Brake wear on an elite 11

I have a question for the higher mileage elite 11 owners. What has been the average mileage for replacement intervals of your trailer brakes? I current have about 24,000 miles on our 2017, and i’m trying to get a feeling on how long they’ll last. I know that usage will vary widely ie; mountains vs flat land, but just looking for input.

One other question, do the linings or the magnets generally wear out first?

Thanks, Steve

STEVEnBETTY

I don’t have many miles on “Mouse” , but have used these Dexter brakes for decades. They don’t usually wear out unless you are really hard on them and don’t use your gearing on descents. What happens is that they get bound up from rust and/ or the seals leak, contaminating the linings. That causes violent locking of the wheel, very distressing. The Nev-R -Adjust system is a joke. The seals are pure Chinese junk.

There is not much you can do for contaminated linings, if that happens you need to replace both brake assemblies on that axle and use the high quality Timken seals to reduce the likelihood of a future leak. I already replaced the front set with a manually adjusting pair, which are dirt cheap, due to a failed seal. If the other ones go before I get around to getting discs, I will do the same for that axle.

I hate electric trailer drum brakes with a passion. Oliver needs to offer an electric over hydraulic disc brake option.

BTW at 24k miles you are way past due for an inspection and bearing repack.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We are over 40K miles. Brakes worked fine coming home from the rally. I will be taking it in next week for bearing repack and will have the brakes checked and adjusted. Last May I had them checked and adjusted and was told the brakes were fine. Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks for the response’s. While i would prefer hydraulic  disc brakes, our electric drum brakes are more than adequate for the job. I generally don’t make blanket statements, and while I prefer to buy American, I haven’t had any issues with the dexter supplied seals or bearings. I have repacked my bearings (twice), and the brakes are wearing evenly, I just want to get a better idea about how long they’ll last.

Steve

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

Fwiw, we just replaced our brakes this spring. 11 seasons, around 100,000 miles. But, ours is an Elite.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.