Air compressor for the Oliver tires

Yukon

I just noticed the high PSI needed for the Oliver tires, my battery start” combination air unit does not cut it. What are you guys operating with? thank Yukon.

Just FYI from reading other threads;  The actual running pressures for the trailer tires according to many current owners is around 45-50 PSI.  Not the ridiculous maximum pressure listed on the tires.  Didn't know if you were aware of that.  I wasn't until some folks discussed it.  Makes purchasing a compressor a little less complicated (at least for the trailer itself).

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I recommend you entirely read the Forum thread "HOW TO: Tire Pressure Placard"

For my Elite II, I am running 60 PSI with a tire pressure monitoring system as suggested by John D and Raspy.

Everyone knows that we must check tire pressures when they are cold.

I have also found that even after a night of rest, a few hours with one side in the sun can make a big difference in what you will see when you check them sun to shade.  I have seen as much as 5 psi difference of those in the sun vs. those in the shade.

Finally, as suggested by MANY Ollie owners, I too believe that having a TPMS is essential.

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

I just had my Oliver II  professionally weighed at the FMCA rv convention in Perry , Georgia. According to the trailer weight loaded for travel which in my case is with empty gray and black tanks the ideal tire pressure should be 50 psi. The Michelin tire rep at the convention also confirmed that as a good number.

• Thanks 2

I use a small compressor by Senco found at lowes. It’s small lightweight has a 1gal tank nice carry handle. I think it has 150psi max pressure don’t quote me on that. It’s used for nail guns works great for tire inflation. It will run to keep up with filling tires with low pressure but does the job. Cost around $150. There are many options out there for compressors small also look at off road  portable they also have compressed air tanks that hold 3500 psi but getting them refill is a pain. Lot of options good luck.

I looked it up its 125psi max and now at Home Depot for $129

DCE5B518-B5E5-4204-A22B-B0066D1A7931.thumb.jpeg.2391c6e4dcf6758e21438af1dc3e0898.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Curious: while talking about air compressors and tires.  Can someone tell me whether the tires on the Ollie has metal or rubber tire stems?  This is asked relative to which TPMS system I purchase.  EEZ for instance has some monitors specific to metal valve stems and other more attuned to the rubber ones.  We haven't picked up our trailer yet so that's why I'm asking.  Thanks

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

They all have rubber stems.  In my discussions with the tech guy at EEZ he told me that metal stems were not necessary for use with their transmitters.  However, I intend to replace my rubber stems with metal ones AND have the tires re-balanced at the same time when I get the new TPMS.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Use rubber stems if the TPMS guy said they are OK. I like them and specifically choose them on my trucky vehicles where possible for resistance to impact damage. If you never tow on rougher unpaved roads (like the completely unmaintained tracks to those cool primitive spots along a forest road) you can use steel ....  but keep in mind they are way more vulnerable to bashing into something hard.

It really depends on how long the stems are and the added extension of the transmitter - how far out they extend past the rim. The ones on my Land Cruiser are steel OEM so in this particular application they do fine, but they are fairly deeply recessed and also protected by oversized tires.

OTH rubber ones can be sliced by a kid trying out his brand new Buck knife..... everything is a tradeoff.

If you want the look of steel, specify rubber stems with chrome covers if they are available. They still will flex a little. But replacing all five plus balancing will probably cost you $75+. Is the extra cost worth it just for stems? Probably not, but you do need to at least get them balanced. To the best of my knowledge they still come unbalanced from the factory. Which is stupid.... and a whole different thread.

For the truly anal...

[attachment file=164355]

0912F79A-42A9-4EE3-8C21-C638FD5468E6.jpeg.13b6817760e70320e91f2634bddb6cf3.jpeg

https://store.bleepinjeep.com/product/colby_valve/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

This is not just me being wierd, this time. Rubber valve stems can be replaced by a mechanically competent Ollie owner in a couple of minutes sitting beside the road.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/rubber-vs-metal-valve-stems.92386/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

As I see it, there are basically two issues regarding these stems (not counting the kid with the buck knife who just as well might "key" your vehicles).  For most of us who do not venture into the great beyond issues regarding the stem being hit, cut, torn, etc. are usually not relevant, however, for those odd occasions the peace of mind that they might bring could certainly be worth that $60 to $75.  The "mass" that is at the end of the stem coupled with the vibration caused by that mass and the potential wear on the rubber of the stem is more of the problem.  Having said this, I've been told that there can be some problems with metal stems sealing to tire rims (particularly rims that are not steel) and, of course, there are the potential issues surrounding corrosion with metal stems.

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I’ve been told that there can be some problems with metal stems sealing to tire rims (particularly rims that are not steel) and, of course, there are the potential issues surrounding corrosion with metal stems.

Bill, I don't think the sealing to the hole is really any different than a solid rubber one... a steel stem has a rubber grommet that fills the hole. The nut can come loose which could cause a leak, but it can be easily snugged up from the outside.

32HF09_AW01.jpeg.bdf17d93e88a55566aebba23886174a9.jpeg

I suspect most leaky stems are due to nasty corroded wheels. Those same wheels also usually have problems holding air when the bead area is pitted. When they get that bad they should be scrapped.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

Did my pre delivery for 431 yesterday (3/21/19) and asked about the 80 psi in the tires. the response I got was that was what the tire / rim supplier delivered them with. Guess that would be for maximum weight in the trailer. I asked them to bleed them down to 60 lbs as I didn't want the trailer "bouncing" along I 40 and I81 for 800 miles!

• Thanks 2

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

Use rubber stems if the TPMS guy said they are OK. I like them and specifically choose them on my trucky vehicles where possible for resistance to impact damage. If you never tow on rougher unpaved roads (like the completely unmaintained tracks to those cool primitive spots along a forest road) you can use steel …. but keep in mind they are way more vulnerable to bashing into something hard.

It really depends on how long the stems are and the added extension of the transmitter – how far out they extend past the rim. The ones on my Land Cruiser are steel OEM so in this particular application they do fine, but they are fairly deeply recessed and also protected by oversized tires.

OTH rubber ones can be sliced by a kid trying out his brand new Buck knife….. everything is a tradeoff.

If you want the look of steel, specify rubber stems with chrome covers if they are available. They still will flex a little. But replacing all five plus balancing will probably cost you $75+. Is the extra cost worth it just for stems? Probably not, but you do need to at least get them balanced. To the best of my knowledge they still come unbalanced from the factory. Which is stupid…. and a whole different thread.

For the truly anal…

0912F79A-42A9-4EE3-8C21-C638FD5468E6

https://store.bleepinjeep.com/product/colby_valve/

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,  Thanks for the info on the Colby valves.  These are pretty cool and could be a life saver.

I contacted the manufacturer and they advised that the Colby valves are not compatible with TPMS but they can be used to fix a tire to get you home.  They also advised that the valves can be re-used.  This would be a nice thing to keep a few of in the toolbox in all my vehicles.  You come up with some pretty unique findings.

• Thanks 1

Viair 450P-RV I also use it to winterize and inflate our paddle boards

At $450 it must be really good!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

The Viairs are really well built compressors, and are designed to run long periods without over heating.  Hence the higher price - worth it to some, not to others.  Definitely not worth it if you plan to run over it with your truck a year after buying it like I did.

• Moderators

Overland - Nice move.

Please tell me that alcohol was involved (that way you probably didn't care as much at the time).

Bill

• Thanks 2

• Moderator+

That sounds suspiciously like what happens to a camera bag with multiple Nikon bodies and lenses left sitting on the driveway as you are about to leave for a big trip.

[attachment file=Steve-000 - Img_1483.jpg]

Steve-000-Img_1483.thumb.jpg.c9062cb53d99a24a7398bee33a5cb182.jpg

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Oh, Steve, and Overland, what a way to start a trip...

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That sounds suspiciously like what happens to a camera bag with multiple Nikon bodies and lenses left sitting on the driveway as you are about to leave for a big trip.

Awwww Sh#t

OK,  New item for my departure check list:  "Look under trailer and TV for anything I don't want to crush."