Storage Box for the TV

nrvale0

1 hour ago, Susan Huff said:

Is this a Kitty Litter tray?

I don't know if it is a kitty litter tray, although we do have cats. I can measure the tray if you want the dimensions. 

• Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I'll finally contribute to my own thread. Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

I don't have much to add except perhaps re the closet. I was on my way down to LA to spend some time with a buddy with a 3D printer and a wood shop when govt lockdowns started. The plan was to prototype some free-standing shelves for the closet. So that project is on hold for the time being.

In the meantime, I picked up some hanging shelves from Amazon. They stunk and ripped out after a matter of weeks. I kept the cloth drawers and ordered a different set of hanging shelves with metal loops and that has worked well for clothes storage. What you can't see is that there's plenty of space behind them and back there I have vacuum bags full of out-of-season clothes, a small steam cleaner for the upholstery, and other odds-and-ends. It's a pain to get behind the hanging shelves -- basically have to remove one -- but then that's why I store infrequently used stuff back there.

The baskets are just dollar store finds and I find they keep cleaning supplies etc from moving around while on the road. I also put up a command strip hook on the left-hand side and that's where I hang shower stuff once its dry. Similar command strip hooks in the bathroom for cleaning brushes etc.

Generally I prefer copious use of command strips to suction cups. Even the command strips need fairly regular "encouragement" to stay put.

I think Oliver is leaving money on the table by not coming up with a modular closet organizer and a better solution for attaching baskets and stuff to the walls.

This year I'm planning to replace the decorative back splash I put up behind the range with a large sheet of magnet-capable stainless steel. Maybe one sheet of solid stainless for using various magnetic spice containers and knife holders and another section with some sort of pegboard-like holes for hanging shelves etc.

20200714_084754.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Overland said:

I'll be interested to see the backsplash.  This is where I got the stainless sheet for the inside of my pantry door, and I thought the price was reasonable for a custom cut piece - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTVVN81/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if you mean in the current incarnation but attached a pic. Nothing fancy...some 3M product basically. May never ever ever come off of there though. 😉 I've been joking that I'm just going to lay the stainless over top of it instead of spending hours with a heat gun and plastic scraper.

At the time I just wanted to break up some of the white.

20200714_103738.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, DavidS said:

[attachment file=IMG_3313 rotate.jpg]

GrumbleandTwist put an Ikea bag under the front dinette seat. I wanted something with a solid bottom and sides, as we wanted to carry our pressure cooker in this storage area. So I measured the space and again searched at Amazon and the Container Store. The problem was that bins large enough to use the space effectively are too big to fit through the opening. And then I had an inspiration.

Have you ever seen InstaCrates, these collapsible storage bins? We got them at Costco for $7 each, and they are available at Amazon and Walmart for $12-14. We use them when organizing for our trip (foods or clothes), and to carry stuff out to the trailer. At the end of the trailer trip, we bring a bunch of collapsed InstaCrates out to the trailer and use them to carry stuff into the house. We love them.

crate1.jpeg.24ae5f63e47b57c0685be24b65c55a5a.jpeg

Well, I discovered that the collapsed InstaCrate will fit through the opening into the storage area under the dinette seat, and then I can open it up when it is inside the storage compartment. It works well for our needs.

IMG_3322.thumb.jpg.82e7815d7a6afe93707657384c2dc8f8.jpg

I picked up three of the Insta-crates the last time I shopped at Costco.  Going to use them to pack things for our delivery trip.  I'm wondering about the storage below the dinette seat . . . .  what is in that area?  Anything that could be damaged by cargo shifting during transport?  I have thought, if we don't need the space for other things, this would be a great place to stash some extra cushions.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 3/17/2019 at 3:42 AM, topgun2 said:

G & T -

Here is another idea for you:

I've got two of these that I use to store little items in.  They fit very nicely in the cubbies.  I did glue strips of 3/8" thick foam on the bottoms so that the lower drawer would clear the lip of the storage area.  They measure:

7" wide

7 1/8" tall

8 1/4" deep - including the little pull handles on each drawer

P1020170.thumb.jpg.39896642ec8b6d3b1d07897c8c9f1624.jpg

P1020171.thumb.jpg.527465501adae324a126ac7a3b58f637.jpg

P1020172.thumb.jpg.c17eab8d132790cb13a76fb461ac8bc1.jpg

Will one of these fit in the bathroom overhead cabinet?

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I don't remember the size of the bath cubbie off the top of my head, but, even if they fit it would not be useful.

When the door to that space is opened, there is room for storage to the right of the door.  With these storage units in there you would not be able to access that space without taking them out.  And, obviously, if you slide these to the right, you would not be able to open the drawers.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 3/18/2019 at 2:23 AM, nellybly said:

Wonderful storage solutions. My question is, as full-timers, where are all your clothes and shoes?

I plan to use collapsible storage cubes.  We used these in our camper van - one in each cabinet at the foot of the twin beds.  They worked out well.  For the Oliver we'll put them in the bottom of the closet for storing shoes.  Here they will be out of the way and handy for coming in or going outside.  I purchased these from Sierra Trading Post a long while ago.  They're 12"w x 12" l x 9"h and made of canvas, heavier than most of the collapsible fabric bins - Neat Freak brand.

We're using the two of these in the bottom of the closet for our shoes.

21. Under bed cabinet.jpg

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

18 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I don't remember the size of the bath cubbie off the top of my head, but, even if they fit it would not be useful.

When the door to that space is opened, there is room for storage to the right of the door.  With these storage units in there you would not be able to access that space without taking them out.  And, obviously, if you slide these to the right, you would not be able to open the drawers.

Bill

Good to know . . . . . thanks.  I have been wondering if there is space to the right of the cabinet opening for storing less used things - perhaps extra bath towels.

Ray and Susan Huff

On 9/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, mossemi said:

While technically not cubbies, I did find these little silicone pockets extremely handy on our recent family reunion trip.  They stayed in place for 14 days, nearly 3000 miles, 1 COE, 1 NP, 7 SP campgrounds and held a variety of odds and ends.

They weren’t cheap at $10 a piece on close out at Bed Bath & Beyond, so I bought one and went home to try it out.  I liked it so much that I went back and bought the other 5.  So we have 4 white ones in the cabin area and 2 grey ones in the bath.  And then I stumbled across a different brand at Kohl’s that holds a beer can and we used it for a bottle of water in the bath to rinse after brushing our teeth.

Mike

0596B455-2691-462E-8BB5-43AB33DA0780.thumb.jpeg.c55b7cb0580677c441e0b5088ca0d744.jpeg

3AB927C9-0DB6-496B-B72E-6353EF830044.thumb.jpeg.d07402bd048662e4b9d4fff96bf1a9fe.jpeg

Are these still working out for you?  I'm looking at them on Amazon and want to be sure before spending $18 each for the pockets.

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

9 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Not too sure about bath towels - I keep three extra rolls of tp in that space.

Bill

That's a good use for it; I hadn't thought about TP storage.  Does it stay dry there? 😀

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Are these still working out for you?  I'm looking at them on Amazon and want to be sure before spending $18 each for the pockets.

Yes they are still in use and yes I still love them.  Think of a silicone hot pad or oven mitt, they are nearly indestructible.  We have 4 of the one in the picture and I see a different one called the Frank that is a little larger than ours and have a 10 lb. rating.  And they are returnable if you don’t like them.

Mossey

5BDB4F98-51B2-4D1B-AE74-E4558C02BCFF.thumb.jpeg.32161bb599810c257077b9c8ebf3cda1.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 hour ago, mossemi said:

Yes they are still in use and yes I still love them.  Think of a silicone hot pad or oven mitt, they are nearly indestructible.  We have 4 of the one in the picture and I see a different one called the Frank that is a little larger than ours and have a 10 lb. rating.  And they are returnable if you don’t like them.

Mossey

5BDB4F98-51B2-4D1B-AE74-E4558C02BCFF.thumb.jpeg.32161bb599810c257077b9c8ebf3cda1.jpeg

I ordered two of these - one for each of us.  Also, the toothbrush holder, soap dish, and two of the little hooks, to hang wash cloths on.  I can think of many uses in other locations in the trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators
19 hours ago, mossemi said:

Mossey

An affordable Aussie camping product. I wish I'd snapped up some of the bb&b closeouts.

The two brothers from Queensland  who invented the line are interviewed in this video, focused mostly on the "shower beer" holder.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Interestingly enough, the shower mirror is named the "Oliver."

Screenshot_20201031-171150_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

An affordable Aussie camping product. I wish I'd snapped up some of the bb&b closeouts.

The two brothers from Queensland  who invented the line are interviewed in this video, focused mostly on the "shower beer" holder.

This is very cool . . . . . thanks for sharing.  Now we need the beer holder!

• Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

I can vouch for the shower beer can holder, but it isn’t a Toolsie product.  It is labeled Sudski and it was the first silicone wall product I bought.  I found it on sale at Kohl’s and I had a coupon as well.  I think it was about $6.

Mossey

CAAEEC4D-B925-4E36-9D1D-63A4AE9343FB.thumb.jpeg.0a987ba2a29a405f89ed66fea5931538.jpeg

Edited by mossemi
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nrvale0 said:

I'm just happy that a thread I started has eventually evolved to the topic of Shower Beers. 😉

Epic thread. Thread of the Year now because of “Shower Beers,” I think. Some day, somehow, someone will search “shower” and “beer” and find this thread and be all, “Whoa. Awesome forum.” 

• Haha 2

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators
5 hours ago, nrvale0 said:

I'm just happy that a thread I started has eventually evolved to the topic of Shower Beers. 😉

I’m just here to help in any way possible. 🙄

Mossey

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Kinda of tangential to this thread but now that I've been FT for 1.5ish years and had some time to experiment...

Attaching shelves and similar to the walls... You can see the dollar store baskets I've been using for shelves above. I've tried a couple of things to attach them to the walls with no real luck until(!) now. I've been through suction cups, industrial suction, cups, command strips, industrial velco, and a combo of velcro and command strips without much luck. Temperature cycling in the winter really seems to do a job on the suction cups and if you go anywhere bouncy then the velco + command strips option eventually fails as well. The area that has been hardest is above the sink + stove where there's lots of moisture and temp changes. 

A possible solution? Yes: "Nano Tape". It appears as though Nano Tape may just be a trademark name for a particular type of clear, double-sided, directional tape. Aka: 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Nano+Tape&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

and in particular, the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=EZlifego&ref=bl_dp_s_web_0

There are some YT videos of this stuff with mixed reviews so let me tell you what I did. It appears surface prep is pretty important.

1. I roughed up the plastic on anything that I needed to attach to walls with a piece of fine grit sandpaper.

2. Cleaned and dried both the plastic basket/shelf and the wall with generic "windex".

3. Mounted the shelf. Press firmly!

4. Left it in place 24 hours before "loading" it up with the usual contents.

So far both I've loaded the baskets up with sizeable salt and pepper shakers, spices, keys, pocket knives, cell phones etc to the point where I thought sure it would come off the wall the next time I pulled but everything has been holding up. No spills yet and it has been 2-3 months for the stuff above the sink.

Edited by nrvale0
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 2:01 PM, mossemi said:

0596B455-2691-462E-8BB5-43AB33DA0780.thumb.jpeg.c55b7cb0580677c441e0b5088ca0d744.jpeg

I ordered two of these: one is in the bathroom for toothpaste, etc. The other at the foot of my bed for my cell phone.  Also got the toothbrush holder, the set of two hooks - one by control panel by the door for keys, and the soap dish that is on the wall above the bathroom mirror where it is out of the way.  Love these Tooletries - especially how easy they are to relocate.  If they weren't so expensive I'd probably have more.

Also attached is the paper towel holder.  I've attached it with command strips until I decide the location is right.

P1540391.JPG

P1540392.JPG

P1540393.JPG

P1540395.JPG

P1540394.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff