Stainless Steel Power Cord Access - Plug It

If you have the newer style stainless steel power cord access you may have noticed that when plugging in your land line you can not close the cover to prevent critters or the weather from getting into the three inch opening. Here is a simple and inexpensive solution.

Purchase a foam beverage holder if you don't already have an ample supply. Trim about 25% off of it's hieght. Next, cut a slit from the hole in the bottom and up the side. The slit will all you to put the beverage holder around your power cord and insert the foam holder into the cord access opening. Does a pretty good job of sealing this up.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

Sherry

PS It was really great to see both of you Monday!

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I'll be implementing this innovative solution when we get home among all the field mice. I will not be surprised to see them chew through the foam, but it's got to be better than nothing.

I guessing that when the wind gets up the loose cover will bang against the side of the trailer, keeping us awake, so if anyone has a solution for this, please share.

• 5 months later...

Being a sometime woodworker I thought I'd try this. I had some scrap purpleheart hanging around looking for a purpose, so I made a plug with a cutout for the power cord. Why purpleheart? Because:

(1) I'm cheap.

(2) Purpleheart is cheap.

(3) Purpleheart has many of the same properties as teak, but at about the same cost as walnut. See item 1 above.

The green cord is there to assist removal in case the wood swells and the other end of it is attached to a block of foam stuffed into the cap to keep it from rattling around in the breeze. The whole works fits in the battery compartment while underway.

• Like 1

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

Clever, very clever ! Buddy, you do good work ! What if the plug was made of plastic and had a "o"ring to seal and hold it in place, and a magnet in the cap to keep it silent and from wearing the gel coat ? Maybe another magnet in the battery box to hold it in the storage position ?

• Like 1

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Plastic would've been my first choice but I don't know where to get my hands on a block of it 2 inches thick. The ideal stuff would be what they make the plastic cutting boards out of. Hmmmmm, maybe cut up a cutting board and glue the layers together and then spin it on the lathe?

I just went out and tried the magnet, but the cap is stainless steel. :cry:

• Like 1

Aubrey and the two wingmen, Woodstock & Rascal

Oliver #032, "El Huevito"

Ford F-150 4x4

El Juevito's Travels

• Moderators

Way to go ! Now, that's the way to stay focused ! I wonder if a couple of those "rare earth" magnets would hold the cap when the plug is in place ?

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)