How to Replace a Broken Bathroom Door Mirror?

I'm looking for a step by step instructions for uninstalling a broken mirror and reinstalling a new mirror in the Bathroom Door. If you have, or know how, please forward to me. I've got a local glass company with the mirror, but don't want to undertake this without some instructions for taking the door apart.

Thank you,

Duane

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

• Moderators

Duane -

I do know that this has been done by at least two Oliver owners and (hopefully) they will chime in here.  However, if it were me, I'd give Jason and/or Richie in the Service Department at Oliver a call.  I'm sure that they will be able to help you.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 5 weeks later...

I've successfully replaced a broken Bathroom Door Mirror. It was pretty darn easy, however I'm going to provide step-by-step instructions below for anyone who has any concerns about how to do it one's self.

Note: Be very careful handling glass! It's possible to get severe lacerations, if you're not reasonably careful. You may want to wear some light work gloves with silicone grippers on the fingers. Mirror has Safety Backing which is intended to keep broken mirror from having exposed sharp edges, but it's not perfect.

1) Order a new Safety Mirror w/Safety Backing in these dimensions 18.5" X 61" X 1/8" from your local glass store. I don't recommend picking it up until you have the broken one removed and can bring the Plastic Backing Board to provide added support for the new mirror when transporting it home.

2) Remove door from Ollie by unscrewing the 4 screws on the hinge side of the door inside the bathroom. When the last screw comes loose, be ready to carefully lift the entire door and hinge assembly from the fiberglass door opening.

3) Place the door on a open, flat surface. Begin by removing the 2 screws that hold the door handles to the frame, and set those aside. Next, remove the plastic door latch by removing it's screw, and set aside. Next, there are 4 screws, one per corner, that hold the aluminum frame together. It probably doesn't matter where you begin, but I started by removing the two screws on the long side opposite the hinge.  Set screws aside, and begin to gently work the aluminum frame from the mirror, the 1/8" plastic backing, and the silicone seal that holds the mirror in the frame. Once off, set aside. Move to either the top or bottom frame piece, Loosen until free, the screws that stay connected to the hinged frame piece. Carefully remove top and bottom frame pieces.  Finally, remove hinged side from mirror.

Note: Be sure to notice how the one piece silicone seal is placed on the mirror edges. Notice how it fits on the corners. You'll want to duplicate that exactly with the new mirror, if you want it to go back together easily.

3) Remove Silicone Seal and set aside. Carefully remove Plastic Backing Board from 1/8" mirror. It was glued to the mirror, so it may take some gentle prying. Mine came off easily because the glue was no longer holding them together.

4) Take Plastic Backing Board to glass shop to glue or tape to new mirror before transporting. Make sure your vehicle has a flat space long enough to support entire mirror. It would be a bummer if you hit a bump and it broke before you got home. New mirror cost me $130

5) Begin reassembly by removing tape if it was used to keep backing board on mirror. Place Silicone Seal on new mirror exactly the way it was on the broken mirror. I recommend starting with the hinged side first. Very gently work the mirror, backing board and silicone seal into the hinged frame piece such that the top and bottom frame pieces will fit perfectly to the 45 degree angle cuts. This allows for perfect screw and threaded holes to align perfectly.

6) Gently press top/bottom frame pieces onto mirror/backing board/silicone seal such that they match perfectly with hinged piece. Screw the top and bottom screws from the hinged side into the top and bottom pieces.

7) Now install the other long frame piece until it matches perfectly with the top/bottom pieces. Once together, install the two screws you set aside.

8) Now you can reinstall it into the trailer. Simply lift into place such that frame holes align holes in fiberglass opening. Replace screws till tight.

9) Lastly, reinstall Aluminum handles and Plastic Latch.

Voile! You have a new mirror which you will never allow to break again because you learned your lesson the first time, as I did LOL.

• Thanks 12
  • Like 2

2018 Elite

TV - Audi Q5 3.0 TDI

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Liana - 

Most broken mirrors are a result of either leaving the door unlocked while in transit or in applying too much torque to the frame of the door while opening/closing it (i.e. opening the door from the top or bottom thereby twisting the frame or slamming the door against the dinette seat when opening.

In any case - instead of going to a local glass shop for a replacement, I'd call Oliver Service and ask what they want for a replacement - it could save you some money.

Good luck!

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If mine ever breaks, fingers crossed, I will replace it with a white fiberglass panel. I never understood the need for that huge heavy fragile dangerous piece of glass.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

Does anyone know the weight of the mirror?

Actually I would prefer a proper door with a real (secure) latch instead of magnets.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, it will be helpful in modifying our Door. We plan on modifying our Bath Door by converting it to a Nautical Looking "Panel Door," something you would find on a Classical Sailboat, probably made of Teak.  By removing the Mirror and replace it with a 1/4 Teak Panel, we hope to keep the weight close to the original door. The Teak Panel will take the place of the Mirror within the Door's frame. The exterior of the Door will consist of two panels, 40% upper over a 60% lower panel. These panels will be framed by 1 1/2 - 2 inch wide Teak. A Towel bar will divide the two panels, while a Chrome 15 inch Port Hole Mirror will be mounted in the Top Panel. 

• Moderators

@Pat Maundrell sounds really pretty,  but heavy, too. Might get away with the quarter inch veneered ply, but the towel bar, plus towels, trim, and porthole mirror may very well be too much for the frame and hinges. The sheet of mirror and plastic backing really don't weigh much, compared to what you have described. 

If you really want that, you may be looking at a new frame and hinges, imo.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I love the extra visual "depth " of the bath mirror door.

If I  ever gave it up, I'd probably look at matching formica or other brand panels, for the bath door and fridge. Imo.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Has anyone investigated or formed a plan on how to deal with the seven years of bad luck resulting from the breakage of said mirrors?

• Haha 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 5:41 AM, topgun2 said:

Liana - 

Most broken mirrors are a result of either leaving the door unlocked while in transit or in applying too much torque to the frame of the door while opening/closing it (i.e. opening the door from the top or bottom thereby twisting the frame or slamming the door against the dinette seat when opening.

In any case - instead of going to a local glass shop for a replacement, I'd call Oliver Service and ask what they want for a replacement - it could save you some money.

Good luck!

Bill

I thought the mirrored acrylic in the lav overhead cabinet would be a good substitute. I'll have to search for a vendor, per Jason in service

• Like 1

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, DonnaDuane said:

I've successfully replaced a broken Bathroom Door Mirror. It was pretty darn easy, however I'm going to provide step-by-step instructions below for anyone who has any concerns about how to do it one's self.

Note: Be very careful handling glass! It's possible to get severe lacerations, if you're not reasonably careful. You may want to wear some light work gloves with silicone grippers on the fingers. Mirror has Safety Backing which is intended to keep broken mirror from having exposed sharp edges, but it's not perfect.

1) Order a new Safety Mirror w/Safety Backing in these dimensions 18.5" X 61" X 1/8" from your local glass store. I don't recommend picking it up until you have the broken one removed and can bring the Plastic Backing Board to provide added support for the new mirror when transporting it home.

2) Remove door from Ollie by unscrewing the 4 screws on the hinge side of the door inside the bathroom. When the last screw comes loose, be ready to carefully lift the entire door and hinge assembly from the fiberglass door opening.

3) Place the door on a open, flat surface. Begin by removing the 2 screws that hold the door handles to the frame, and set those aside. Next, remove the plastic door latch by removing it's screw, and set aside. Next, there are 4 screws, one per corner, that hold the aluminum frame together. It probably doesn't matter where you begin, but I started by removing the two screws on the long side opposite the hinge.  Set screws aside, and begin to gently work the aluminum frame from the mirror, the 1/8" plastic backing, and the silicone seal that holds the mirror in the frame. Once off, set aside. Move to either the top or bottom frame piece, Loosen until free, the screws that stay connected to the hinged frame piece. Carefully remove top and bottom frame pieces.  Finally, remove hinged side from mirror.

Note: Be sure to notice how the one piece silicone seal is placed on the mirror edges. Notice how it fits on the corners. You'll want to duplicate that exactly with the new mirror, if you want it to go back together easily.

3) Remove Silicone Seal and set aside. Carefully remove Plastic Backing Board from 1/8" mirror. It was glued to the mirror, so it may take some gentle prying. Mine came off easily because the glue was no longer holding them together.

4) Take Plastic Backing Board to glass shop to glue or tape to new mirror before transporting. Make sure your vehicle has a flat space long enough to support entire mirror. It would be a bummer if you hit a bump and it broke before you got home. New mirror cost me $130

5) Begin reassembly by removing tape if it was used to keep backing board on mirror. Place Silicone Seal on new mirror exactly the way it was on the broken mirror. I recommend starting with the hinged side first. Very gently work the mirror, backing board and silicone seal into the hinged frame piece such that the top and bottom frame pieces will fit perfectly to the 45 degree angle cuts. This allows for perfect screw and threaded holes to align perfectly.

6) Gently press top/bottom frame pieces onto mirror/backing board/silicone seal such that they match perfectly with hinged piece. Screw the top and bottom screws from the hinged side into the top and bottom pieces.

7) Now install the other long frame piece until it matches perfectly with the top/bottom pieces. Once together, install the two screws you set aside.

😎 Now you can reinstall it into the trailer. Simply lift into place such that frame holes align holes in fiberglass opening. Replace screws till tight.

9) Lastly, reinstall Aluminum handles and Plastic Latch.

Voile! You have a new mirror which you will never allow to break again because you learned your lesson the first time, as I did LOL.

These instructions were a big help to me.  I broke the mirror in my bathroom door and was able to replace it by following the above directions.  My local glass and mirror place was able to remove the mirror from the backing and replace it with a new mirror.  Cost me about $100 to have this done.  I was very pleased to be able to do this myself, and the door looks like new.

• Like 3