Refrigerator/ freezer/ outside air thermometer recommendation please

I used this setup for two seasons

Accurtite.png.30e811c829d395d62047ede3bb485c1b.png

... https://smile.amazon.com/AcuRite-00986A2-Refrigerator-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wireless+thermometer+rv&qid=1554232015&s=home-garden&sr=1-3

The display died completely and I was never impressed with the way it worked. One problem is that if a sensor fails, or its batteries go dead, the display shows the last measurement and there is no indication that the  sensor is not working.

Any recommendation for a reliable system? I would like to have two additional waterproof outside sensors, one under the doghouse, one under the rear spare tire.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

I have been using the same system for eight years with no issues.  My receiver goes to a blank readings when the battery dies.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I got mine working. It required new batteries plus a full reset using a paper clip. I will continue to use this for the fridge/freezer. But I still want a unit that will show outside temps with waterproof sensors. I would be OK with a separate display unit, I really like to look of this LaCross but ....

“weather resistant from light moisture. Recommend placing transmitting sensor approximately 8 inches below under eave or overhang protected from consistent rain”.

That sounds like it is pretty much wide open.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9160U-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B001DNIIOS/?tag=ybdiotherm-20

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hi John, this is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FX8ZGOO/

4176KTuChqL.jpg.b149128dbfd068c56035f7bbf02bf93a.jpg

We installed it the night we picked up the trailer and it provided solid service all season.  We used lithium batteries (for better performance in the cold) and the base station batteries have just died within the last month (~9 months of life) but the sensors are still going.  I used the 3M Command picture hanging "velcro" style strips (https://www.amazon.com/Command-Picture-Hanging-Strips-White/dp/B01N0X6SA5/)  to attach them where I want them: on the fresh water tank, in the refrigerator, and outside on the curbside lower hull just behind the steps.  I used these so that the units can be easily removed for battery changes.  I also added another velcro strip on the interior wall to the left of the entry door, to store the outside sensor while we're driving or when the trailer is in storage.

However!  As it turns out I am not perfect and sometimes forget to bring in the outdoor sensor.  It has remained attached to the outdoor command strip for hours of driving though rain at highway speeds through Tennessee, and over 400 miles through New Mexico including high winds and a dust storm.  And the thing just keeps on working as if nothing happened.   I am impressed that A) the Command strip didn't fail and result in us losing the sensor, and B) that the water-tightness was good enough to prevent ingress of wind-driven rain.  I'm sure the mounting location has something to do with that success, but still.

I tested accuracy of the units after purchasing them, but I think they may have drifted over time, or don't track linearly at low temps.  When on our way home from CA after New Years, we hit 15 degrees overnight in New Mexico but the outdoor thermometer reported a low of 21.  Still, I think they're useful.

The display can talk to a total of 8 sensors, if I recall, though it can only display 4 at a time.  I am pretty sure you can set it up so that it will flip over to displaying the 5th-8th sensors every 10 seconds or something like that.  Also the base station has its own thermometer and that's what it displays as "IN" at the bottom of the screen.

Edit to add: I really wanted to get one of the ones that does graphing, with a color LCD etc, but those units are made to be table-top not wall-mounted (the back is not flat), and require a constant external DC connection.  In the end this one is fine and I'm happy with it.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I'm basically using the same thing as Rumline except I've only got two outside sensors - have not had a bit of problem.  That humidity reading for both the inside and outside comes in very handy.  I also use that same fridge unit that JD has and have had no problems.  New batteries in everything at the start of each season.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
I got mine working. It required new batteries plus a full reset using a paper clip. I will continue to use this for the fridge/freezer. But I still want a unit that will show outside temps with waterproof sensors. I would be OK with a separate display unit, I really like to look of this LaCross but ….

“weather resistant from light moisture. Recommend placing transmitting sensor approximately 8 inches below under eave or overhang protected from consistent rain”.

That sounds like it is pretty much wide open.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-WS-9160U-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B001DNIIOS/?tag=ybdiotherm-20

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

We had a LaCrosse sensor under the propane cover for 10 years with no problem from moisture.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

@John D:  If you like the sensor, could you put the sensor in a freezer zip lock bag and tape it to the underside of the trailer.      The zip lock will not effect its temperature readings and would keep it dry.

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@john D: If you like the sensor, could you put the sensor in a freezer zip lock bag and tape it to the underside of the trailer. The zip lock will not effect its temperature readings and would keep it dry.

Thanks, that is a possibility. Another is a plastic watertight container for a phone, like you would take white water rafting... the box could be permanently mounted to the frame or inside the rear bumper area with high strength 3m tape, just pop the latches to access the transmitter to change batteries. Something like this... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07KQ5MP2M/ref=twister_B07NDMGDYF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, it costs more than a freezer bag, but OTH it is very cool.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I also have the same one as John.  It works well enough, but like John, I can't say I'm really crazy about it.  I'm considering just using a wired thermometer instead, and then if I want to do remote monitoring of other locations, get one of the Ambient Weather models like recommended above.

I like this thermometer from ThermoWorks, since it shows max and min temps at a glance.  Not crazy about the price though.  This one is more reasonable.

• Moderators

Certainly the one nice thing about the Acurite is that it can be set up to give you an audible alarm when the temps in either the freezer or the fridge exceed set limits.  This feature saved my bacon (so to speak) on one occasion.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Rumline, great review from Cooks on the Thermoworks. Looks like a good solution.

I like that it tracks the time the fridge is out of accepted temperature range. I may add that to the home freezers before hurricane season... along with the penny frozen to the top of a water container...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I have a fridge/freezer thermometer set like yours in my fridge and love how it works. However, I purchased a second set to keep tabs on the areas under the beds. They all worked great for a few days then all of the readings went weird. I found out that they were cross talking at random because of their close proximity to each other. I kept the ones in the fridge but purchased a sensor brand called SensorPush for under the beds and outside under the propane cover. The sensors are only about an inch and a quarter square by five eights thick. The batteries last for about a year and information is read by my smartphone by way of Bluetooth. They record both temperature and humidity and the information is in graph form along a time line with dates.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

I hate looking at this forum - just last trip Cindy commented on the fact we needed a remote temp for outside - and Walla!- you folks provide.  How much more am I going spend, Jeesh .      ;-)

Ambient Weather WS-10 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8-Channel Thermo-Hygrometer with Three Remote Sensors   -  is on the way per the big A.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I kept the ones in the fridge but purchased a sensor brand called SensorPush for under the beds and outside under the propane cover. The sensors are only about an inch and a quarter square by five eights thick. The batteries last for about a year and information is read by my smartphone by way of Bluetooth. They record both temperature and humidity and the information is in graph form along a time line with dates.

I saw those when I did my shopping last year.  Real slick little units.  But at $50 for each sensor it was a bit too much to swallow at the time.  Still, I like the data logging capability, and an app is much easier to check from bed in the morning or outside the trailer than an LCD on a bulkhead with limited viewing angle.

How do you like them?  Is the app reliable at reading temps?  Like from the time you open the app, does it acquire the sensors pretty quickly?  How well does it handle displaying multiple sensors?

I'm curious about your outside sensor location.  Do you feel that having it under the propane cover gives you a fairly accurate measure of outdoor air temp?

• Thanks 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

I'm curious what you guys are gaining by knowing the temperature at various spots around the trailer.  I originally had temp sensors on my list of things to do eventually, but later dropped it, since it's not like if an alarm goes off at 3am I'm going to jump out of bed and winterize the trailer.  If it's cold at night, we just set the furnace at a low temp and try not to worry about it.

A few weeks ago I snuck them back on the list thinking that I might do some fiddling around with the heat ducts and thought some sensors would tell me if my fiddling was productive, but other than that I still don't see the benefit.  Of course, my wife will stand outside and still pull up the weather on her phone to see if it's cold.

I kept the ones in the fridge but purchased a sensor brand called SensorPush for under the beds and outside under the propane cover. The sensors are only about an inch and a quarter square by five eights thick. The batteries last for about a year and information is read by my smartphone by way of Bluetooth. They record both temperature and humidity and the information is in graph form along a time line with dates.

I saw those when I did my shopping last year. Real slick little units. But at $50 for each sensor it was a bit too much to swallow at the time. Still, I like the data logging capability, and an app is much easier to check from bed in the morning or outside the trailer than an LCD on a bulkhead with limited viewing angle.

How do you like them? Is the app reliable at reading temps? Like from the time you open the app, does it acquire the sensors pretty quickly? How well does it handle displaying multiple sensors?

I’m curious about your outside sensor location. Do you feel that having it under the propane cover gives you a fairly accurate measure of outdoor air temp?

I'm a confirmed Ollieholic. These threads are killing me too

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderator+
I hate looking at this forum – just last trip Cindy commented on the fact we needed a remote temp for outside – and Walla!- you folks provide. How much more am I going spend, Jeesh . ?

Ambient Weather WS-10 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8-Channel Thermo-Hygrometer with Three Remote Sensors – is on the way per the big A.

RB

This is an excellent choice. I put this system in with all 8 channels used. I even monitor the temperature of the water heater. I replaced the 120V  power supply with USB cord.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I saw those when I did my shopping last year. Real slick little units. But at $50 for each sensor it was a bit too much to swallow at the time. Still, I like the data logging capability, and an app is much easier to check from bed in the morning or outside the trailer than an LCD on a bulkhead with limited viewing angle.

How do you like them? Is the app reliable at reading temps? Like from the time you open the app, does it acquire the sensors pretty quickly? How well does it handle displaying multiple sensors?

I’m curious about your outside sensor location. Do you feel that having it under the propane cover gives you a fairly accurate measure of outdoor air temp?

I've had a few of these for quite a while, they have worked flawlessly. Originally I got them to keep an eye on the fridge/freezer temps, then played with them moving around to different locations. The tracking is the best part, I can leave them somewhere for a month or so and then just check too see what the conditions do over that time period, without having to check them all the time to see and track live data. My Oliver sits on the edge of my driveway and sitting in my kitchen or living room I can open the app and it updates just fine.

If you aren't looking to compare multiple locations at the same time you wouldn't need more than one, as you can track a location for a week and then just move it.

Having one is with the cost, just to satisfy whatever curiosity you may have about any given location for whatever period of time you'd like.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

We have one of the Sensorpush also. I like the alarming and logging functions of it. It will alarm my phone as long as the battery is good while driving if something goes wrong with the fridge like me turning it off by accident at our last stop. It is blue tooth so distance is limited but will usually reach to the truck or anywhere in the campsite.

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

I have three of the SensorPush sensors. We have the two twin beds so I have one under each bed. One just below the water pump down low next to the fresh water tank. The other sensor under the other bed just below the outside shower assembly. The third one hangs on one of the propane hoses under the front cowling. This appears to provide accurate information. The graph ability records trends and stores the information for I think 21 days if my phone is too far away to connect.

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax