So close to ordering an Ollie

Randy

My wife and I are "this close" to ordering an Elite and figured that the forum would be a great way to info before we do.   Is there a resource that goes through the optional equipment on the order form line item by line item and tells us of the pros and cons.  For example, we will be using a Toyota Tacoma long bed as the tow vehicle and wonder if the no sway hitch system will be needed.   Also would like some opinions on all of the electronics options.  Thanks!

• Moderators

Randy -

No, there is no pros and cons list for the items on the options list.  Certainly any pros or cons would be fairly dependent on exactly who was doing the proing and conning.  Many of these items have been discussed here on the Forum, but, you will need to either use the "Search" function or simply just start "leafing" through these pages to see what various people have to say.  Certainly you can also just ask if you have specific questions about any item offered.

In your example you will find owners that are virtually dead set against a weight distribution system while others simply swear by them.  As far as I know, we have never had an owner say that their Oliver swayed.  So, that feature of the Andersen hitch is not usually an issue.  Check with Toyota regarding as to the need for a weight distribution system - your owner's manual or labels on your hitch may be an easy place to look first.

Perhaps a good place to start would be to let us know a bit more about the type and style of camping you intend to do.  Then Forum members might have a better idea as to which direction(s) and/or options might be fitting for your purposes.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Yes, check your specs on the truck. The Elite is smaller than the II, less tongue weight, and less weight overall.

But, I heard from another Elite owner that uses the Anderson with his late model Taco in another thread.

Our Elite is a 2008. I don't know the current weights on new models.

Our Elite has served us really well for a couple and one or two small dogs, for 11 years. Have you seen one yet?

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

This close:

1. Were I you, I'd find out the tow ratings, payload, and hitch weight capacities of my Toyota,  to insure my Toyota was rated to tow the  smaller ollie. The larger one, the EII maybe out of the question. You may need weight distribution simply due to hitch weight limitations. For sway, no, the Ollie tows just fine.

2. Options are what fit your camping personality. You didn't state any profile. Boondocking, only stay in RV parks, a little of  both, must have electronic connectivity,  and on, etc...

I would like to help, but I can't. Good hunting.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

And I forgot to say, " welcome to the forum!"

Randy, are you new to camping, trading up from a tent or some other brand?

The options today are many, I know. Take heart . A lot of options in 2008 are already standard. Just a lot to work through in the decision process.

Here's our story, 11+ years in.

We camp without hookups 99 per cent of the time.

Removed the microwave. Added solar in fall, 2008. Most important to us is solar, and the freedom the small size gives us. We leave the bed made up all the time.

Added an inverter in 2009, died a few years ago, no plans to replace it. Never used it much.

We chase cooler weather, travel in the eastern half of us, and Canada, primarily. We camp often in North Carolina mountains.

Where do you want to go?

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

You can do like I did, check off the options that you really have interest in. Then you look at each one more closely ask questions check the forums. Then narrow it down to your own personal preference. You’ll have plenty of time to make final decisions before you get a production date.

• Thanks 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Where are my manners, I apologize for my behavior here.

Randy  - Welcome to the Oliver Forum.

Jeesh,  I'm losing it.

RB

• Thanks 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators

Hey Randy, welcome to the group.  I would echo some of the advice given.  Do you know what kind of camping you will be doing? If you’re big dry campers then solar, batteries, inverter and composting toilet are important.  If you are a traveler and will have hookups, then the regular toilet is okay and you may not need solar and the extra battery capacity.  It depends on what you see as what you will be doing.  If you have general questions on options, ask away!  There are some very knowledgeable and experienced owners here that can give thoughts and opinions on almost anything.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Welcome,

The Andersen is a cool lightweight hitch, but not without its own set of problems. They keep changing the design in attempts to fix those issues. Depending on the age and specs of your truck, I would DEFINTELY consider towing with a dead weight ball mount to see how your long bed Taco does. Where the Andersen excels is on undulating roads where the truck is going one way and the trailer the other. It helps immensely to dampen that frightening pogo motion. Without the effect of the urethane bushings under compression all the stress goes to the rear shocks of your truck. If the are old they may not be up to the task.

In spite of the advertising the hitch doesn't do a very good job of weight distribution, compared to steel spring bars, but you can use it without cranking down hard on the nuts and it will still provide great vertical dampening. If you keep the tongue light (don't order the front cargo tray) then you might not ever need this hitch.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/fyi-andersen-wd-hitch-ball-locking-up-or-load-noise-11/

If you will tell us your camping desires and your tow vehicle specs (payload, engine, gearing, tow options) we will be happy to argue about them.... ;) I'm a huge fan of Toyota body-on-frame trucks but there have been a bunch of changes over the years that will affect how well your Tacoma can tow.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Welcome Randy, we are probably one that ordered our new Elite II with very few options, we are I guess what one person called us as travelers, that is we do want hookup and really don't look to Boondock, or at least not by choice, one night at Walmart is ok.  We even opted for the White counter tops (standard), Heather Oliver said they look great, just a lot of white in the trailer, but were into white and with our accent trim we will add, it should look great. No upgrades like, Solar, Batteries, and all the boosters that are offered, we did opt out on those to. Oliver builds such a nice trailer that which ever way you go I don't think you can go wrong, plus if later you want to add some of the extras just setup a time with Oliver Service and get it done. Plus we can always take along a Honda generator for those need be situations that can arise and it will run the A/C. Order your trailer to custom fit your needs and make it yours.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there a resource that goes through the optional equipment on the order form line item by line item and tells us of the pros and cons.

Nothing comprehensive that I know of, but I did create this thread last year which covers my opinion on a number of the options:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/reflections-on-equipment-after-shakedown/

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg