How to send and receive private messages/ pm

• Moderators

David S. brought this to our attention sime time ago. We ask people to use private messages, or pms, when sharing contact info (email addresses, phone numbers,et), to avoid that information being swept up by spammers, bots, and bad guys. Private messages are just that-- private. Only you, and the intended recipient can see them.

But, some members are new to forums, and our private message system can be a multistep process.

The simplest way to send a private message (pm) is to log in, click on the three horizontal bars top right ( dropdown menu button.) Click on the envelope. Click on compose new. Start typing the first few letters of the user's screen name, and when you see the correct name, start writing your email. Proofread, and hit send. Done.

( note: this is a much simpler process than our old system!)

Alternatively, if the person you would like to pm has a recent post, click on his username anywhere it appears in bold... in a post, at the recent users at the bottom of the page, or even in the "thanked by" section at the bottom of a post.

Clicking on the username will take you to the user profile, and you'll see an envelope. Clicking here will take you to the message box, where you can type your message, proofread, and hit send.

I added a few screenshots in the next post below as visual aids.

Sherry

20191028_083128.jpg

Screenshot_20191028-090413_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
Update for new forum software
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Administrators

The way email notifications for pms work is:

If you have not been logged in for more than 1 hour = sends email notification for pms.

If you are logged in or have been logged in within the last 1 hour = no email notification for pms.

• Thanks 1

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

There is a little button at the very bottom of your Messages page called Download Chats History. I just discovered it. You get an unformatted text file showing all the conversations. I am not sure why you might want to do that.......?

901D674C-DB8C-4430-9111-1B48C4784AE3.thumb.jpeg.1772a0e488c5ea3aca9af496c9d8610c.jpeg

Does anybody use this feature, and why? Am I missing out on something useful?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Nope! Never pushed that button.

Mike, go ahead and push it, I know you want to...

John Davies

Spokan eWA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

It's a nice feature for people who use private messaging a lot. You can download history, and delete old messages without losing the info.

Not a big deal for light users. There is a limit to stored messages. In the old dsys, it was 100. I think it's a lot more, now.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• The topic was pinned
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderators

John and  Nancy, Perhaps it works that way on  a desktop version. I work from an android phone or tablet. Here's how it looks on mine. 

If it's different on a desktop, I need to add that info in an edit to my post. Thank you!

Sherry

Screenshot_20200605-062753_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200605-062820_Chrome.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, it's easier on a desktop. One less step. As John & Nancy said, just click on the envelope in the upper right hand corner of the screen, after signing in. 

Thanks so much for letting me know this, John&Nancy!

Sherry

20200605_113552.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4