Red Wire and the Inverter

Our inverter does not turn on when we push the button to start it. When I looked inside there is a red wire from the backside of the switch that is not connected to anything. If this is the issue, could someone tell me where to connect it? If it is just there to confuse the not-to-mechanical folks like me, any other suggestions as to why it will not turn on, no light on the switch and no power from inverter, would be greatly appreciated.

We are on our way as of Wednesday to Alaska for an extended trip and would love to have this working.

Thanks.

Dave

IMG_5034.thumb.jpg.55ccdfb46f9b64c350f82bb5146698b1.jpg

IMG_5035.thumb.jpg.9fba12999becbb72a1a90474a214065b.jpg

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

Posting Daily - National Parks, Camping and more.

• Moderator+

You can tell that wire was originally crimped inside a connector. I would bet it’s in the immediate vicinity of the bare end probably behind something and not readily obvious.  Look for another wire one that area (probably red but not guaranteed) with only a connector on it.

On a slightly related note, we too are on our way to Alaska. We are currently in Missouri slowly making our way West.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

That red wire is supposed to be for a vehicle ignition disable and if used would be connected to a vehicle's ACC wire.  I'm thinking it's a red herring, and may have just had a wire nut on it to protect it.  The switch above it is to enable/disable that feature.

Can you turn it on from the button on the front of the inverter?  If you can, that would narrow the problem down to the remote.  You might have to unplug the grey cable from the unit to make that work.

• Moderators

When trying to turn on the inverter via the remote switch (its the one mounted on the wall) I assume that you are holding down that button for about three seconds?

If the answer to that question is yes, then, find your inverter - on newer models it is located under the street side bed (rearward of the pantry on the street side) and on the older models it is under the dinette seat closest to the pantry.  There is a "start" button on the inverter.  Press that button - if the inverter doesn't start with either one of those suggestions then you probably have a loose wire.

Bill

p.s.  you could also try to disconnect the telephone type plug that is in the rear of the remote switch and then simply plug it right back in.  Then try the remote switch again as per the above.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Our inverter does not turn on when we push the button to start it. When I looked inside there is a red wire from the backside of the switch that is not connected to anything. If this is the issue, could someone tell me where to connect it? If it is just there to confuse the not-to-mechanical folks like me, any other suggestions as to why it will not turn on, no light on the switch and no power from inverter, would be greatly appreciated.

We are on our way as of Wednesday to Alaska for an extended trip and would love to have this working.

Thanks.

Dave

Mission accomplished. That wire is for an unused feature and should have at least been taped and tied up out of the way.  In your picture, that switch on the back of the remote must be in the disabled (down) position. It appears to be but flip it up/down to be sure. Will the inverter power on with the power button on the inverter control panel? It has to be pushed in for a second or two. Other than that, try disconnecting and reconnecting both ends of the remote cable.

“Don’t cut the red wire!” Wasn’t that a line in a movie? Mine is not connected to anything, don’t worry about it. You should fold it back on itself and secure it and also secure those loose floppy wires with nylon ties. Any excessive motion while traveling causes chafing and stress on connections and stuff. The earlier hull numbers like yours and mine have less than satisfactory wiring. Buy a big sack of good quality 11 inch nylon ties (not from Harbor Freight or Walmart) and whenever you open a compartment and see wires like that, lash them down. It could prevent future unpleasant electrical issues beside some isolated Yukon backroad....

BTW, where is your inverter located? Later units have it below and behind the pantry, but there are no furnace ducts there,  I guess yours is on the right side somewhere?

Good luck and above all, enjoy your big trip.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

WOW, what service! Thanks for all the advice. I will head out to the storage area tonight and try them in some order. After I secure the rogue red wire.

We will be leaving May 29th, with some stops in Northern Nebraska (two parks) Southwest SD, (five parks) friends in ND and then on to Banff and Jasper. First Alaska stop is Haines. Fly to Sitka and Glacier Bay, then on to Wrangle-St. Elias before Denali on 7/15. Then to Kenai. Have a few dates planned but not a lot. If you are heading that way - hope to meet you sometime.

I post a photo or two everyday, feature campgrounds (or overnights) and restaurants as well. At www.twolanetouring.com

Thanks again to all of you.

Dave

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

None of those suggestions have worked. The switch does not turn on when held for a longer time, removing and reattaching the plug nor holding the "on" button of the unit does anything. I cannot see any fuse or circuit breaker in the panel that has any control over the inverter either. Any thoughts on a next step?

Thanks for the assistance.

Dave

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

It may be fried, does it have a nasty smell? Inverters lead a hard life, yours may need to be replaced.

In your shoes, heading out on a huge trip, I would just install a new one, let the RV shop figure out and fix any additional problems. Assuming you can even get an appointment. I think you are at a decision point now.

Are you comfortable installing a new one yourself? After you disconnect the two inverter cables at the battery bank it is a simple and no risk job, 30 minutes maybe.  Unbolt three cables, unplug a couple more, four screws and out she comes....

OTH in your shoes I might throw the darned thing in the trash and do without.... mine failed at around 14 months and I got a free replacement. I don’t think these are especially reliable.

Good luck.

John Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

No smells of any kind.

We used it successfully one time, first week, to make coffee, then it would not do that any longer. Then over the next couple of months it would charge camera batteries. The following spring it would just screech, nothing else. Asked two RV places, Oliver and a local shop, they said it would not work if the battery was too low. Knew that-  but no help from either. Installed new batteries year two, still screeching when it was turned on. Now, of course, nothing.

I do think that a new inverter is a choice but next year I am going to install Battleborn batteries and will wait until I hear their recommendation.

Inverter, for us, was a total waste of money.

Dave & Cindy #076

Photographer * Traveler

www.twolanetouring.com

Well no offense but you should have told us this last stuff, first; it would have saved a lot of unnecessary conversation... It was sort-of working then made a horrible sound and quit completely. It is toast, pure and simple. It was only a waste to you because it is defective. Put a working one in and you might enjoy it. The unit has a two year warranty,... how old is yours?

John Davies

Spokane WA