. I don’t think I could get the nerve to go over to the mainland with a travel trailer.

But travelling anywhere in Latin America with a gorgeous high dollar camper will attract unwanted attention. How about a vinyl wrap that makes the hull look old, and spray the wheels with flat grey Plasti Dip. Apply a few bullet hole stickers. Replace a window with plywood. And keep everything really dirty. That part is easy enough.

Here is what you want it to look like....

BFF9C550-6D28-4DAE-9B19-9E8F8273A838.thumb.jpeg.2bc88d21e513bbbfecd17e8232b1e2da.jpeg

Hmmmm, it’s time to watch Dust to Glory one more time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We were camping in Organ Pipe National Park on the border and there was a club of about 30 or so camper that meet there and then went as a caravan group into Mexico for a beach area as well and most stayed for a month or two.  Can't remember the club but some searches and you might find them. Good luck but not for me got plenty to do from Alaska and the Candian Maritimes I enjoy too IMG_6100.thumb.jpg.ce6f94a87be0174f21059cea92bdaac0.jpg

greatly. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Hull #390 here. Relatively new owner and newer to forum postings, but here it goes. We had a dream to travel the Baja peninsula and set a plan in motion to make it happen. Today is our 37th day in Baja and we're currently at Playa Santispac making our way north to cross the "wall" once again. We traveled south as far as Los Barriles and Todos Santos. I can't speak to mainland Mexico, but I can assure you that RVing is alive and well in Baja. Is it for everyone? Probably not. But if you have a sense of adventure, the people, culture, scenery, winter weather and food are spectacular. We'd be happy to share more details if this is of interest to you.

Bill & Leslie Schick

2018 LE II Hull #390

• Thanks 5

Alamos, Sonora was a primo RV destination in the 80's--Copper canyon railway--colonial architecture--amazing food.  all sitting in red-rock/Grand Canyon tropical splendor.  Groups from AZ would caravan down.  No idea how it is nowdays--there are still RV parks on TripAdvisor, perhaps one can car-ferry over from La Paz to avoid the dreaded Hermosillo/Los Mochis gauntlet.  Nothing in AZ or Cali touches Alamos in scenic beauty or culture.

• Thanks 2

Tow with 2018 Chevy Colorado baby Duramax, plug-in solar--dual awnings.  

• Moderators

Several years ago, one of our single axle Elite owners, JR Birdman / Aubrey, traveled through Mexico with a well organized, large caravan.  He said it was a wonderful trip that went down the eastern states of Mexico all the way to Belize and then returned on a more central Mexico route.  Aubrey said the numerous large speed bumps were brutal on some of the caravaners' equipment.  His Ollie stayed together much better than most of the larger units he travelled with.  He was also very happy to have his sophisticated water filtration system along. I believe the key to a trip like that is joining a well established RV caravan group that has experienced leaders who have made the trip before.  It may be expensive, but you get the benefit of their in-depth planning and knowledge of how to "grease the system" when needed.

Safety-in-numbers is a real benefit should you decide to go there.  It would not be advisable to embark on a solo journey through much of that area.

• Thanks 2

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg