Propane Tanks - Canada

Steve-Gwenne

2 things: 1) I could not easily find an answer to my question via the search, & 2) I did not know which category to post my question.

Question: can we bring our 2017 Elite II (hull 224) propane tanks into Canada? I have looked at the Canadian web site re propane tanks but it quickly goes into technical jargon that makes my eyes glaze over. I figure someone here will have a ready answer.

ps: I also looked at the FB Owners site & could not find anything.

Thank you.

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

2017 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab Diesel

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

I've been back and forth across the border a number of times and have never been asked about propane tanks.  Nor have I ever read anything about a problem - other than the usual stuff about tunnels.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you go into Canada via the Washington state ferry system or transit through to Alaska, you must have your tanks turned off and flagged (I use red surveyors tape) and you may not bring more than 100 pounds total of gasoline (in cans) and propane. The language about propane is INDEED very confusing and they have not updated the page. I called to make sure last year.... They are worried about loose cans of propane, not “built in” tanks in RVs, which can be quite huge. As long as your bottle valves are turned off and your appliances are not running on propane, you are good to go. When you get to the waiting area for the ferry, an attendant will ask if your bottles are turned off, but unless you look confused he won’t even check.

I can’t comment on any Canadian restrictions, can you post a link?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We've done a lot of Canadian crossings.

Never been asked about propane tanks, in a land crossing.

You'll get questions about firewood, alchohol, tobacco, and probably extensive questions about weapons.

Also, sometimes, questions about produce and meat products. Check the Canadian board for what's allowed before you go. Usually, you get a pass on personal use items, but, everything should have a label, for meats. and any products containing meats. And pet food. They don't like eggs, raw or cooked, for some reason. I use those up before we cross. I usually have no fresh produce, either.

Don't carry firewood. Just as in the US, no one wants buggy hitchhikers. Leave weapons at home, unless you have the required permits.

If you can answer " no" to all the questions, you'll go through faster.

We had a casual search in a small port in Quebec, because the guy wanted to see our unusual trailer. The bigger rigs get pulled over more, I think.

We've had more searches ( though few) on the USA side. Much more strict about produce and meat products. Watch your supplies, use it up, and buy fresh on the other side.

My philosophy is to spend my money where I travel, and buy local. We've been rewarded with awesome Canadian beef, and fish. Especially, fish.

You should check the Canada website, and US website, before chucking stuff. There are small changes every year.

Put yourself in the position to be able to answer all the questions truthfully. Then, you're all good to go.

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We crossed (North) at Montana after visiting Glacier National Park. The crossing was easy, with emphasis on wood and weapons. The agent was most interested in three things, our vehicle registration, our wood chunks for the grill, and whether we were carrying any weapons, including, specifically, bear spray.  Oddly enough, we did not have a copy of our F150 registration. I typically drop that into my tax file when I buy tags for the year. He wondered how I could ever do that-"don't they check registration in Missississippi when you get pulled over?". I assured him that first, I seldom get pulled over, and secondly, even in Mississippi, the police have computers and check our tags before they ever approach.

He questioned about whether there was any bark on 0ur wood chunks.  While the wood was fairly barkless, the dogs were not. I think the agent got tired of hearing them and offered us a pass, but only after ascertaining that we had no weapons-including (specifically) bear spray. He must confiscate a lot of the spray-we had none.

Crossing back in (further East) to North Dakota, we had such an eventless crossing that I do not even remember the event.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

Bear spray is perfectly legal in Western Canada, just tell them you are camping in the woods. Self defense pepper sprays are very much illegal.

John Davies

Spokane Wa

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Well, John, my Google search text was; "can i bring filled propane tanks into canada".

Upon looking at the various 'returns' nothing seemed to explicitly provide an answer. I wanted to see the word 'yes' or 'no'. I looked at the Canada Propane site, including the FAQ's.

I am a lazy person & got tired of reading all this info & so created my question. I figured 1 or 2 Oliver owners had been to Canada. lol

Thanks to all the responses, I now know we <span style="text-decoration: underline;">Can</span> bring our filled tanks into Canada. All we need to be concerned about is bear & pepper sprays. lol

We are new travel trailer owners & have done very little travel ~~~~~

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

ALARDEFLGAINLAMEMDMNMSMOMTNJNCNDOHPASCSD   Map of Provinces I Visitedimage.png.f8ebba1142570e619cdfe801998f4b4d.png

• Moderators

Here's one link to Canadian traveler information. It's a good place to start planning for your trip, and the information is from the best source, the Canadian government.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/menu-eng.html

I don't think this has the answer to your propane question, either, but it will have answers to many other questions.

We've found the border agents to be courteous and pleasant. And you're on the right track, asking questions ahead of time, and getting prepared.

Have a great trip!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Ah --- thanks. I will review.

We are leaving in late May, from NC, for a 6 week, 14 stop trip to Nova Scotia. I am a big planner; I had all 14 reservations made by early March. I know many people prefer to be foot-loose & fancy-free but, I am too much of a planner & just plain cannot help it.

Thank you very much for the link.

SGC & GRC

Hull 224 [2017]

• Moderators

And, here's another, specifically about food and goods. Also Canadian government.

I consult this each time. Rules change.

You'll find a comparable US site, as well, for coming home.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4