Ladder suggestions to carry in my truck.

hobo

STAND DOWN:  I JUST FOUND A PREVIOUS THREAD ON THIS.  UNLESS SOMEONE HAS SOMETHING TO ADD>  THANKS

I want to be able to address issues up-top while on the road if needed and therefore need a ladder of some nature.

I am thinking a collapsible ladder of some type.  Any suggests, thought or recommendations relative to this subject?

Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

Just to say I remain a HUGE fan of the Werner convertible ladders. If you will be on the road a lot and have room in the bed of the truck this is a great choice. I quit carrying mine when I switched from a pickup to an SUV. I replaced it with a less bulky cheap telescoping ladder in the closet. There is no comparison in quality, features and most importantly stability. I continue to use and enjoy the Werner around the house.

You wouldn’t regret this one..... https://us.wernerco.com/products/ladders/multi-ladders/MTIAASeries/MTIAA-13

The box stores have them on sale for 20% off every now and then. Home Depot has it now for $115.

If you decide to remove that pesky water seal under the awning, you can lash the extended ladder to the awning cover with rope, with a towel for padding, and it makes for a rock solid roof access. No more nagging worries about going up top and hearing your ladder fall over .... ! When used as a step ladder, the blue plastic knobs protect the side of the trailer from scratches.

John Davies

Spokane WA

449F8F04-E7FE-4940-8A17-05B519B08B5E.thumb.jpeg.1d5bc5c14f74e3a35f5ec92f8799f724.jpeg

AD4A61EC-1A2B-4CAE-834D-A367957087B9.thumb.jpeg.7cb7d819a94d5f64372ac710815f77d6.jpeg

FCC04EB2-559D-4B3C-BA5E-A6A677FD875A.thumb.jpeg.9906f32910c40853862c86de840e638a.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

I have to agree, that's a nice ladder.  Since I have a truck, it just might be the way to go.

Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I replaced it with a less bulky cheap telescoping ladder in the closet.

I know this probably isn't what you meant, but if someone is going to get a telescoping ladder like many of us have, it's not something you'd want to cheap out on.  What you're getting with a telescoping ladder is compactness rather than a bargain; and since the price of failure is rather high, absolutely buy the best quality one you can find.

I went with the taller 12.5' Telesteps model for added rigidity, and also got the 300lb rated model.  I'm happy with it - it weighs an extra 5 lbs over the 10' 250 lb model, but it barely deflects at all when I'm on it and feels very solid, so I think it's worth it.  I wrapped some foam around the rungs that I don't use, which both protects the trailer and tells me where to start extending it.  And of course like all the telescoping ladders, it takes up the awkward space in the back of the closet pretty efficiently.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I replaced it with a less bulky cheap telescoping ladder in the closet.

I know this probably isn’t what you meant, but if someone is going to get a telescoping ladder like many of us have, it’s not something you’d want to cheap out on. What you’re getting with a telescoping ladder is compactness rather than a bargain; and since the price of failure is rather high, absolutely buy the best quality one you can find.

Well, by cheap I meant my telescoping ladder isn’t super expensive and it is sturdy enough for occasional use for a normal sized adult, no worries. I and many people are just uncomfortable blowing several hundred bucks on a tool like the Telesteps. Plus I bet the Werner is more stable at one third the price. Here is the one in the closet...  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099V3HYC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I disagree about buying the very best, sometimes good enough is fine if you are careful and keep an eye on it.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

No thanks, the one star reviews on that ladder are pretty searing.

As a wise man once said:

You can cut corners on quality with lots of stuff, but a ladder is a critical safety item. Do not buy no-name junk!

One fall from six feet off the ground can maim you for life or worse. It is simply not worth the risk.

;)

Well, by cheap I meant my telescoping ladder isn’t super expensive and it is sturdy enough for occasional use for a normal sized adult, no worries. I and many people are just uncomfortable blowing several hundred bucks on a tool like the Telesteps. Plus I bet the Werner is more stable at one third the price. Here is the one in the closet… https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099V3HYC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I disagree about buying the very best, sometimes good enough is fine if you are careful and keep an eye on it.

John Davies

I have to disagree again John. Being a contractor one of the most common accidents reported to OSHA are ladder accidents. Over my many years in the trade I have seen lots of serious ladder accidents many that were caused by cheap or overloaded ladders. I have a friend that fell 2' off the second step and shattered his foot and leg. One of my employees fell 20' on a extention ladder collapse and is disabled for life. Ladders are not the place I would suggest saving money. It only takes one time and you could be crippled for life.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

My cheap telescopic ladder needs a crowbar to extend some of the rungs. One day I was cleaning the solar panels and the rung was not locked into place. I dropped like a rock and tore off the porch light. Funny thing is I checked or so I thought I did ensure it was locked... Wrong!

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I got this one.  Good reviews.  I use it when washing and roof maintenance, and it rides in the truck bed when we travel.  I cut a couple sections of pool noodles that fit around the top where it rests against the trailer.  It has a few one star reviews that say it is unsafe but I have never had an issue after lots of use.  Sometimes there’s an operator error.  Mike

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XTBXTXG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My cheap telescopic ladder needs a crowbar to extend some of the rungs. One day I was cleaning the solar panels and the rung was not locked into place. I dropped like a rock and tore off the porch light. Funny thing is I checked or so I thought I did ensure it was locked… Wrong!

Yikes.  I think no matter how good of one you buy, you can't get complacent with these telescoping ladders.

• Thanks 1

@Tom and Cheryl:

I vote with you on the Telesteps ladder.  I am 250 pounds dressed out, and very much appreciate the attributes of the OSHA compliant Telesteps 1400E Telescoping Extension Ladder.  This past summer I used it to build lean-to walls that were 48' long by 12' high.  This project along with washing and waxing Ollie for over three months worked out very well.  The project put me up and down this ladder many dozens of times a day for weeks on end so I know it has excellent durability.

Beyond being well made, this Telesteps has three good attributes:

It fits nicely into the back of the large storage cabinet at the entry door.

As ladders tend to walk off some times, not having it in my truck is a distinct advantage.

At 18 pounds vs. the Yesker's 26 pounds, it takes less of a toll on your back if moving it a lot.

It performs well and I would buy it again should it become necessary.  However if you are over 250 pounds, I would suggest John D's Yesker as it is rated for 300 pounds.

• Thanks 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Full disclosure: I have the Telesteps and have never hesitated to recommend it. I would also recommend the Xtend and climb

This video is entertaining and informative.

As to that Yesker ladder, one of the things I do when shopping on Amazon is to search by manufacturer name, products by Yesker include USB charging cables, iPhone cases, glass bottles with eye droppers, fingernail scrub brushes, pineapple corers, ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, waterproof fitness trackers... While I don't hesitate to purchase Dexter authorized bearings that may be made in China, there are some products I would stay away from.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

We had a very similar conversation in this thread a few years ago.  Interesting to see that the discount ladder that started off that discussion doesn't look like it's made anymore, though the page could have just moved.  I'm sure these companies make millions on Amazon importing random no-name goods from China and putting a name on them.  Then if something goes wrong, or you get too many bad reviews, just close the company and start a new one selling the same stuff under a different name.  It looks like Telesteps and Xtend & Climb are the two brands that have stuck around.

Thanks for the video - I'd say that of the two, the Xtend & Climb looks like the better deal.  Though I don't know how the Xtend & Climb is differently designed, I'm not surprised that the initial rung broke more easily on the Telesteps - if you read the 'bad' reviews for it, that gets the most complaints.

FAB7711B-F0E8-43EE-A0DB-E5BAAEFD08AE.thumb.jpeg.618097d8b824cb6bee0836316f90bbd6.jpeg

It rides nicely in the closet with room for two camp chairs bungeed against it. It has been used exactly twice in two years, it worked acceptably. I inspected it very closely when I received it and there is nothing at all wrong with its construction or design. It feels sturdy enough in use.

OTH I do NOT recommend this ladder. I recommend the Werner convertible instead. Any ladder will kill you. But I carry this one. I weigh 160 lbs and I am very cautious when using it....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

• 11 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, John E Davies said:

Just to say I remain a HUGE fan of the Werner convertible ladders. If you will be on the road a lot and have room in the bed of the truck this is a great choice. I quit carrying mine when I switched from a pickup to an SUV. I replaced it with a less bulky cheap telescoping ladder in the closet. There is no comparison in quality, features and most importantly stability. I continue to use and enjoy the Werner around the house.

You wouldn’t regret this one..... https://us.wernerco.com/products/ladders/multi-ladders/MTIAASeries/MTIAA-13

The box stores have them on sale for 20% off every now and then. Home Depot has it now for $115.

If you decide to remove that pesky water seal under the awning, you can lash the extended ladder to the awning cover with rope, with a towel for padding, and it makes for a rock solid roof access. No more nagging worries about going up top and hearing your ladder fall over .... ! When used as a step ladder, the blue plastic knobs protect the side of the trailer from scratches.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John,

Great review with photos! Werner makes very nice high quality ladders.
Looks like Home Depot carries it locally. 
David

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, John E Davies said:

You wouldn’t regret this one..... https://us.wernerco.com/products/ladders/multi-ladders/MTIAASeries/MTIAA-13  The box stores have them on sale for 20% off every now and then. Home Depot has it now for $115.

John Davies

Spokane WA

FCC04EB2-559D-4B3C-BA5E-A6A677FD875A.thumb.jpeg.9906f32910c40853862c86de840e638a.jpeg

Thanks for your solid review John. I ordered this Werner ladder and it will travel in the bed of our Tundra. I could not find a telescopic ladder that I felt like could trust and be comfortable on. Werner it is.

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Great commercial !

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Perhaps you could store it under/behind your Murphy bed?

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

All jokes aside, this Murphy looks like a really interesting ladder to carry.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.