Acronyms and Terms Help

hobo

Been reading some threads on ""Where's Ollie" and have run across the term "COE" campgrounds.  Can someone explain?

Also, having been on the forum for some time now, I have noted several terms and acronyms being used that I finally broke the code on but:  how about a new category be created specifically as a lookup tool for someone who might not be up-to-speed on the trailer speak?  Maybe call it something like "Common RV Terms and Abbreviations".  It would be nice if the list was alphabetic, dynamic, and updateable and not just a placeholder for individual comments.

Is this doable?

• Thanks 2

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

funny - folks often refer to me as SOB, now I know what that means (Some Other Brand) - might be a compliment

• Thanks 2

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

Acronyms aside, I know there are terms and abbreviations that can be confusing. Keep up the responses.

I was reminded a month ago that many newbies didn't know that PM meant private message.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I learned at the rally that Oliver owners are called Otters, as in OTT-ers; which is not to be confused with a rally itself, which is an OTTOR, with an O, as in OTT Owners Rally.

(OTT, of course being Oliver Travel Trailers.)

• Like 1

• Moderator+
I learned at the rally that Oliver owners are called Otters, as in OTT-ers; which is not to be confused with a rally itself, which is an OTTOR, with an O, as in OTT Owners Rally.

(OTT, of course being Oliver Travel Trailers.)

The collective nouns for otters are bevy, family, lodge or romp (being descriptive of their often playful nature)

I submit that any gathering of Oliver travel trailers be termed a “romp”.

This would also be in keeping of the acronym OTTOR: Oliver Travel Trailer Owner’s Romp.

• Thanks 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

It took me a little head scratching to figure out why everyone kept talking about the televisions when I realized "TV" meant "tow vehicle."

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

I kept seeing references to OTTO which is "Oliver Travel Trailer Owners".

Seadog,

As a moderator can you see what can be done (or who has the ability/authority) to create an actual  index of terms?  It's nice that we are getting input but unless it's put into an organized, updatable, table of some sort, it will become ineffective in very short order.

There should be a standard template used so that submissions are easy to find and understand.  Example:

BLM (Bureau of Land Management)  A U.S. Department of Interior Agency responsible for .....(TBD)

COE (Corps of Engineers)  A U.S. Army agency responsible for....TBD)

SOB  (some-other-brand)  A term used by Oliver owners when referring to other brands of trailers.

OTTO (Oliver Travel Trailer Owners).

Submissions (for the actual listing) should be acronyms or abbreviations that are already commonly used.    For example: suggestions for new terms such as what to call a bunch of Oliver trailers traveling in a group, would only be added if and when a consensus is agreed to and the term is commonly accepted and used.

Suggestions for new terms could be vetted through a different thread.

I think this is a great opportunity to provide assistance to new and potential Oliver owners as well as some of us who have been around a little while but might be a little slow on the up-take (me).

I would be glad to help organize and maintain such a database but I don't have the ability to create it or the permissions to make changes.  I suggest too, that the list be monitored to some degree by moderators to ensure submissions are actually legitimate, commonly used terms used in the industry (or at least within the forum).  This shouldn't become a creative thinking and writing forum.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Hobo

• Thanks 1

Here’s a whole romp of abbreviations for you:

4X2 or 2WD - 2 Wheel Drive

4X4 or 4WD - 4 Wheel Drive

5er or Fiver - Fifth Wheel

A/C - Air Conditioning

AC - Alternating Current

A - Amp or Ampere

Ah - Amp Hours

Al - Aluminum

AS - Airstream

ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid

ATS - Automatic Transfer Switch

AWG - American Wire Gauge

BC - Brake Controller

BLM - Bureau Of Land Management

BTU - British Thermal Unit

CCC - Cargo Carrying Capacity (payload capacity)

CG - Camp Ground

COE - Corp of Engineers

CW - Camping World

DC - Direct Current

DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid

DS - Dump Station

Egg -  Fiberglass Trailer

FG - Fiberglass

FHU - Full Hook Ups

FT - Full Time

FW - Fifth Wheel

GAW - Gross Axle Weight

GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating

GCVW or GCW - Gross Combined Vehicle Weight

GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating

Gen - Generator

GTW - Gross Trailer Weight

GTWR - Gross Trailer Weight Rating

GVW - Gross Vehicle Weight

GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

HP - Horsepower

LE - Legacy Elite

LEII or LE2 - Legacy Elite II

LED - Light Emitting Diode

LFP or LiFePo - Lithium Iron Phosphate

LP - Liquid Propane

LT - Light Truck (tires)

NCC - Net Carrying Capacity (payload capacity)

NPS - National Park Service

OTT - Oliver Travel Trailers

OTTO or Otter - Oliver Travel Trailer owner

OTTOR - Oliver Travel Trailer Owners Rally

PU - Pop Up

PSI - Pounds per Square Inch

RV - Recreational Vehicle

SP - State Park

TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

TS - Transfer Switch

TT - Travel Trailer

TV - Tow Vehicle

TW - Tongue Weight

V - Volts

VA - Volt Amps (Watts)

VIN - Vehicle Identification Number

USFS - US Forrest Service

W - Watts

Wally World - WalMart

Wh - Watt Hours

WDH - Weight Distribution Hitch

WES - Water/Electric/Sewer

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Wow, that was fast, Overland, and a lot of info.

TPMS- tire pressure monitoring system

Sticky - a. A travel trailer constructed with wood frame and panels. b. A topic "pinned" to the top in a forum so it can always be seen

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Terms help.  The little square thing with the thing that sticks out and moves up and down. Different color wire things that stick out the back with screw things on it.  (Light switch) LS

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

OK, Great start but where do we park them now?  I think the list deserves higher level visibility than just a thread under one of the existing sections.  Maybe something over in the Oliver University area??

• Moderators

Hobo, we're discussing this on the mod site. But a number of folks are doing what we love most... camping. :)

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Continue to add comments, and we'll (eventually) figure out a way to make the dictionary happen.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 2 weeks later...