Cold Weather Camping

MrBig1

We are currently just outside Frisco CO camping in Heaton Bay CG. Looks like we are in for a severe late spring storm. It's supposed to hit tomorrow bringing up to 18" of snow and last through Tuesday. We are all provisioned up and plan to ride it out. Currently running my Honda generator to top off the batteries.

The only thing that I'm doing differently, based on information from Jason, is running the Truma in Economy mode. If anyone has some advice I'm more than willing to listen.

In any case I look at this as a really good 4th season shakedown.

ALAZARCOFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMNMSMOMTNMNCOHSCSDTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Our two pups Muffinz and Maddie

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 6.6 liter 4WD Crew 

2018 Oliver LE2 Twin Bed, Hull #322, Our Igloo on Wheels

That storm came through here a couple of days ago and dumped a bunch of rain, we have had some severe localized flooding. It  was essentially stalled out, so any cells really put down some water. I hope it moves quickly past your spot.

My advice is, take lots of pictures. Stay warm. Wait for the snow to go away before hitting the highway.

John Davies

Spokane Wa

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Frisco has a really nice bakery downtown and the bar at the marina is good with a killer view.  There is a free dump station at Frisco's water/sanitation department which is located basically where the Blue River flows into Dillion Reservoir.  The oldest bar in Colorado is just a short jump up to Breckinridge (located on the west side of the road) in downtown (its a bit divey though but fun for a quick beer).  Good fishing on Ten Mile Creek on the West side of Frisco.  Other than that - take JD's advice and stay put 'till it passes and if it gets really cold leave the bath door open.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

From what I can gather this storm is breaking all kinds of records for this time of year.

Solar is useless right now so the generator is my battery charger. I have a Zamp 160W suitcase also but it has a 15amp charge controller that blew the 10amp fuse that is inline on the port. I installed a 15amp to replace it.

So far so good, we are warm and dry. Love this camper.

Storm-2019.thumb.jpeg.416e0e1e31ebcc7f4cb4441547f89e3a.jpeg

Storm-2019-2.thumb.jpeg.9dc1c5e7b032d0780525ab8c7472305d.jpeg

• Thanks 3

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Just a couple more pics to share. As I said solar doesn't do much good, lol. And makeshift generator shelter.

20190521_084433.thumb.jpg.4b0a75ddb2e8967753ee40949250c815.jpg

20190521_084449.thumb.jpg.0994afac7d56941ed36559e492a5b198.jpg

20190521_090249.thumb.jpg.f6b701c4a00ab972a5897b03fa33a3ad.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Nice pics.  We aren't camping yet but Ollie is at the house to prep for our upcoming trip and we got the same storm that you did. (Colorado Springs)

PSX_20190521_141341.thumb.jpg.0b6d9d2b9b24d2df466c154121b5abd4.jpg

We got 10-12" of wet, heavy snow overnight.  So much for spring!  I had to dig out the snowblower again.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

I have a Zamp 160W suitcase also but it has a 15amp charge controller that blew the 10amp fuse that is inline on the port. I installed a 15amp to replace it.

You may be OK with the 15amp fuse but I personally would not do it. The outside receptacle is rated at 10 amps max. Your 160 watt panel should connect to a pair of receptacles to share the load. It would be easy enough to add a second circuit and make a heavy gauge splitter cable.

Stay warm. Neat pics.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Just a couple more pics to share. As I said solar doesn’t do much good, lol. And makeshift generator shelter.

I love the middle pic. Can you please take another from the very same spot when the sky turns blue? That would be great shot for a Christmas card.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I love the middle pic. Can you please take another from the very same spot when the sky turns blue? That would be great shot for a Christmas card.

John Davies

Spokane WA

John nothing looks the same now. As the day went on the temps went up and most of the show melted. I guess in Colorado if the snow stays it has to be really cold.

• Thanks 2

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

You may be OK with the 15amp fuse but I personally would not do it. The outside receptacle is rated at 10 amps max. Your 160 watt panel should connect to a pair of receptacles to share the load. It would be easy enough to add a second circuit and make a heavy gauge splitter cable.

John,

I checked the specs on the Zamp website and found no amperage capacity mentioned. My solar suitcase came with a port compatible connector and has an in line 30 amp fuse. The port is equipped with 10awg wire pigtails so I believe it should have a max ampacity of 30 amps if I remember my code correctly. I installed the 15amp fuse just in case Oliver used smaller wires after the pigtail.

I have a call in to Jason just to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. It didn't make sense to me to fuse 10awg wire at 10amp when my Uglies Pocket Reference says it can handle 30amp with even the lowest rated insulation.

• Thanks 2

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

John,

I checked the specs on the Zamp website and found no amperage capacity mentioned. My solar suitcase came with a port compatible connector and has an in line 30 amp fuse. The port is equipped with 10awg wire pigtails so I believe it should have a max ampacity of 30 amps if I remember my code correctly. I installed the 15amp fuse just in case Oliver used smaller wires after the pigtail.

I have a call in to Jason just to make sure I’m not missing something obvious. It didn’t make sense to me to fuse 10awg wire at 10amp when my Uglies Pocket Reference says it can handle 30amp with even the lowest rated insulation.

My oops..... You have a Zamp and I an clueless about that, I assumed it was the Furuno like mine. That one is 10 amps, as stated in its Owners Manual. It sounds like the Zamp is a heavier duty unit. You should be OK but you are smart to verify. It would be good to have a max rating straight from Zamp. In writing.

I think the max load rating has more to do with how much current can be carried between the two pairs of  mating pins and their soldered connections, rather than through the wires themselves. For a really secure and reliable heavy circuit, like a winch or just something you want to be close to bulletproof,  I would pick Anderson Powerpole connectors. I am a huge fan of them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Well this concludes the test of my Olivers cold weather trial. Based on how she performed I hear by dub her Snowball. Snowball kept us warm and dry, nothing froze up or broke. Who could ask for more from a machine like this? BTW, If I've hijacked someone else's name for their Oliver we'll work something out. Thanks.

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Hmmmmno.

Point taken Overland. lol I'm sure that some other name will come to mind. Regardless, this shakedown has really impressed me. I used to take Olivers claim to 4 season camping with a grain of salt but now I can hit my "I believe" button. This unit is a great platform for full timing as a couple as long as you adopt a minimalist mindset and lifestyle.
  • Thanks 2

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

lol, I guess it pays to be first.  For a while we were unsure about Snowball, but then it grew on us and now we love it - it is a great name, at least we think so.  There were a couple of winter/snow themed trailers at the rally besides ours.  One had a really great custom graphic of snowflakes on one side and a sun and clouds on the other.  It was extremely well done - my wife met them but I was never able to get over there to talk with them.  And someone near us had a sort-of-snowflake on the front of their trailer made of circles.  It was also well done - they had a cool LED 'cloud' light on their propane cover that I wanted to go ask them about, but again, didn't find the time.

Something about Oliver owners that we go the extra mile to make our trailers unique.  All airstreams look alike; but more often than not, an Oliver is going to have something about it that's unique to their owners.  I hope that keeps up as the numbers grow - it would be a great tradition.

This pic just taken looking out my front door. I guess it ain't quite done with me. lol The second pic is from yesterday, same view. Things change quickly here.

20190523_180033.thumb.jpg.317df51a9e5511c5e1d9c52d5df07f55.jpg

20190522_191153.thumb.jpg.f204323fa0f72ec9056ce2cc668374ee.jpg

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless