Beginner Lessons Learned and Relearned

DonnaDuane

Thanks for the tips.  Which Viair compressor do you recommend?  And what leveling system (or systems) do you recommend?

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Looking forward to years of exploring in our 2019 LE II, pulling with an F150, V8, 3.73 rear, 4x4 Off Road, tow package . . . All I need to do is retire first!  Matthew   <><

We are on Day 28 of a shake down inaugural trip in Oliver 412. We love our Eva-Dry dehumidifier and our Honeywell Space Heater. Also, we purchased a Fiksu Pets Elevated Dog bed for our Cairn Terrier. These have all been worthwhile purchases.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

We are on Day 28 of a shake down inaugural trip in Oliver 412. We love our Eva-Dry dehumidifier and our Honeywell Space Heater. Also, we purchased a Fiksu Pets Elevated Dog bed for our Cairn Terrier. These have all been worthwhile purchases.

It is always good to tell us what model you recommend, and especially WHY, and maybe post a link. For example, there are a more than a few Honeywell heaters: ... https://www.honeywellstore.com/store/category/heaters.htm

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 5 months later...

Hello Oliver Buddies, I’ve been away for quite a while. Since it’s been nearly a year since we took delivery of our demo Elite I, I decided it would be prudent to repack the wheel bearings. It seemed simple enough. I’d done it on my cars before, so felt confident this would go smoothly. I watched the Dexter how to video and several others on YouTube. Looked up the part numbers and ordered everything from etrailer.com. Got the first wheel off no problem because the lugs were dangerously loose (So glad I didn’t wait for that pending disaster to happen. ) Next I removed inner seal and compared it to my new parts. Yikes! New parts were ALL too small, so I take the entire hub to local parts store. They measure the seal with calipers, search for 10 minutes to find on their shelves, and sell me two for $38.50. Existing bearings were still in perfect condition. Went home to install repacked bearings and new seal. It went in the hub fine, but when I tried to slide it back on the spindle, it just wouldn’t go. I pushed and pushed. I checked brake pad clearance and nothing worked. So, I took it off only to discover I’d damaged it. Then I discovered it had a smaller ID than the original. Went back to parts store. They blamed it on measuring while still on hub. They were kind enough to refund my $38.50 and find another parts store down the road that had what I needed. Got to other store, showed them old one. They walked directly to shelf with matching seals. Sold me both for $7.50. Got home. Put it all back together with ease. I still don’t know the correct part numbers for bearings and races so I can reorder them to carry for an emergency while on the road. If you do, please tell me. Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

• Moderators

Welcome back. Sounds like you live in a really nice community, with helpful vendors. Glad you got it all straight. ?

The part numbers weren't on the invoice, I guess? Back in the day, we'd just get a ticket that said "parts" and a price, but excellent service. Sounds like your store...

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

You can call Redneck Trailer Supply at 1-877-9Redneck, give them your axle number and they can give you the part numbers.  Redneck is the parts supplier to Oliver.  Shortly after I got my camper I did this and while the parts they shipped me are made in China, they are in nicely sealed blister packaging which is very convenient to carry as a spare.  I'd also be willing to bet that if you went back into that second local store where you got your seals they could tell you these numbers as long as you supplied them with the axle info.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

To avoid further confusion, the Dexter axle owner's manual list all their part numbers for each weight axle. Take all the numbers for a 5000# axle, go to Rockauto.com, and do part number searches for each of these Dexter numbers. The returns will list comparable manufacture's parts. Most if not all the specs will list country of origin. If "Made in China" bearings are undesirable, select the US made Timken brand bearings and National seals.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

Here's how to find the Dexter axle lot serial number in the following link, if you don't have the owner's manual that BHNCB mentioned. Give Dexter's service department this number and they will email a PDF copy of the axle build sheet.  This sheet has dimensions and Dexter part numbers that can be crossed over to your preference of seals/bearings. We buy our axle supplies from Redneck Trailer, there's a local store. There are large industrial supply chains like Motion Industries that have an assortment of bearings and seals, too.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/light-duty-axle-identificationb27a839d2ba463c18d7aff64007a4014.pdf?sfvrsn=0

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

LE2

• 2 years later...

Regarding #9, even better is to dump gray for 3 seconds, then black, then rest of gray. This lubricates the sewer hose so that black contents doesn't stick to a dry hose. 

I'm now the proud owner of Kleen Tank of the Tennessee Valley. If you want your Ollie tanks professionally cleaned, give me a call at 865-224-8400 or go to www.kleentank.com

Cheers, Scott

Hull #961

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2022 Legacy Elite II, Hull #961 towed with a 2013 F-150 Platinum SuperCrew with the V6 EcoBoost

Follow us at https://oliverstravels.substack.com/

visited-united-states-map-AL.png.75af7717d1cb452895b9e43f9e88e9c3.png

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Gooey said:

Regarding #9, even better is to dump gray for 3 seconds, then black, then rest of gray. This lubricates the sewer hose so that black contents doesn't stick to a dry hose. 

I will try this the next time we dump!  Still learning….!

• Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 weeks later...

Take it from someone who had a travel trailer some 45 years ago and are now camping again not much has changed in all that time. Yes all new electronics and appliances that are updated, but when it gets down to it most things are still done pretty much the same way. I personally feel that todays camping ways are pretty much as they were 40 yeas ago, no automatic sewer hookups, still need water hose and electrical connections, and you still get to level the trailer in campsites today. Best thing about camping today is there is in most cases a Walmart close by for those needed things. When I look at list that are posted today for camping there not to much difference from days past, in fact I sometime think they were easier back then.

trainman 

• Like 4

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.