Anyone use a Hubodometer?

hobo

For tracking mileage for maintenance purposes, I would like to put a hubodometer on the Ollie.  Does anyone use one and if so, can you suggest a particular brand and model?

It looks as though they may be somewhat difficult to install and calibrate for an RV type scenario so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them.  This would be in the realm of "nice-to-have" if not too difficult but it's not a "must-have" item by any means.

I will also discuss with the Dexter rep at the rally.

Thanks, Hobo

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

I do remember seeing one installed on an Oliver.  Perhaps it was on ScubaRX's Ollie but I'm not too sure.  I'd PM him to check.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Hobo, I have never even considered one. What model? My main concerns would be the initial cost and the warranty. If electronic, how easy is it to replace the battery, and how waterproof is the display? How does it mount and how secure is it?

It is easy enough to record miles towed in a spreadsheet. You need to record the service stuff anyway. Why not record your trip miles too?

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-davies-rv-travel-log-service-inventory-spreadsheet-excel-numbers/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

In mind of John's suggestion:

I'm not sure about other brands of 1/2 ton trucks, but, the Ford F-150 will let you chose which trailer you are towing (if there is only one then there is no choice given and the process is automatic) and then the truck's computer automatically tracks the mileage driven with that trailer.  No "alarms" can be set to note when maintenance is due but it is very easy to simply scroll through the various dashboard screen.  And, each time the trailer is connected you are automatically taken to that set of screens on the dash.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

My truck is not that sophisticated.  My gps on my phone would also track miles but I'm old school.  I want to walk over to my trailer, look at the hub and see the mileage without looking it up anywhere else if possible.  There are dozens of ways to figure out the mileage on the trailer but an odometer would be my first choice.

I'm only looking for the analog version.  No batteries, no signals, no electronics, no tracking devices, etc.

I'll check with the folks at Dexter to see if they have a recommendation.  If not, no big deal.  I was just wondering.

Thanks.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Still means you need a paper or computer log...which is what we've always done. Boats, cars, trailers.

Not so big deal.

We keep a book in the side pocket of the truck. In there, we track mileage, maintenance, upgrades, and a log of all our camping adventures.

It's fun to look back...

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Probably what we'll end up doing in the end too.  I was just exploring the hubodometer as one option.

Once we pick up the trailer (next week) my guess is we'll discover more pressing items that we need to spend our limited re$ource$ on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Like that, Newshoes, but we prefer bound journals over spiral. We have log books from the boat over 40 years old. It's fun to go back and read and relive the old adventures...

We add notations on important mechanical upgrades, repairs, and maintenance.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.