Blown Furnace Fuse after "burning" smell

Bauhausluv

Earlier today I smelled a "burning heat smell".  Like when you first turn your heat on in your house and it smells like something burning off.  This happens when the heat hasn't been on in a while.  Thing is, we have been running our heat all winter and it hasn't been off.  I thought this was weird.  Left the trailer and forgot about it.  Then we noticed it was getting cold in here tonight.  I looked at the thermostat and it wouldn't come on at all.  So we checked the fuse and it was blown.  We carry a box of spares for every size amp after the composting toilet fan debacle.  We replaced the furnace fuse and the thermostat came back on.  We have heat.  But I briefly smelled the burning off smell again.  Any connection between the smell and the fuse blowing?? Anyone else have an issue with this?  Thanks!

Any connection between the smell and the fuse blowing?

Impossible to say, but you'd surely think so.  I think if it were mine I'd want to at least open it up and take a look.  I'm guessing that if the fuse blew that the problem would most likely be fan related, but I'm no expert.  Possible that something got sucked in and jammed the fan?  If it were me, I'd be uncomfortable using it until I knew for sure.  Especially at night, and certainly not while I was away from the trailer.

Any connection between the smell and the fuse blowing??

I wager there is a connection!

Without looking at the schematic for direction,  I'd look at fan motor leads, and then at any control wiring that was visible. Something melted somewhere, the fuses blew, thus removed the current. Overland has a point, I'd be checking it out before using the system much more.

Just guessing, the fan is largest current draw, then anything else in the control circuitry. Of course it could be separate from the furnace itself, could be in the wiring feeding the unit. I'd also be checking all the access points, cubby holes, etc.,  for damaged or burnt wiring. The smell should get you close. Take a look at the manual's circuit diagrams, they should help with locating and such.

The fuse blew because something went wrong. The fact that a new fuse is holding indicates whatever it was - cleared. Doesn't mean all is ok.

Let us know what you find.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I checked the data in my manual. Schematics weren't real helpful.  I assume it was a 7.5 amp fuse you replaced. If there was nothing evident in the furnace internals, I would do a real good visual, from the Progressive unit back to the Furnace. Something happened.

RB

• 2 weeks later...

WellWellWell,

Seems MY furnace will not work !   Its supposed to be a light freeze tonight, so  I figured I'd run the furnace to keep it warm. Mind you the thing worked fine two days ago. It cycles the fan, but not heat, and shuts off. If I reset the thermostat, it repeats same actions. Yea I have gas on, all other appliances work ok on gas. Fuses are good - no tstat if blown.

Any idea????

So I move the Ollie and plug it in, run the heat strip to keep it warm. Still no worki on the gas Dometic. Darn Darn Darn. I'll call Jason in the AM see what he says.

A miffed RB.

Do a HARD RESET

Unplug the fuse for the lights in the area where the thermostat is. Unplug the fuse for the heater.   Watch to see if the light in the thermostat goes off.  Leave it off for a few minutes. Then,   Rest the fuse for both, turn on the furnace.  Make sure the light in the thermostat comes on.   The thermostat is on the same circuit as the lights.

Good luck

• Moderators
WellWellWell,

So I move the Ollie and plug it in, run the heat strip to keep it warm. Still no worki on the gas Dometic. Darn Darn Darn. I’ll call Jason in the AM see what he says.

A miffed RB.

When you say Dometic, do you mean the fridge will also not run on gas?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.