MaxxFan Stopped Working

I have searched this topic and found others issues but mine seems unique.  I have a 2017 Elite II.   First my switch in the cabinet over the TV marked Blower is on, I have checked my fuse under the table and it is fine.  I used my volt meter to check power at the fuse panel and it is good.  I removed the fan fuse and checked it there and it is good.  I checked the continuity of the fuse and it is good.  I pulled the fan panel down and checked incoming power on the wires- none.  The bathroom fan works and they are on the same circuit so from all this I can deduce somewhere from the fuse panel to the attic fan I have a power loss OR there is some circuit or switch I have forgotten about OR perhaps a sensor?  I can manually open the cover but neither remote nor on fan buttons will turn it on....because it is not getting power.  Any ideas?  I have exhausted my trail.

• Moderators

Perhaps it is that red wire from the inverter that is not working?

Seriously - it sounds like you have done what I would have done (and maybe more).  Do you have the ability to check continuity of both the positive and negative wires between the fuse panel and where they attach to the control board?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Check the back side of the breaker panel above the tv which is also called attic.  My drawing show the hot side is a black wire and the ground is yellow.  The drawing shows both fans on that circuit as you mentioned and the split or tap near the pantry but it could be in the attic.  I assume you used the ground in the fan housing when testing for 12v.  You might try a different ground source to determine which wire is failing.  Check the cabinet access port by the radio and solar charge controller which is where the power and ground tap may be if it’s not in the attic.

Good hunting,

Mike

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mike thanks for responding.  I will check today.  I did look at the wiring in the pantry portal behind the switches at the door because an older post with older trailer apparently had a switch there.  I did see a pigtailed yellow wire there.  On the fan itself, there is no yellow wire.  There are only two; black and white. 2 come in from one side of the fan and are wired directly to the circuit board.  I checked there.  Two more come in the corner where the circuit board is and use a connector to two black and whites.  Those two go to the switches on the front of the fan.  I disconnected at the joint and checked for power on the incoming connection and I checked there.  I am assuming the black is ground and the white is hot but I checked it both ways as I would only get a negative reading if I were reversed.

• Moderators

Yellow is Oliver’s ground wire throughout the trailer for the 12v circuit.  The hot wires change colors by circuit.  The confusion happens when Oliver wiring meets an appliance manufacturers wiring.  All of the lights in my Oliver that I have messed with have black and white wires.  I don’t remember for sure, but I bet black fixture wire is the hot input and the white is ground.  I think there should be some slack in wiring near the fan that you could pull out until you reached the butt connection.

I am confused by your description of the pantry portal being by the door.  The pantry I am referring to is the tall cabinet on the street side between the bed or couch and the dinette.  On the bed side of the pantry is a cabinet and it has a portal to get to the wiring for the radio and solar charge controller.  Other circuits run through there as well and there may be a connection for the Max Fan.  Oliver uses flat 3 and 4 way connectors and if the is one there, it would have 3 black wires.  One would be the supply/hot wire from the breaker panel in the attic.  The other 2 would go to the fans.  So by my way of thinking the supply/hot wire is getting to that connector because the bath fan works.  If the problem is in the supply/hot wiring, it should be that connector or the butt splice near the fan itself.  All of that should hold true for the ground side as well.

My LEII hull# is 193 and it is a 2017.  What is your hull number?  Oliver does not make process changes willy nilly, so the hull numbers can help us help you by finding hull numbers close to yours and things are similar.

Keep us updated and I’ll respond as my connectivity allows.

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

My hull number is 246.  I am familiar with the wiring behind the Furrion. I did look there again and don’t see any wires that look like they go to the fan.  BUT, I check again today at the fan circuit board and did read 14 volts power.  So this negates my earlier post of no power to the fan.  Had to make contact on the back side of board.  A little difficult so maybe I didn’t have good contact before.  Anyway,  That leaves the circuit board on the MaxxFan I suppose.  I will try to post a picture.

5ABB11EA-C641-48D1-988B-4FB5D0514995.thumb.jpeg.edf33f1ccc20155bae53bbd8cb4db4a0.jpeg

CDAF8AC3-442B-4BB4-99F9-77D79D9A4A33.thumb.jpeg.9f9738d4fbc31b295ddc66e1ab14dc56.jpeg

2D7B7B57-F5BC-40A8-A2ED-8C9162335D12.thumb.jpeg.d61bd4f2cff88296d0460eaffbc2e94c.jpeg

2D7B7B57-F5BC-40A8-A2ED-8C9162335D12-1.thumb.jpeg.2a72b62b6561cd5716ee5bcd0ae3e959.jpeg

2D7B7B57-F5BC-40A8-A2ED-8C9162335D12-2.thumb.jpeg.f8f265483232c08e1e43646eaa0fae70.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yep - unfortunately this is not the first board on that fan that I've heard of biting the dust.  I'd be willing to bet that you are out of warranty too.  But, I'd give the company a call to see if they would be willing to help you.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I'd try tech services at MaxxFan on Tuesday. They used to be really good with tech support/ customer service.

With all the troubleshooting you've already done, you should get a fairly quick answer.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Follow up.  I called MaxxFan and their tech support would only talk to dealers not consumers.  So I called Oliver and talked to Jason detailing all.  He said not that common but when they have had a problem with the fan, it was the board.  He mailed me a new one yesterday and I will be returning the old one under warranty.  Will follow up one last time once replaced with hopefully fan working again.  Thanks for all the responses.