F-150 EB 3.5 versus Ram 1500 or 2500

GraniteStaters

Welcome to the Family.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

You are so right.  I have never driven any truck and that includes a Tundra. So, I am not in the production line up for an Oliver yet.  I think if I can get the truck this fall and the Oliver closer to December I will have time to get used to the truck.  And you are so right about driving in Tennessee with a trailer.  Maybe I should have not even thought about owning an Oliver.  But, at my age I am throwing caution to the wind.  I do not intend to sit here in my very comfortable house until I go home to Jesus.   I met the owner of the truck at the Rally a few weeks ago and I believe he is selling me a really good truck.  Considering I am driving a 2007 Kia Sportage with 318,000 miles on it, most anything would look good to me.  LOL   I tried the car dealer route and got sick of that very quickly. So, when Ken Richardson offered me his truck I felt like that was the answer I was looking for.

Nan

This Tundra is a pleasure to drive and a truck is so very convenient, even without an Oliver.  My wife (Karren) is a Master Gardener and steals my truck to haul her plants and gear in the back. We added a LEER topper, with carpet and sliding pet screen windows for our dog (he loves jumping into the back and going for a ride).  I am certain you will be just fine in this Tundra and likely wonder how you ever got along without a truck in your life.  This truck is in excellent health - everything dealer serviced and well kept (I have all the service records).  Not a bit of trouble.

As for towing an Oliver with this truck, we do just fine, but, I have decided to upgrade to a 3/4 ton (have never owned a 3/4 diesel and want to upgrade muscle to see how I like it).  I have been warned of the downsides of the 3/4 ton diesel - the ride will "stiffer", the truck is bigger and more to handle, and diesel is higher maintenance and more costly.  But like you, in this stage of my life I feel like taking a plunge.

I am certain you are quite capable of towing an Oliver.  For me, it was a little intimidating at first, but, take your time with everything and do not get in a rush.  My kids tell me I am a slow old man when I drive, but I like it that way.  No reason to rush.  When towing the Oliver, I usually press the Tundra "Tow Mode"  button and set my cruise control on 60 mpg.  I like interstate travel because for me it is easier.  I do use the Andersen weight distribution system and highly recommend you do so with this truck.  In my opinion (and there are many opinions about this),  any half-ton truck should use this system when towing the Oliver.  Once I upgrade to the 3/4 ton truck I will evaluate the need, but, will likely continue to use the Andersen (it really is not any trouble once you get used to it).

This forum is excellent for assisting you with your new adventure.  If you should decide to go with a 3/4 ton, no worries about the Tundra - I will have no trouble selling it (this truck is an excellent bargain for the quality and the price).  Do not feel obligated to purchase this truck - I only offered because I know it is a great used truck and you were searching.  Please give careful consideration to the payload issue.  Any half-ton, and in particular a Tundra, has a limit to the payload it will carry.  The GVWR for my Tundra is rated at 7100lbs.  The GVWR for the OliverII is 7000lbs.  Attached is a spec sheet for the Tundra in case others on the forum want to provide thoughts regarding this truck towing an Oliver.    For me, the 3/4 ton eliminates worries about payload and mountain towing so I can carry all my wonderful stuff and not think twice about payload.  With the Tundra, although  it will tow just fine, you do need to think about payload.

IMG_0393.thumb.jpg.546130e2835aefe669c3fcc2c677fe53.jpg

[attachment file=2015 Tundra Truck Specs.pdf]

2015-Tundra-Truck-Specs.pdf

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

For some reason, I cannot save PDF to the forum so can be opened.  Attached are pictures of the PDF for 2015 Tundra specs.  Possibly someone can advise me how to save a PDF to the forum?

Ken

[attachment file=2015 Tundra spec pg1.JPG]

[attachment file=2015 Tundra spec pg2.JPG]

[attachment file=2015 Tundra spec pg3.JPG]

[attachment file=2015 Tundra spec pg4.JPG]

[attachment file=2015 Tundra spec pg5.JPG]

2015-Tundra-spec-pg1.jpg.thumb.jpg.a8d86bbb7af5dbf66330dda5c929fa00.jpg

2015-Tundra-spec-pg2.jpg.thumb.jpg.c581cd2ff2be1bd2164c9d64130b7dea.jpg

2015-Tundra-spec-pg3.jpg.thumb.jpg.3819aa20f6c2d1e398a34100c762c22e.jpg

2015-Tundra-spec-pg4.jpg.thumb.jpg.4a05421c92f5245b6d9106c2073d4763.jpg

2015-Tundra-spec-pg5.jpg.thumb.jpg.f1c1f6cc8bce28404dc5e8801491e61d.jpg

KWR

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

One more truck picture of the Tundra towing our 24ft boat.  For me, the Oliver is easier to tow than the boat (although both are easy).  According to the onboard computer system, we get around 10 to 11 mpg towing either (surprisingly, the Oliver weighs more but gets slightly better fuel economy).  Normally, we get around 16 mpg around town without towing anything (Toyota is not the best half-ton fuel economy, but, I have always replied if worried about fuel economy get a Prius).

My apologies for sideways picture.  Since taking this picture I have learned with Apple iPhone X you must hold the phone horizontal (not vertical) when taking picture else the inserted picture on this forum will be sideways.  I have not figured out how to rotate it for the forum, but I have learned to take pictures holding the iPhone horizontal.

[attachment file=Truck with boat.jpg]

Truck-with-boat.thumb.jpg.eea7742c2b5be55be410d46e7c8cb88a.jpg

KWR

Ken, please help me read this last sheet that you highlighted.   It says the GCWR is 16,000 lbs.  According to what I understand the GCWR means Gross Combined Weight Rating or Maximum weight of the tow vehicle, the towed object and all passengers and cargo inside each.  So, wouldn't that mean all would be good?  Remember, I know nothing so need to have everything explained to me.

Nan, Yes, GCWR means Gross Combination Weight Rating. I found this post on the Escape forum to be very helpful about the weight terms.

For some reason, I cannot save PDF to the forum so can be opened.

Ken, In order to make a pdf file (or a docx or a xlsx file) able to be opened by others, you need to do two steps. First, you need to click the Select File button, identify the file, and upload it. If you do just that, then the file will not be accessible to forum users. After uploading the file, you need to click on the Insert Into Content button, to the right of the Select File button. This puts your attachment into the body of your message, and, more importantly, makes it available for other Forum users to see or to download.

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Nan

I interpret the same as you.   The GCWR of 16,000 lbs. certainly seems adequate.  If the Oliver and the Tundra are each loaded to their respective GVWR (7100lbs + 7000lbs = 14,100lbs) this is still less than the GCWR of 16,000lbs.  HOWEVER, there are folks on this forum much more capable than me for interpreting this Tundra spec sheet and providing opinion - others, please offer your knowledge on this subject.

Originally, as I struggled with understanding payload considerations, I built the attached Excel spreadsheet.  My apologies for the layout (I realize it is confusing).   In general, any yellow-shaded cell requires an entry and the blue cells have formulas, and the orange cells provide results.  You are able to test various payload weights and the Excel sheet will determine if the weights are within limits.

[attachment file=2015 Tundra Towing calcs rev06-02-2019.xlsx]

2015-Tundra-Towing-calcs-rev06-02-2019.xlsx

KWR

the link within the body of the text opens the MS Excel sheet fine for me.  I am barely able to maneuver with Windows, someone else will need to help with recommendations using Mac to open an Excel file.  In my experience, Microsoft and Apple don't play well together.

Not sure you are missing very much not being able to access my Excel sheet.  I believe there are on-line calculation tools for determining payloads.  I built the sheet simply for me to play around with payloads to determine the effect on towing.  Attached is a picture of the sheet using my payloads.

[attachment file=Tundra Payload Calculations.JPG]

Tundra-Payload-Calculations.jpg.thumb.jpg.5b129ae2e839aa59cafe4a50da73b1b6.jpg

KWR

KWR, does your truck have the tow package (4.30 axles)?

For getting the pictures oriented and cropped and so on, just open the picture on your iPhone or iPad, then click Edit in the upper right corner. That opens up your editing menu. The way to reclock a wonky image is to click the second icon down, the box with arrows. That will cycle the image 90 degrees each time until it is right side up. You can crop it also at the same time by dragging in the “frame” to where you want it... there are other buttons for adjusting the color and contrast, redeye etc. - if you screw up you can click Revert and it goes back to the original image. FYI you cannot edit pics on the forum, you must do it on your device, before uploading them. .... https://iphonephotographyschool.com/how-to-edit-photos-on-iphone/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My Tundra does have the Tow package with 4.30 axles (attached details for my particular Tundra).

[attachment file=2015 Toyota Tundra Limited - KWR specs.jpg]

KWR

sorry, here is the attached record I got from the dealer.

[attachment file=2015 Toyota Tundra Limited - KWR specs.jpg]

2015-Toyota-Tundra-Limited-KWR-specs1.thumb.jpg.08591d9bd0e39c2a86bd1da59d00cf70.jpg

KWR

On page 2 of the document (not attached) it states the Towing Capacity with tow package and standard size gas tank is 9900lbs, which represents my Tundra.  With a stated Towing Capacity of 9900lbs, the GCWR of 16,000lbs, and the GVWR of 7100lbs, it is confusing to know which number is the most meaningful?

KWR

Nan , Ken's Tundra looks like a great truck fo you. The Leer canopy is a high quality fiberglass unit and is attractive when color matched like this one - I had one on my last truck. It provides secure storage and improves highway mileage. The overall truck specs are great, the tow package is a huge plus (the axle ratios are 4.30 which gives more power), you will enjoy the Limited trim interior and seats, the only thing we don't know is if it has the standard gas tank or the big one. Probably the former, in which case you will be stopping more often to refuel in mountainous terrain. On an Alaska or Yukon trip it could be a worry, and you might have to bring an extra 10 gallons in cans. (Changing the small tank for the bigger one sourced from a scrapyard would be possible, I think, for not too much money.)

However I don't believe you ever told us how much your animals weigh and how much personal stuff you plan to bring along. As with any light duty truck, weight is always going to be your primary and constant concern. If you want to bring a bike, generator, normal camping stuff and a small generator, it will be no worries. You can't pack this truck with six adults and their luggage and still have enough leftover capacity for the trailer load.....  for a solo traveller that is a non-issue. But I would caution you to keep the trailer tongue as light as possible - do NOT order the tongue cargo tray. A rear rack for a bike is fine and actually lightens the front significantly. Your enemy in this situation is weight in the bed and weight on the hitch.... keep them light.

Have you thought about how to carry your dogs? In my Ram 3500 I removed the rear seats completely, that frees up over 100 pounds of payload. I built an elevated wood platform with hidden storage under the hinged plywood. I used a Pet Loader (folding steps) to get my two 40 pound Labradoodles in and out, it is way too high for them to jump and it is awkward to lift them that high. A cargo net separated them from the front seats so they were secure. A pet hammock and door guards kept the interior claw and drool free.

Dog_Platform-023.jpg.thumb.jpg.1c80805e232a7f4290dedc36e9fcd805.jpg

Dog_Platform-047.jpg.thumb.jpg.bb59115990d8d1711f1d03c3e886bf4a.jpg

But there was lots of drool on the glass...

Dog_Platform-041.jpg.thumb.jpg.1ad9c2157d7e82fd4c08082ba4b39cb3.jpg

I have a bunch of pics, if anyone is interested I will start a new thread about it. Here is the Raingler high quality net that fits the Tundra:  ... https://raingler.com/collections/toyota-truck-heavy-duty-cargo-netting/products/2007-newer-toyota-tundra-access-cab-and-crewman-barrier-divider-rfeb

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,  thank you so much for the information and the pictures.  I would like to see all of the pictures you have.

My dogs weigh 45 and 55#s so about 100# in all.  I weight about 120# so with the dogs about 220# all totaled.  That would be it unless once in a while a grandson wanted to go, but two of them are boys with pickups and the other one drives a 25 year old BMW that he is very proud of because he paid for it himself (he is 16 years old).

Very interested in your platform and rig to keep them out of the front seat.  I have fashioned something similar in the Kia.  I also will be looking at the ramp you use because I cannot pick the dogs up and put them in the truck. I used to have a folding ramp that was a PITA to use for loading my Greyhounds and when they died I threw it away.

Removing the seats is a very good idea because I never haul anyone in the back of the old Kia..I just lay the seats down.

I do not own any stuff like a canoe, dirt bike or for that matter a regular bike or much of anything else.  I would probably carry a generator, light weight (PVC pipe) dog beds, dog food, small grill and a lawn chair.

Thank you so much for all of the information and for agreeing that Ken's truck looks like it will do the job.  I was confused about the three numbers that he was posting, but you said it would work if I was careful about the weight.  Nan