F-150 EB 3.5 versus Ram 1500 or 2500

GraniteStaters

I’m pretty sure that the smaller number on each is the weight limit for a trailer without brakes.

I think of the two, the Ford will probably tow a bit easier, despite having the lower horsepower number, since it has a turbo engine. Also a bit more payload. Does it have any towing gizmos like cameras and backup assist?

It's all in the gearing, get the right truck and the wrong gears and you will be unhappy. I looked at the F-150 5.0 V8, the Tundra 5.7 V8, the Silverado 5.3 V8, and the Ram 5.7 V8, all what I would consider nice pickups and would all easily handle the Oliver Elite II. Yes, I'm a V8 guy, why not, there all tested, proven, and have stood the test of time. The F-150 3.6 V6 Turbo is the only V6 I even would possibly consider, but the extra cost just didn't justify my choice over the V8's in today's market. I went with the Ram 1500 just because of it's new design, 5.7 Hemi, and 8 speed trans, plus it's one good looking truck. I will say this, its hard to make a bad choice in one of the big four in today's market, there all good. I did not consider any of the mid-size pickups in today's market, they just don't do it for me when you can ride in full size comfort and have the room you need for caring your gear. That Ram Hemi dual exhaust really sounds great, just the right rumble sound to make your younger day's come back to life.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

The 2016 Ford F150 has a rear view camera and that is about all I see for towing and it is $33,000.  It does have a bed cover and liner which I think is nice and plenty of room in the crew cab for the dogs.   There is a 2013 Ford F150 Platinum with 48K miles on it for the same price with  "flex fuel" (what is that?) that has parking sensors but I do not see a rear view camera listed.  Both of these are at Carmax.  I have started with them because they do not swarm you like regular dealerships do.  And I wonder how I am to know what are the right gears?

Personally, if I were looking for a used F150, I'd limit my search to 2015 models and above, since there was a pretty significant update that year - new body, engines, features, better crash rating, etc.  You might even consider limiting your search to the 2016 model and up, since they added pro trailer backup assist as part of their tow package, and I think that's a worthwhile addition.  Platinum and King Ranch models are nice, but it seems like most people find the XLT and Lariat trim levels to be the sweet spot.

Currently, Ford offers two tow packages, the standard "Trailer Tow Package", and the "Max Trailer Tow Package".  I suspect that the packages have been unchanged since at least 2016, but I don't know for sure.  The max package will add an engine oil cooler, larger fuel tank, heavier duty hitch/bumper, integrated brake controller, and higher ratio gearing.  That's a lot of stuff for ~$300 new, so IMO you should look for that, and I'd think that package would be shown on any listing.  I believe that unless the truck has one of those two packages, then it won't even have a wiring harness for the trailer, so that's definitely something you'll want to look for.

If you see "Max Payload Package", then the truck will also have a higher gear ratio, though not necessarily any of the towing features.

It looks like the rear view camera is standard now, so I'd guess it has been since 2015.  I think there's an upgrade (on the Lariat and above models, maybe?) that gives you surround cameras, which are nice, but certainly optional.

So to sum up, I think that a 2015+ 3.5 eco boost XLT with one of those towing packages will get you what you need and be a good investment.  The Max Tow would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade, as would a 2016+ model.  Going up to a Lariat or above trim package will get you niceties, but not necessarily more capability.

That's all just personal opinion of course.

• Thanks 1

Nan, when you run into a technical term you don’t understand the quickest way to find an answer is to go to Google and enter the term and “Wikipedia”. For example... Flex fuel Wikipedia gets you to ....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible-fuel_vehicle

There are other useful places to visit online, the manufacturer website is one, but Wikipedia usually gets you a fast answer. But since it is info added and re-edited by random people it is not 100% accurate.

Carmax is a useful place to shop but their prices are always high. AutoTrader is what I use to find a vehicle at dealers. Treat this whole thing as a great adventure, drive lots of trucks, do NOT be pressured by anyone, ask here, remember that there are a GAZILLION used trucks out there, so you can be patient until you find the one that really appeals to you. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

there are two numbers 2000/10,800 lbs. What does the first number mean? The saleslady did not know. 

BINGO ! Salespeople know very little about what they sell. An exception might be the manager of the Fleet Sales dept at a new car dealership. Never assume that anybody selling used cars knows anything useful about the vehicle you are sitting in. Their background may include shoes or yard care. There is NO requirement when hiring that they know anything about anything. It is all about the Big Smile, the firm hand shake and grip the shoulder, and empty conversation.

Have you actually driven any trucks? What did you like or dislike about them? Do you have a car nut friend who could go with you?

Buying used will save you money but you pay for it in aggravation, reduced or no warranty, an unknown service history, hidden problems (possibly major) and you have to sit in a cabin that the previous owner sweated smoked and farted on. Buying a brand new truck at a steep sales discount has many advantages, the biggest for a traveller is you can stop at any dealer, say “Fix it under warranty” and drive off to go shopping and then go back to your Ollie in their free loaner car.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks, John.  No, so far I have not driven any..just dropped by Carmax 2 times and looked through their trucks. I found a couple I sort of liked, but am still looking. Thinking about going to Woody Folsom in Baxley, Ga. and checking them out.  They have ALL of the different trucks there. Chevy, Ford, GMC and Toyota in one lot..beats running from dealer to dealer.

Thanks, John. No, so far I have not driven any..just dropped by Carmax 2 times and looked through their trucks. I found a couple I sort of liked, but am still looking. Thinking about going to Woody Folsom in Baxley, Ga. and checking them out. They have ALL of the different trucks there. Chevy, Ford, GMC and Toyota in one lot..beats running from dealer to dealer.

OK, here is a strategy. Without driving a truck you have no clue if it is right for you.

Tell the sales droid at that dealership that you want to go on a 20 to 30 minute test drive with FOUR NEW 1500 (light duty) four wheel drive pickups, one from each of those four brands, on a route that includes both side streets and freeway. Tell him you need to get an initial feel for them to see what appeals to you before you can get down to specifics. Ask for a mid- level trim, crew cab, and short bed for each so that they are sort of comparable. Ask for the biggest engine that would be suitable for towing. Drive the exact same route with each truck. Drive them all back to back, then make notes about the your impressions while they are still fresh in your mind.

Be sure to note any big sales discounts on previous year new trucks and don’t ever tell him you might buy off their used lot. Just say you are undecided but wanted to try new trucks. Then take his card, thank him profusely and LEAVE.

Whichever truck you liked best, try to find it as a rental and drive that sucker all over the place over a weekend. Hit the road and go to some cool places, use it as you would if you had an Ollie. After this, you should have enough info to go out and pick something that wll work for towing and most of all, one that you will enjoy driving.

All the major rental agencies have light duty pickups. Finding the brand you want might be harder, they may want to hand you the keys to a Ram rather than the F150 you want. Even if you can’t get the one you liked best, take whatever they have, the general driving experience will be very similar for your weekend test.

Then you can go back and test individual used or new trucks with enough experience to make an informed decision. Then you can decide, light duty or heavy duty, packages, trim level, accessories, etc. This is hard work, but keep a firm hold of any emotions or stresses, and above all enjoy yourself. You can research and stare at trucks day after day, but until you actually drive one you simply have no clue... the one you arrive back at the lot in, grinning like the village idiot, might be the right choice.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Sales "Driod" - Kind of gives a bad name to droids - Good one JD.  ------ Truck, what's that??? Towing- Huh! But I can get you in one for $$$$  per month...72 of them...CARMAX = paymax...

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Nan, which Ollie did you order? The Elite or the Elite II?

John did offer some good suggestions. There are trucks that I love to drive ( my Silverado, for example) and others that just don't fit me. You'll know best when you get to drive a few.

There are a lot of great deals on 2019s in my county, as there seems to be a surplus of inventory heading into the new model year. Local news talked about it last night. I'm half tempted to go drive a few, myself.

Fwiw, I really loved the seats in my brother's new Ford 150 when he came down to Florida from Minnesota. Even the back seat was comfortable, with a lot of leg room. My sister inlaw, even shorter than I am, loves driving it, too, even with a trailer in tow. But, everyone is different, and that's why there are so many ( confusing) choices.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry, I have not ordered yet, but will get a II.  I live outside of Savannah, but am thinking about going to Baxley and look around at Woody Folsom.  They have all makes and models on their lots and that makes sense to me rather than running from dealer to dealer.  I will be using the back seat area for two rather large dogs.  Thanks for posting information to me.  Nan

A dealer tried to sell me this today:   2019 Silverado LTZ   6.2 engine. 12,500 lbs. Max Tow, Max Trailering Package. Lane keep assistance.  He wanted $60,123.  I told him to keep looking and that I was going to look some more in Savannah.  He said he had spent many hours looking for this vehicle and that he could get me others brought to his lot, but I would have to agree to take one of them before he would do that.  Negative.  That is why I could not do what John Davies said-to get 4 of them lined up and try them all.  Guess I will continue looking in and around Savannah, Georgia.  Thanks for listening me whine.

• Moderators

Not whining. Vehicle shopping is always a pita. Our daughter's vehicle was totalled by a distracted driver last month, ( she's ok), so she's dealing with the same thing... shopping without a real idea of what she wants.

Maybe go back to Carmax, see if you like anything at all. Honestly, even trying to get in and out of some of the big truck cabs is tough for me (shorter legs.) Drive a few. At least there, it's pretty easy to say " no." In my town, anyway, it's not a high pressure spot. Then again, i have no problem with sayin no.

If you should decide to buy new, you can buy anywhere, but you have to know what you like, and what you want. Warranty is good anywhere. We do have local dealers that we like for Chevy, Volvo, and, Dodge, but it wouldn't absolutely stop me from buying elsewhere. Just, those three dealers really try to work with existing clients.

I love my Silverado, but it's older (2005), and smaller than today's half tons. Paul's big Ram used to be a real challenge for me, but I'm ok with it now. The fancy German styling of the 2008 doesn't let me see the front of the truck from the driver's seat. it drops off and away.

Our daughter is driving my truck, so I have been driving his three or four days a week in city traffic. And, imo, city traffic is tougher than highway.

Best of luck.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Nan,

Be patient, the process seems stupid and stressful, but you are in control - after all its your $$$$.

Try to use as many different dealers as possible - and cull the ones who try to pressure you into something. You have received lots of great advice - now the hard part - execution.

As for the  salesman spending "many"  hours - BS. It takes a few minutes to scan the entire GM system -  you can do the same - go to the GMC website (or Ford, or Ram) and you to can find what fits your criteria.

Good Hunting.

Alternator went out in the Kia or I would be on my way to look at a F150 with towing package. It just turned 80,000 miles - he said this was road miles as he travels back and forth from Guyton, Ga. to Atlanta for work.  He said it tows up to 11,000 lbs.  He wants $31,500 for it.  That is all the info I have and will go look at it when the Kia is repaired.   Oh, this is not from a dealer, but from someone a good friend of mine goes to church with.  I forgot to ask what year it was, but he said he has pulled his 32' camper with it and had no problems..

Alternator went out in the Kia or I would be on my way to look at a F150 with towing package. It just turned 80,000 miles – he said this was road miles as he travels back and forth from Guyton, Ga. to Atlanta for work. He said it tows up to 11,000 lbs. He wants $31,500 for it. That is all the info I have and will go look at it when the Kia is repaired. Oh, this is not from a dealer, but from someone a good friend of mine goes to church with. I forgot to ask what year it was, but he said he has pulled his 32′ camper with it and had no problems..

Nan, try to find out how many of those 80K miles were towing. A 32 ft trailer is a heavy load, maybe as much as 10,000 pounds, and that is a lot of stress on any light duty truck. If he has maintenance records showing all the servicing, along with extra fluid changes for the transmission and axles, that is a big plus. A transferable extended warranty is a BIG plus. Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,  I was at the repair shop with the Kia when you last wrote. He sent me some pictures of the F150 on my phone and if I knew how to send them to you, I would.  But I don't.  Anyway in the conversation with him this morning he said he had towed his camper with it 4 times and it towed beautifully.  He said it was a 2015 Lariat and he was the only owner. I will ask him about the paperwork and the extended warranty when I talk to him. He said nothing was wrong with the truck and I have a gut feeling I can believe him. Thanks for trying to help me.

Nan

You may not remember meeting us at the Rally.  We have the 2019 Oliver Elite II, Clam Outdoor tent, large black Labrador "puppy", and live in the Jacksonville, FL, area.   Anyway, I have decided to upgrade to the 2020 model GMC 2500HD Duramax when they come out in the fall 2019.  Camping beside KountryKamper at the Rally and admiring his new GMC 2500HD Duramax with matching truck cap convinced me to make the upgrade.  So, my metallic gray, 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited, 5.7L, 4WD, Double Cab, matching truck topper will be for sale this fall when the 2020 GMCs come out.  This truck currently has 62K miles and been serviced exclusively at the Keith Pierson Toyota dealer according to the recommended maintenance schedule.  I purchased this truck in March 2015 from Keith Pierson Toyota and have all service/maintenance records.  The dealer provided a lifetime powertrain warranty (that is why I so carefully adhered to  the recommended maintenance schedule and serviced at the dealer), but unfortunately I do not believe it is transferrable.  I also purchased the "same-as-new" detailing package which provides dealership detailing every 6-months (I enjoy riding in a clean truck but working full-time little desire to detail it myself).  Also, purchased 20-inch Michelin tires July 2018 at 46K miles (they have a 70K warranty).  In 2018, I added a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Trailer Brake Controller ($145) in preparation for the Oliver electric brakes (my research suggested this to be a top notch electric brake controller).  The Kelly Blue Book value for this vehicle is $30K.  Knowing this truck to be in exceptional condition, I do not want to trade with the GMC dealer - this is the quality used vehicle you would want to sell as a favor, not deliver to auction.  We added a LEER topper (Model 180) in July 2018, with carpeted bed liner, pet screen sliding windows, and height 8-inches above the height of the cab.  This LEER cap was around $2K and is not included in the Kelly Blue Book $30K value.      However, it is a half-ton truck, but perfectly capable of towing the Elite II (we have towed our 2019 Oliver about 2000 miles with this Tundra - mostly flat interstate between FL and TN).  I intend to sell in the fall, for $30K.  I only mention in case you are not in a rush and would be satisfied with a half-ton Toyota truck.  I hesitated to put this on the forum because I am not ready to sell this truck, but, it will be a great deal for someone satisfied with a half-ton and not in a rush to purchase. Give careful consideration to the type truck you will need and do not consider this truck unless you are certain you will be satisfied with a half-ton truck pulling your Ollie.  After all, I am upgrading to a 3/4 ton and others seem to upgrade from half-ton to 3/4 ton too.  There are definitely pros and cons in doing so.  I will have little trouble selling this truck in the fall to someone in need of a good truck. If you are interested in looking at this truck, send me a PM and we can schedule a day.  However, this truck is not for sale until fall 2019 after the 2020 GMC trucks are available.

• Thanks 1

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

That 2020 GMC is nice - a few new upgrades over the 2019 - the tailgate is one I wish I had...… if it weren't for the $$$ I would trade for a 2020 - but I like being married, and haven't won the  lottery - yet. Your Toyota sounds nice, will make someone a great truck.

RB

Ken, I am very interested in your truck.  I do not know how to e-mail you personally.  My cell number is   nine one tw0    five zero seven   four six three five.  Thanks for thinking about me.

Nan Wallace

Ok, everyone.  I am going to buy Ken's truck and I finally put a down payment on the Oliver II yesterday.   I want to thank everyone for all of your advice over the last few months.  This is a big step for me.  Nan Wallace

• Thanks 1

Hi Nan,  We met at the Rally and had a chance to chat. We won't pick up our Ollie until Sept. Congratulations on making your decisions and ordering the trailer. It sure can be long, stressful process!  When do you pick up the Ollie.     Paula

David Caswell and Paula Saltmarsh

Hull 509 "The Swallow"

Paula, I am not in line yet, but Anita said maybe in October or December.  I cannot buy Ken's truck until he gets his new one, so even if the Oliver is ready to be picked up I will not be able to get it.  This is very stressful for me since I have never even driven a pickup truck, much less pulled anything behind one.  But, almost everyone at the Rally said I could learn..I am counting on that!