Honeywell HPA compact air filters for pollen, dust and smoke particles.

468317E3-86F3-4645-A6EA-9C3968FFDC77.thumb.jpeg.af5f76914a954200e4a5fb7d8984d424.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYO2PM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using the middle sized (200 series) unit for several years in my 225 sq ft bedroom and it has been excellent. It traps a ton of particulates and with the bedroom door closed it makes the room much fresher feeling. For an allergy sufferer it is a godsend. I also use a HEPA filter element in my HVAC system but it can only do so much.... this gives me a “clean room” to stay in if the pollen or smoke is bad.

I have used it in the Ollie but it is really too big for that small space. I had to leave it on the floor under the table and pack the area with soft duffles so it would not move during travel. I just received the small one, it will work much better in the smaller volume of the trailer. It uses a single pair of filters instead of two pairs. The small one is a much better fit:

3662F8AC-AD1A-47EF-AAE1-AFB47B8D7E60.thumb.jpeg.f6a6c69a5cc3ff98a4a0edd4e6a2d44f.jpeg

And I have space in the closet for it to travel in. It is just a little too wide to fit in an overhead compartment.

3E2D29C5-3AC9-4E7D-AFE2-9F11715B1A8F.thumb.jpeg.931d20c82fccfab7dd67176aae54c288.jpeg

The medium one draws a maximum of 0.85 amps at 120 volts, the small one draws 0.5 amps, so there will be a measurable energy savings when running off the inverter and batteries. Plus it is a little quieter. There are four speeds. On Low it uses hardly any power, so I don’t worry about leaving it running all the time.

OEM filters are expensive, I use the way cheaper generics with no problem. I do vacuum the foam pre-filter often to remove the accumulated dust and I blow out the HEPA filter with low pressure compressed air to extend its life. The units have a filter minder to tell you if the airflow is restricted.

Air is drawn in the front and exits out the top, so you can place it tight against a wall, no worries. I really like this design.

I researched all the other manufacturers and models and decided on this one for a lot of reasons. The only thing I DON’T like is the easy open filter door (press in two places and it pops free at the top). This isn’t a great feature for a unit that will travel and be handled often. You have to be aware of this and check it sometimes to make sure the door is closed, otherwise.... highly recommended.

For those of you camping in the West during wildfire season, this would be very helpful to make the nasty air breathable if you get caught downwind. This is an accessory that you don’t think about, but after using it I would not want to travel without one. Cool fire pic:

B5495E87-B244-4213-A595-48399FEDC0FC.thumb.jpeg.ce6ecd584cbb5ac9718a9de2e8479c4d.jpeg

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/21/18107016/wildfire-smoke-weather-scientists-complex-nasa-noaa-firex

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 4 weeks later...

Spokane had the dubious honor of having the worst air quality in the country last night due to a rapidly growing 5000 acre wildfire directly upwind in the center of Washington. It was a sudden and completely unpredictable spike.

329CB147-D9F6-49E3-8120-9CC48E25642B.thumb.jpeg.3690742dc359ae5c27eb0597a79c22a8.jpeg

The previous bump was due to smoke from the massive northern Alberta blazes drifting southwest for a while. (That system is at 700,000 acres and still growing.) The AQ here was in the green before that one. Other than the tree and grass pollen .... ☹️ I can’t stress enough how valuable a HEPA filter is if you live in the West, or just travel here in your Ollie. It could mean the difference between comfort and distress, or worse for those with respiratory issues.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread, in time for pollen and wildfire smoke season….. Amazon has these for a great price, for the last year they have been unavailable or way expensive. This Medium unit (with one filter element) is appropriate for either Ollie, the Large one (with two elements) is better for a large home bedroom. I have both.

Honeywell HPA104 HEPA Air Purifier, Medium Room (155 sq. ft), White $123

Filters, plenty good and less cost than the Honeywell ones:

Altec Filters HEPA Premium Quality Replacement Filters Compatible with HPA200 Filter R Air Purifier, 2 Pack Fits HPA090, HPA100, HPA200, HPA300 HW HRF-R2 (HRF-R2 2 Pack) $22

Fette Filter Pack of 2 Carbon Pre-Filter Rolls | Compatible with Honeywell HRF-AP1, Filter A – Makes Up To 8 Air Filters Each Roll $20

These carbon filters can last a loooong time, instead of tossing them when they are dirty, vacuum and reinstall. The main filter HEPA element needs changing annually IF you run the unit all the time 

See also https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5790-how-to-window-dust-pollen-smoke-filter/ . The Honeywell filter and the window filters worked great last summer when we were trapped for a couple of days in southern BC, the smoke was so bad that ash settled on everything. The inside of the trailer stayed clean.

Breathe well.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1