Shower floor drain.

• Moderators

That’s a good question.  It’s not like the shower basin is big enough to take a bath in.  The backflow gate prevents gray water from sloshing back into the shower drain while moving, so I don’t know why it is there and not just an open drain.  There must be a reason and I’m sure someone will enlighten us!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

It does stop water from sloshing back up into the shower.

I've left ours open before while traveling and had a very dirty shower floor when we stopped.  The water will slosh up into the shower, through the open drain fitting,  when braking, and then drain back out when stopped, leaving junk behind.  It's best to remember to close it before traveling.  Our, just needs to be stepped on and it toggles from staying open, to staying closed.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

They stopped putting those pop up drains in a few years ago, I think right after a similar question was asked here on the forum.  I do think that there was a reason behind them, perhaps at first there was no shutoff valve, then they added the valve but didn't change the drain.  Something like that.

I'm sure it can be replaced easily.  Personally, I prefer them, since the shutoff valve also shuts off the grey tank's access to the plumbing vent.  The drawback is that it sticks up a bit, so some of the shower floor covers, like the nice teak ones, have to be made with a cutout for it.  I guess if it doesn't drain well, that's also a drawback, though this is the first time I know of that anyone has complained about them.  I wonder if there's a blockage in yours or perhaps it's not opening completely.

• Moderators

So, the newer trailers don't have a popup? I never noticed.

Our 2008, #12, has both the manual shutoff, and the popup. I keep the popup closed unless actually using the shower, close the valve when traveling.

Never really thought about the redundancy. It does help keep dirt and small objects out of the drain, I guess....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Yes, the pop-up was originally used to prevent the dreaded grey tank back splash.  But, it didn't actually work all that well so the manual shut off valve was added.  Then the "power" switch was added as an option.  Around the same time as the power switch, the pop-up drain was discontinued.

As Overland says - the pop-up drain should not drain slowly (of course assuming that you have it in the up position when trying to drain the shower pan with the manual or power valve also in the open position).

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for all of the input. I now have a better understanding of the push drain. After removing the push drain and a good cleaning of all the gunk etc, the drain is working much better. We bought the trailer used and I am not sure it was ever cleaned.

• Moderators

Glad that worked for you. An easy item for the previous owner to forget to clean, I guess. Simple enough to do when cleaning the shower floor.

The black t-handle inside the shower for the grey water backflow preventer was actually an advance in the fiberglass egg world, back in 2008. Another fiberglass brand located that valve handle outside the trailer, resulting in some disconcerted folks, up to their ankles in water, who forgot to go outside and open the valve before showering.

A few of our friends, who moved up from that brand, had a special fondness for that black handle... :)

Maybe the drain popup is just belt and suspenders. I don't know. But I think all or most of the early Ollies had both the valve and the popup.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.