Stepping up to a larger trailer

ThomB87

I currently own a 17' Casita. My previous trailer was a 16'. I also have a 17' bass boat. I am use to towing that size trailer. My wife and I were originally looking at the 18' Elite. That stays in my comfort zone. Also I like being able to fit into some place the sun blockers can't get two. However, the Elite II increase in size has caught my wife's eye. My TV is a 2018 Tundra  so it has the capability.

Anyone out there have gone from smaller trailer to the 23' Elite II? Any thoughts or regrets? Understand the Andersen hitch is a PITA I will need learn too.

Thanks

Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

• Moderators

Yes, I went from an eighteen foot stick built to the Elite II.  I've found that the main difference was not the length, but, the width.  Since the Ollie is basically the same width as most 1/2 ton trucks you do not need tow mirrors AND when backing into a site, driveway, etc, it is much easier to see even if you do not have a backup camera (I still highly recommend that you get the camera).  Absolutely no regrets!

Re the Anderson - I have no problem with it and have found that it is actually easier to use than the Equalizer WDH that I had on previous trailers.  All you have to do is learn how to use it (the Andersen) and it is a piece of cake.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have a 17’ LG MiniMax. I’m also wanting a larger trailer and also concerned about driving with it. I’d love an Airstream but they’re SO wide. That’s what appeals to me about an Oliver. I also like the quality. I have some issues with the Oliver’s but that’s another story.

We went from a Casita to a Escape and now our Oliver. The Oliver pulls much better then any of our previous campers. We also pulled our E2 with a Tundra for the first year. The Anderson is not problem once you understand how to use it. You will be fine and love it. ?

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

The trick to the Anderson is to hitch the ball and then use the front jack to raise the back of the truck a bit.  The whale tail plate will then go on very easy.  Also.... You don't want to pull an LE2 with most 1/2 ton pick ups without a WDH, so imho the Anderson is the best of the bunch.  Here is an article on half tons and towing liability. https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/get-sued-tow-trailer-with-pickups/

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Yes, I have already been through my Toyota Tundra manual. Anytime I reach 5000 lbs they say to use a WD hitch. The Elite II will easily hit that with any water and gear.

That is one of my concerns.  I am use to a trailer is just over 3000 lbs loaded. Mr BigTruck doesn't even know she is back there. The only reason till now for the larger truck is all the camping "essentials" I have accumulated got to much to fit in my old Taco. Anyway I will assume the Oliver to Tundra will be similar to the Tacoma to the Casita so shouldn't worry that much about towing. But then I think about that extra 6 ft and some of the smaller campsite I have had to maneuver around and into.

Based upon the feedback I am getting sounds like it is not as big as jump as I imagine.

Bill

Bill Thomas 2019 Elite II Hull # 534

2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2500

I to had questions about the Anderson WDH and really didn't want to use one on our new Elite II which we haven't picked up yet, July 8 is the pickup date. After being on this forum and having discussed it with others, including operation, etc., I have decided to go with one for all the reasons listed by many. I did my homework on this and I'm totally satisfied with the results that I got on my own and answers by forum members. I will be bring the Anderson with me when I get the trailer, either Oliver will install the hitch for me, or I will install it myself.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Bill,  It's good to consider everything and sounds like you are doing your homework on this.  For what it's worth.... I never towed anything before the LE2, so you will have a leg up on me.  On the road things are pretty straightforward.   It tows so easy that I have to keep reminding myself I am pulling a 6k + trailer.   As far as backing, I cheat there.  I have an F-150 with pro back up assist.  That said, I take opportunities to back it manually whenever possible.  I am sure that if you take things slow and easy an LE2 with your Tundra will be fine.   Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg