Auto Drain Option

JohnZ3

Hi,

Can someone please explain the proper operation and use of this option? Should the valve be kept OPEN or CLOSED? I just got my trailer out of winter storage after bringing it home from Hohenwald in November. I was going over all of the systems to insure that everything works. I also looked at the owners manual and found parts diagrams, but no instructions for its use. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John Z., Hull#405, '18 F150 EB

John & Eileen

2018 F150 EB Super Crew FX4

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #405

John,

It is my understanding it should be closed during travel so the contents of the grey tank does not slosh up into the shower pan through the floor drain and open when in use.

Andrew

• Thanks 3

Andrew

2019 Legacy Elite II  2018 BMW x5 35d 

• Moderators

Andrew is correct.  Closed when traveling/storing.  Open when using.  If it is closed when water is going down the drain to the gray tank it will start to back up through the shower floor drain.  You can guess how I know....   Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you Mike (and Andrew), that is exactly what I experienced, however I was fortunate enough to be just using fresh water. That's how we learn. John

John & Eileen

2018 F150 EB Super Crew FX4

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull #405

• Moderators

Now that you know about "open" and "close" all you have to remember is to actually "open" and "close" it.  Don't ask me how I know this!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
Now that you know about “open” and “close” all you have to remember is to actually “open” and “close” it. Don’t ask me how I know this!

Bill

I won’t ask because I know how you know!  I think about everyone has forgotten once or twice to open while setting up camp.  It gets  back to checklists/routines/flags/double checking/etc.  Mike

• Like 2

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

"Certainly I can remember something as simple as THAT!"

Which is the reason I now carry 2 rugs for the bath floor so I can still have one to use while the other one is drying.

Bill

• Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 years later...

How does this system work WITHOUT the auto drain option? Is the option simply an electric switch vs a manual valve? I'm trying to understand what the $300 gets me and how things work without one.

John and Jodi

San Antonio, TX

2022 Elite II - Hull #1126 being pulled by a 2022 F-150 Powerboost.

Map Legend: Red - Driven Through; Orange - Stopped In; Blue - Explored Parts; Green - Explored Whole

States 20230917.png

4 minutes ago, John and Jodi said:

How does this system work WITHOUT the auto drain option? Is the option simply an electric switch vs a manual valve? I'm trying to understand what the $300 gets me and how things work without one.

Without the Auto feature, there is a regular pull handle in the bathroom wall down low, You push it IN for travel (closed), OUT for camping (open). It operates a waste valve just like the other two ones in back. It actually opens and closes the grey tank vent, to allow it to work correctly. Is it worth $300 to not do it by hand? Only you can answer that. I would rather buy something actually useful with the money. Like a TPMS system

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John and Jodi said:

TPMS?

Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

I use the TST TPMS.  There are other good ones, Tireminder is one.  I have a sensor on each trailer wheel.  Tells me the pressure and temperature of each tire.  If there is a sudden reduction in pressure I get an alarm.  Mike

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

I use the TST TPMS.  There are other good ones, Tireminder is one.  I have a sensor on each trailer wheel.  Tells me the pressure and temperature of each tire.  If there is a sudden reduction in pressure I get an alarm.  Mike

We will definitely get a TPMS.   Is that something that you get in Hohenwald or will OTT put that in?   It's not an option so I assume it's on us to install.   If we put it in,  I figure it's probably one more thing that I need to buy to bring to Tennessee when we pick up in November. 

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Auto drain valve? One more thing to break, IMO. I like the KISS principle here. TPMS? We also have the TST system. If you plan to bring it to your delivery, take some time at home to program it for the correct tire pressures before you go down. One less thing to do in Hohenwald.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

We have the manual drain valve and like many others have forgotten to open it once or twice!!  It is on our check list now.  The manual is easy to use.  Automatic won't solve the problem of forgetting to open or close the valve.  I have to agree manual in this instance makes sense.  One less thing to fail for whatever reason, and reallocating those funds for tpms is a terrific idea.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, John Welte said:

We will definitely get a TPMS.   Is that something that you get in Hohenwald or will OTT put that in?   It's not an option so I assume it's on us to install.   If we put it in,  I figure it's probably one more thing that I need to buy to bring to Tennessee when we pick up in November. 

You need to have your TPMS when you get to Hohenwald.  There’s not much to installation…. With the TST you just screw the sensors onto the tires, do some programming (button pushing) on the small monitor and you’re done.  Mike

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Trainman said:

I personally don't know which way is open, or closed. 

You'll know to place the valve in the "other" position when your feet get wet.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Trainman said:

That's one of my wife's jobs to control that valve, I personally don't know which way is open, or closed. 

trainman

In is closed.  When you push it in, it moves the valve down to closed position.  Just like the black and gray tanks.

• Like 1

My wife and I took delivery of LEII Hull 990 on 2/17/22.  Among the options we chose was the Auto Drain, for $300.  There is nothing "auto" about this drain switch,  I had incorrectly assumed this switch closed the valve preventing back flow of grey water into the shower using some motion sensor to determine when the trailer was in motion.  Not at all.  The switch (mounted just inside the closet on the left side) flashes a red light continually when open, and no light when closed.  To change state from open/close a rocker switch at the top must be held until the valve fully opens or closes.  I find flashing red lights annoying, usually indicating some malfunction.  I recommend avoiding this option.

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2

spacer.pngNorth Texas | 2022 LEII, Hull #990, delivered 2/17/22 | 2014 BMW X5 35d

On 2/25/2022 at 5:49 AM, Mike and Carol said:

You need to have your TPMS when you get to Hohenwald.  There’s not much to installation…. With the TST you just screw the sensors onto the tires, do some programming (button pushing) on the small monitor and you’re done.  Mike

Mike,  I watched the video on how to set it up.   Looks easy.   Thanks for confirming that. 

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Mike,  I watched the video on how to set it up.   Looks easy.   Thanks for confirming that. 

Make note of the support phone number just in case you have any questions.  They are excellent!

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

1 minute ago, mossemi said:

Make note of the support phone number just in case you have any questions.  They are excellent!

Mossey

Are you referring to TechnoRV?   That was the video I watched. 

spacer.png

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, John Welte said:

Are you referring to TechnoRV?   That was the video I watched. 

No!  The TST support team is who I was referring to.  Sorry about the confusion.

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”