Travel Lights Come On Randomly

The lights that come on when hooked up to the tow vehicle (the little ones on the sides and back of trailer) come on occasionally while the unit is in storage with no hookups of any kind. Anyone know where I begin to look to figure this out. I have zero idea.

• Thanks 1

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

Posting Daily - National Parks, Camping and more.

• Moderators

I think that the most likely source of the problem would be at the trailer connector/pigtail that you plug into your tow vehicle.  I would look for a short there most likely caused by water and/or dirt.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Well that did not work unless I did not do it sufficiently. It appears clean and dry. I am attaching photo. Any other suggestions as to a cause or how I might clean this better? Appreciate any help.

IMG_4961.thumb.jpg.228abdb1a4ece33a52f29ecbdff96afe.jpg

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

You need to take the center part out of the housing to check for corrosion where the wires hook up inside. Usually there is a clamp where the cable enters in back, and also a small set screw that goes in from the side to anchor the inside part. I don’t have any pics, but I am pretty sure the Ollie one is built that way.

Those little lights are called running lights, the ones up top are clearance lights.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Super, thanks, that fixed the light problem (and thanks for the terminology). My last question is this something that is ok to just thoroughly clean or should I replace this part. Also, when I put it back together can I seal it with a gel that I can break loose but that ought to keep out dirt and water?

IMG_4962.thumb.jpg.55a87f2b3431fd68f888393368c73c8f.jpg

• Thanks 1

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

That is pretty gross, but I guess you found your problem. That blue-green glop is corrosion and it is conductive, so current is flowing where it should not. You can clean it up with isopropyl alcohol or electric contact cleaner (not a harsh one like brake cleaner) and an old toothbrush. That will probably keep you on the road for a few months.

As bad as that looks, I would consider putting a complete new harness on the trailer. The inside of the wires, the copper conductors, are also corroded and you can't clean that.... There is really no way to stop moisture from entering, but it is OK to seal the back where the cable enters to keep out water, using silicone sealer, and always leave the plug hanging downward when not hooked to your truck. That way any moisture will hopefully drain out.

You should spray some cleaner inside annually at least, to just flush out the crud. If you have compressed air, blast it afterwards, watch your eyes!

This might help.... http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-junction-box-for-trailer-harness-repair-or-extend-the-harness/

Good luck,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

Those plugs tend to get moisture inside when it rains. Try to store it somewhere it can stay relatively dry. What happens is the moisture will short the positive (connected to the batteries) to the wire going to the clearance lights and make them come on. I wouldn’t seal it up too tightly. If moisture does get in it will just make it harder to remove.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and good information. I appreciate the response. Off today to replace the plug.

Remember that you can have the exact same problems with the other connector, the one on your truck. Clean it occasionally. If it is a factory one and made of plastic it should be reliable for many years, if an aftermarket one, who knows? An old add-on socket with a silver steel housing is a time bomb. The corrosion will short out the hot wire(s) to the housing and blow a fuse. I have seen old steel ones that were a rusty nightmare inside.

Good luck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Good information, appreciate it all. I replaced the trailer side and cleaned the truck side. It is factory but it has been on there for 12 years, so it needed it. Everything actually works. All things, among thousands more, I did not know.

• Thanks 1

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com