Pepe Le Pew -- What to do

SeaDawg

• Moderators

Our neighbor in Piney Campground, Land between the Lakes, warned us about the skunks that had been visiting their campsite the past few days. As we're used to camping in sites with bear precautions, we don't leave trash or food outside.... but that didn't keep little Pepe le Pew from visiting us after dusk. We were quite startled when we looked down and saw the skunk gliding along the ground not twelve inches from our toes. We sat very still and silent till he moved further down toward the lake.

At the dump station the next day, we met some really nice Casita owners whose dog had not been so silent, and was rewarded with a not so charming odor. Poor baby... he got it bad.

If Pepe is known to visit your camp, you may want to keep the dogs inside from dusk to dawn as much as possible, and just leave Pepe alone and sit still and quiet if he wanders thru. Resist the urge to reach for the camera, and let him go by. Spraying is actually a last resort for a skunk... it can take him a week or more to produce enough oil and chemicals to spray again and protect himself. skunk6.jpg Not my photo.... but very much like the pretty little skunk who visited us twice at LbL.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Hey Sherry, got any home remedies for if your dog gets sprayed ? Ol Dillon grabbed one when he was younger, before he retired. He never wanted to grab one again ! He lives at home now. He was eighteen months old when we first certified as a team. He rode with me for eight and a half years. Here is a link to his web page:

http://www.geocities.com/dillonspage/

That picture of him sitting on Santa's lap to tell him what he wanted for CHRISTmas, always reminds me of the large sigh of relief that very nervous Santa gave when he got down ! :lol:

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

On the farm, our solution was a big can of tomato juice as shampoo. Now, there are more modern solutions:

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-o ... -smell.htm

Most dogs only chase the pretty Pepe once!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hey Mountainborn,

I know you asked Sherry but I can give you first hand knowledge about what to do! I was in the pasture about 30 feet away from the skunk who happened to be strolling thru. Unfortunately for me - I was downwind from this little critter. Guess what! Wind carries skunk spray and I unwillingly tried the skunk perfume. I immediately went and took a tomato soup, ketchup bath. It helped somewhat. Actually, this was the second one I had to take. The first one happened after a little one got in to the elementary school. I had fun catching baby skunks, armadillos, rabbits, etc. when I was younger so I was not afraid to see if I could catch this little one. Nobody at the elementary knew what to do. Even the poor policeman. I asked for a broomstick and a box. The skunk was behind the door so I used the broomstick to make it move and then put the box on top. When I got back to my office, my fellow workers wouldn't let me stay. They said I smelled like a SKUNK! Gee thanks I told them. I didn't get sprayed. The whole elementary school had to close for the rest of the day because the skunk had sprayed while inside. Anyway, long story short - that was my first experience with a tomato bath. I can vouch that it does work somewhat. jam49

I also have a kodak picture of me holding a baby skunk I caught when I was a camp counselor and a bunch of kids were around. We had to remove the skunk from the presence of the kids so guess who did this! This was long before digital so I have no way of uploading the picture. J

We have had very good results with commercial spray odor neutralizer from the pet store. It worked beautifully on our dog (who was very proud of having chased that skunk out of our yard, despite the smell). Hmmm, me thinks perhaps I should be putting a can of that stuff into the trailer.

Bill