Cleaning the Ollie after camping under Pine trees?

1Lessworker

What suggestions do you have to clean the Ollie after camping under A lot of sap dripping  pine trees (or for any sap dripping trees), Do you use different products to clean the fiberglass and the Solar panels?

Thanks Harold

Sue & Harold

Oliver Elite II Twin bed,  Hull #508, Ram 2500

CAIDINIAKYMIMNMTNENVNDOHORSDTNUTWIWYmed.            

I hate drippy trees, cottonwoods are also really bad.... here is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-Adhesive-Cleaner/dp/B00ZIM9XPI

It works very well on sap, bugs and road tar too. It will completely strip any wax so you must reapply a protective coating afterwards. It is quite expensive online but if you call a local auto paint supply store you will find it way cheaper. I pay $14 per quart locally. It is used everywhere for paint prep at body shops.

Wear gloves and use adequate ventilation. You only need a quart unless you plan on camping under drippy trees all the time. It is safe for the solar panel and all plastics.

I also suggest that you strip off any old wax from the entire trailer hull by washing with a strong solution of blue Dawn detergent and this product. Apply Rejex or a similar non-wax coating. Rejex cannot be applied over wax, it needs to bond to the gelcoat. It will make future cleaning much easier and the trailer will look stunning.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

I use GOOF OFF, Pro Strength.  It’s available at Home Depot and lots of other places.  If the tree sap has crystallized, I soften it with the GOOF OFF and remove the bulk of the sap with a plastic razor blade and finish the removal with more GOOF OFF.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Even less work than the above. Rubbing alcohol it desloves the sap and wipes off. I stayed at a state park in SC. Full of pine trees in the spring. Large drops of sap everywhere, on a black truck, not happy. The park Ranger suggested the rubbing alcohol. It worked great even with some dried on sap it took a little longer. Use small spray bottle, spray area and wipe microfiber cloth works great. Did not hurt the paint  Now this was for pine sap. I don't know about other types of sap.  Good luck I hate tree sap.

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

One more thing forgot to mention. Rubbing alcohol is a good prep for vehicles it does remove wax to make a clean surface of added decals graphics etc. After  removing the sap it would be a good idea to re wax those areas.

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I think Goof Off is mostly acetone, at least it smells like it.  I usually use the milder Goo Gone (butane?) since it's much less likely to dissolve plastics..  But for use on fiberglass, I'm sure either is fine.

One more thing forgot to mention. Rubbing alcohol is a good prep for vehicles it does remove wax to make a clean surface of added decals graphics etc.
I've heard mixed messages as to whether rubbing alcohol leaves a residue.  I think 100% iso does not, but some of the diluted ones seem to, so perhaps some brands don't use pure water to dilute it.  Anyway, because of that, I was told not to use rubbing alcohol to clean beforehand when I was doing our decals.

I'd be careful with all of the above around caulk joints.

This is going to be one of my new favorite things.  I feel dumb for not knowing these existed.

• Moderators

If you order the plastic razor blades, be sure to get the double edged ones.  They hold up much better than the chisel edged ones.  I took one for the team and bought a 100 pack of the chisel edged ones.  I’ll sell the 98 I have left cheap and throw in a bridge to boot?.

On the alcohol subject, I have had trouble with 3M tape products sticking to the Ollie.  As usual for me, I sometimes read the directions after I have experienced trouble.  The directions for a tape product I was using recently suggested the enclosed alcohol prep pad or use a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water.  So far so good.

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

You can make your own plastic scraper.... buy a scrap of 1/4” or 3/8” thick plexiglass at Lowes and cut it with a saw to a handy size, say 2” wide by 4 “ long. Use a belt sander to sand a 45 degree cutting edge on one side (run the belt away from the cutting edge so melted plastic does not build up there). Curve the sharp ends if you want to eliminate gouging. Curve and radius the end that goes in your palm so it is comfy. When the scraping edge gets dull, touch it up on the sander.

I have scrapers of various sizes in my tool box that are over 40 years old, made from scraps of busted aircraft windshields and windows. They last forever.... well, almost. If you know an A&P, ask him to save you a piece of broken window.

Plastic scrapers can quickly wreck pretty gelcoat, I don’t recommend using one unless there is no other way. Always use a lubricating solution, either soapy water or a mild solvent that won’t attack the plastic. Dry scraping just scratches!

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.