Truma Instant water heater

Corcomi

Well folks, here is a story that i hope you all learn.... I watched the winterization video on the Oliver University probably 5 times to make sure

that i understood the instructions. I proceeded to follow them to the T. But there was a very small step  that the  video didn't mention; that is that on the Truma Instant water heater when you pull down the yellow tab to drain the water completely and inspect the water filter, YOU MUST NOT PUT THE FILTER BACK IN... you need to keep it out for the winter. By  the way the Truma manual which you must access on the Oliver University website, step 5 on winterizing the water heater does mention that.  But who reads all the manuals on every component in the rig... right?

So this week when i took out the Ollie to go to my first outing, when i tried to start the instant hot water, i got water coming out of the  unit.

Called Oliver and they promptly got me a Truma dealer 3 hours away from my home base. After explaining to the tech what was happening without hesitation he asked "Did you remove the filter when you winterized?" Of course not i said. Well you have a broken water line that cannot be repaired and you need a NEW WATER HEATER. He states that this is very common that people dont take out the filter and the pipes expand or whatever...  Mind you this is an authorized TRUMA repair RV facility.  So if you want we can order you a new one and of course it is not covered by warranty and we need a down payment of 1200.00 dollars, plus installation separately Remember that they were listed when i bought the unit at 1299.00.

Morale of the story.... trust but verify....

• Thanks 3

Thank you for sharing this hard lesson learned.  I purchased the Truma (pickup in April 2019).  Living in FL, I need to ask if winterizing is necessary in FL?  We rarely get below freezing for any extended period of time.  When I pickup in April, I intend to ask Oliver about the trigger needed to winterize the unit.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

I've been putting the filter back in also.  I'd read the manual but didn't catch either where it said to leave it out.  No damage, so maybe I've just been lucky.  One thing I noticed after a short overnight freeze is that even though I thought I'd let the unit drain for a while, there was still a good bit of water in the filter area when I opened it up again the next morning.  In fact, the next morning the filter was encased in a block of ice.  After that, I discovered that there's a secret stash of water in the unit that will only come out if you open the relief valve while draining it.  Now that I've been doing that I haven't noticed any water in the filter area the next day.  I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the real culprit, since I can't see Truma's tolerances being so tight that just having the filter in there would cause something to break.  I mean, it's just a mesh basket after all.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing this hard lesson learned. I purchased the Truma (pickup in April 2019). Living in FL, I need to ask if winterizing is necessary in FL? We rarely get below freezing for any extended period of time. When I pickup in April, I intend to ask Oliver about the trigger needed to winterize the unit.

If we're not using the trailer, and it hasn't been fully winterized, I'll at least drain the water heater if it's going to dip below zero, even if it's only a bit below.  I won't do all the valve swapping, but I'll drain the unit.  If we're using it, then the unit has an eco mode that is supposed to keep it from freezing.

Hold on - I just looked at the manual and mine doesn't say anything about leaving the filter out.  Nor do I see it in the manual that's on Oliver University.  It looks like it's only on the winterization flyer that's on Ollie U., and the instruction there was even obviously added later in a different font.  (Not that I received that flyer with my trailer.)

Seems like you might have an argument to make there.

Overland, you are right. The “manual” on the University page Only has 4 and 9 steps in winterizing the Truma water heater.  But there is another separate instruction on the University website that is called “ winterizing the truma water heater “. That version has the added step that says to not put the filter back in. see pictures

8E463E30-D2B3-474B-9C5C-081FC2E6600D.thumb.png.de7c9e5912c9860c456ef8f0fa4d19be.png

I can’t post the screen shots but if you o to the Oliver University page you can what I’m talking about. It looks as somebody added the last step in the “winterizing “ version but it’s not in the “oficial “ manual. Since I was not given physical manuals when I got my Oliver because I was told they where all online, now I have an issue which is : which manual is the right one.....

What’s telling, apart from the different font, is that flyer is dated 2015. My manual and the one on Ollie U are both dated 2016, so you have to assume that those supersede that flyer. At some point someone thought that instruction needed to be added but the info either never made the rounds at Truma or they decided in the end not to add it

It’s a weird situation.  Some clarification from Truma is needed.  Regardless, I don’t know what real chance you have but at least you have a good argument to get the unit replaced under warranty.

All that aside, it’s not a big deal to leave the filter out so regardless of the manual discrepancy that’s what we should all do just to be safe.  I hate that you’ve run into this issue but I’m glad that you’ve made us all aware.

I really like having all the manuals online, but personally I don’t think that’s a substitute for having a physical one. I’m sure it’s a pain for Oliver to keep track of all the manuals during construction but I also hate to think that they’re all being tossed in the trash. I got manuals for most but not all of my components, and also a few manuals for things that aren’t on my trailer.  I definitely didn’t get that separate winterization flyer from Truma.

I am sorry for your pain, I would try very hard to get Oliver Trailers to replace this at no charge. I do not think this is your fault. You should fill out a new online service request and also call the shop and explain the vague and conflicting instructions.

There should be a Service Bulletin!!!!! There should be a very prominent warning placard at the outside of the heater. There should also be a Winter Plug of some sort - a dust shield that will prevent winter gunk from contaminating the open tank, but will also let any moisture pass by. An old-lint free microfiber rag would be adequate.

OTH I think owners of the plain vanilla water heaters should also learn a lesson,,, leave the anode rod out over the winter. Usually there will be no worries, but if you are using the trailer's fresh water system and one of your winterization valve leaks internally, you can get water into the tank that might freeze.

The very high cost of the Truma has always bothered me a lot - that and that they do not recommend using RV antifreeze inside the unit, or compressed air.. A new Suburban tank type one is only $350 and is super easy to replace. How much labor did they quote you for yours?

Good luck and keep us updated.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Corcomi, I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

First, is your Truma still in warranty? See my post about my Truma repair, and the extended warranty.

I would fight them if they claim that your warranty is void because you did not remove the filter when you winterized.

But who reads all the manuals on every component in the rig… right?

I do, at least when it is relevant. Before winterizing, I did read the friggin manual, and as Overland pointed out, the Instruction Manual we were provided did NOT say to remove the filter. So you did follow their instructions. This is the Instruction Manual that Truma provided to Oliver, and that Oliver provided to us. If their instructions were incorrect, then they screwed up. This is from the Instruction Manual:

[attachment file=Truma Instructions.png]

I don’t know where that Truma document on Oliver University came from. When I google the title of the document (AG_Maintenance_and_Winterization Truma) or the first sentence of the document, my only hit is at Oliver University. When I go to the Truma US website and search for Winterization, I only find this page, which states "Step 4: Truma recommends storing the filter cartridge separately while the system is winterized."

[attachment file=Truma Web site.png]

Notice the language? Recommends. Not You Must.

I called Truma when my AquaGo had problems. Again, see my post here. Once they found out I was under warranty they suggested shipping a new unit, and having a local service person install it. I didn’t like the sound of that plan, as it is reflective of our throw-away society. I would rather try to repair something before replacing it. So instead, I had the local service person open up the unit and try to fix it. If it could not be repaired, then Truma would send me a new unit, and I might be liable for the cost of the service tech's time on the repair attempt. But he was able to repair it.

I am telling you all of this because of the amount of time it took for the repair, and how the guy you talked to on the phone may look at the situation. It took time to remove the AquaGo, to open up the unit, to repair it, and to reinstall it. Opening up the unit took the most time, repairing it took the least time. It would have taken much less service time to simply replace the unit.

Called Oliver and they promptly got me a Truma dealer 3 hours away from my home base. After explaining to the tech what was happening without hesitation he asked “Did you remove the filter when you winterized?” Of course not i said. Well you have a broken water line that cannot be repaired and you need a NEW WATER HEATER. He states that this is very common that people dont take out the filter and the pipes expand or whatever…  Mind you this is an authorized TRUMA repair RV facility.

I am sorry, but I don't trust this guy. It sounds to me that he does not want to bother trying to repair it, but would rather just install a new one. Probably gets a sizable commission on the sale of the new unit, too. I would talk to Truma headquarters, or a different service rep.

I have winterized my trailer three times without removing the filter, and for two of the winterizations I have not had “a broken water line that cannot be repaired.” (I don't know about this past winter, as I will be taking Ollie out of storage soon for a trip to Moab.) It sounds like Overland’s experience is similar, and if you have Hull 275 you have probably winterized at least once without this problem. Probably others on the forum, as well.

Good luck with it!

Truma-Instructions.png.f027bef42496d69c300243c3a55522f7.png

Truma-Web-site.png.959a9cf31993c224ffe9814dfe48f897.png

• Thanks 5

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

I don't have a dog in the hunt, as our water heater is a Girard, but I also found the info David S. found, plus the (also) 11/18 winterizing video from Truma.

What I do remember from a few years ago, when we were looking for an instantaneous water heater, was the Truma claim of simple winterization. Pull the lever... and done.

I poked around today, as I feel really bad for Corcomi. I found two videos on the Truma site, still talking about just draining... nothing about removing filter.

The kolbe segment. Start watching at 10:30

Screenshot_20190311-201402_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d0da6db74001764e0f62dd185eee7903.jpg

And. The zagami segment

20190311_133122.thumb.jpg.22c4e4bc244420836395502b2e8478c1.jpg

I also found this, still on the website:

Screenshot_20190311-101529_Chrome1.thumb.jpg.1a6820449eb2df6bd982bdb0872f7d37.jpg

And this

Screenshot_20190311-202656_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5c7070f3b265c4f67dfbb4998bdeae06.jpg

Screenshot_20190311-101529_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f94e23bf685eb4044b5c90503591c16f.jpg

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I woke up in the middle of the night and went to YouTube to see if there were any videos on winterizing the Truma hot water heater and as SeaDawg mentions in his comments I found the Truma video wand it doesn’t mention anything about removing and storing the filter during winterizing. It just states to clean the wire mesh and check the o rings. So I went back to the fricking manual on the University website to now read about the warranty. Well it states that the unit is guaranteed for one year, BUT if in a two month period from purchase if you register the unit you get an extra one year.  So guess what? I didn’t register it because I remember that when I took delivery on the Ollie in Nov of 2018 , I had asked where were my manuals on the different components. And I was told that they didn’t provide them because they were all posted online. Then I asked , well how do I fill out the warranty cards and I was told that Oliver would take care of all warranty work that was under warranty, so there was no need to register. So yes I would have guessed that if my water heater brok in the 6th month of taking delivery Oliver would be able to tell Truma the date of delivery to calculate the 12 month period, but what about the extended warranty????/?/?/?/.

If the water heater was registered it would be covered. If not ? I’ll have to ask Oliver

• Moderators

Corcomi, fwiw, I've never had a manufacturer give me a hard time about parts and warranty labor, and I have never filled in a warranty card for any if the equipment. Norcold, Dometic, Alterra, Fantastic, among others, simply asked for proof of the date the rv went into service. Including the second year from Norcold, Alterra, and Dometic. Some were parts only, but went beyond the one year that Oliver wraps. Truma could be different, but I would doubt it.

I think the cards are more for people who buy assemblies as replacements. Even then, a receipt has been enough...in my experience.

Hang in there. Most of these manufacturers really do care about their reputation and goodwill in the marketplace.

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I promised an update on my Truma Instant hot water heater. First I want to acknowledge that Jason was instrumental in helping me get this issue resolved. Without his involvement i probably would still be fighting windmills.

First, Oliver does I’m fact fill out the paperwork for the extended one more year of warranty so it’s covered for two years  I only had mine at the time 14 month and thought I was out of warranty.

‘I explained to Jason that on the Truma official YouTube there was an video that explained the proper winterizing procedure and in fact it was explained by a Truma engineer. It said nothing about removing the filter and in fact the video has the engineer putting the filter back in. I also mentioned that their manual doesn’t say that you need to remove the filter or else the warranty is voided. It recommends that it should be removed. So with these facts Jason contacted Truma and the response that they gave was that because the video was outdated but it was on their YouTube channel they would honor the warranty and replace the unit with a new one.

So I went to the authorized Truma dealer with my claim number to make sure he was aware that Truma was picking up the cost and installation. He couldn’t believe me and stated that he had replaces 4 units with the same issue and that Truma had not honored the warranty due to improper winterizing. A call to Truma confirmed to them that they were in fact picking up the cost.

The morale of the story is that if you have as issue, read the manual watch the videos and then fight for your claim. And also it’s good to have Jason to help along the way. If I had just accepted the word from the Truma dealer, which I don’t doubt he was working on his knowledge from Truma, I would have paid over 1200.00 dollars for the repairs

One last word.... You do need to remove the filter for winterizing the unit. Maybe Truma will remove the outdated video and put one up that explains it better.

• Thanks 2

Corcomi, fwiw, I’ve never had a manufacturer give me a hard time about parts and warranty labor, and I have never filled in a warranty card for any if the equipment. Norcold, Dometic, Alterra, Fantastic, among others, simply asked for proof of the date the rv went into service. Including the second year from Norcold, Alterra, and Dometic. Some were parts only, but went beyond the one year that Oliver wraps. Truma could be different, but I would doubt it.

I think the cards are more for people who buy assemblies as replacements. Even then, a receipt has been enough…in my experience.

Hang in there. Most of these manufacturers really do care about their reputation and goodwill in the marketplace.

A win for the good-guys!

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

That's great news!  Good for you for sticking to your guns - what's right is right and you were certainly right on this one.  Also, once again, it is nice to hear that the folks (Jason this time) at Oliver will do everything in their power to help owners with everything associated with an Oliver.  Finally, it is nice to see that Truma did what was right too.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 5 months later...

Truma updated their website and they are starting to post how to's...using an Oliver as their model.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-27-at-1_36.37-PM.thumb.png.dbc7484418abf97e29061c3c1a100aee.png

Here's the youtube link:

My 2019 Instructions are still the "corrected" version....

Is the final story now set? I wait to see if Truma posts an updated winterization video.

• Thanks 6

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg