Possible Solutin For Wear From Propane Tank Cover

Here is a possible solution for the where that is occurring where the propane tank cover contacts the trailer body. Not sure how well this will work since it has not been road test yet.

I found some felt drawer liner at Lowes that is sticky on one side like tape. I cut it into strips that I applied to the edge of the propane cover that contact the trailer body. Make sure to install the felt at the upper edge of the cover, you should be able to see some wear points. I think you will still need to clean this to prevent dirt and grit from acting like sand paper.

In addition to the felt. I found some clear automotive door edge protectors at Adavanced Auto Parts. I installed this on the bottom edge of the cover. The idea is that this is softer than the cut fiber glass edge. The trim goes on tight, but it can be installed.

The picture shows what I did, but it might be a little hard to see, especially the clear trim on the lower edge.

Overall the cover actually seems to fit a bit more snug.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thanks for the idea. We stopped at the auto parts store today, and added the clear door molding to the bottom of the propane tank cover. Cost was about $3 for two 27 inch strips. Instead of the felt tape on the top and sides of the cover, we used some strips of white ribbed bathtub non-skid (about $2 at Walmart) that I had left over... very inexpensive, thin, and hopefully, will provide a decent cushion.

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hello to All,

I just want yall to know that every time I read the posts it costs me about $100. Such good ideas are presented that I have to go get whatever is suggested so that when I finally get to pick up my Oliver I can be ready! In all seriousness, thanks for the dialog. The discussions on the various topics are tremendously helpful. I was planning on getting my Oliver during the Xmas holidays (the first time I have any holidays) but Robert asked if I could wait since the factory is upgrading or somethin' I told him that was fine. Hopefully it will be good weather in March when I travel to Tennessee. Agony!!! Doug - you and Geneva are just up the road. How bout if I borrow yalls for a while? Just kidding! In all seriousness, thanks again for all the discussion. Jam49

• Haha 1

Hello to All,

Doug - you and Geneva are just up the road. How bout if I borrow yalls for a while? Just kidding! In all seriousness, thanks again for all the discussion. Jam49

Let us know if we can be of any assistance. Come see ours if that would help you in any way. We'd be pleased to meet you and yours. We're retired and home a lot.

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...